The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Question regarding Kassian

Fehlhaber

Do you think that the media and fans have it all wrong about Kassian? For 2+ years now everyone has been talking about his size and complsining that he's not physical enough.

Since when does a big guy need to play physical? I'm starting to think that when you listen to Kassian talk, he's a giant teddy bear. I don't think he knows how to play a physical role.

I think it's time to put Him on a line and let him skate and play a scoring role. I think he will shine playing with the twins

It's easier for a big guy to play physical than it is to expect the little guys to do it.

By being physical, big guys can create space for themselves and their linemates. And if they have talent to go along with that, then they can start scoring some goals too.

Do you think that the media and fans have it all wrong about Kassian? For 2+ years now everyone has been talking about his size and complsining that he's not physical enough.

Since when does a big guy need to play physical? I'm starting to think that when you listen to Kassian talk, he's a giant teddy bear. I don't think he knows how to play a physical role.

I think it's time to put Him on a line and let him skate and play a scoring role. I think he will shine playing with the twins

Yeah I agree, I think he's more of a Joe Thornton type but a bit more physical. I like him with Kesler, he seems to elevate his play when he gets more ice time and better line mates.

A "teddy bear" that can end the career of a giant like Ben Eager in one punch.

In b4 the lock.

Don't really think this is thread worthy tbh - although a new poster, so not a big deal.

I agree he has the skill and upside to play in the top 6, but he also undoubtedly has the physicality to intimidate people.

Did you watch him in the WJC by any chance?

Kass is physical and has a boat load of offensive skill/potential which he shows flashes of every few games. Just that he has to focus on his consistency and maintain playing solid night in night out.

...Zack is a power forward and just needs to develop more..

He actually just needs to learn how to hit better....He has excellent hands for any hockey player (big or small)...and can skate. People just expect him to run around hitting everything...

Firstly, doing that can pull you out of position, so perhaps our 'knowledgable' fan base should use that knowledge before they criticize. That being said, he could improve his timing when he does hit.

However, he can fight like a beast, can shoot, skate and pass...just needs consistency. I think many fans want more now because we are desperate for the type of player he will develop into, right now....

However, people need to be patient and think about how valuable he will become on a team/line with Horvat, Shink and our youth, he is only 23...lol...

He will be a huge part of this team in the future and all those naysayers will be bipolaring the other way screaming his name and loving him

Becomes even bigger if you complement him with the right guys. Over the next couple yrs, lose tweener-duds like Booth & insert grit/size, & youth in guys ala Lain/Archibald/Grenier, etc.. by then Kassian will have been developed into a nasty, hungry & confident bruiser. In a yr or two, you WON'T see this squad pushed around much, if ever.

He actually just needs to learn how to hit better....He has excellent hands for any hockey player (big or small)...and can skate. People just expect him to run around hitting everything...

Firstly, doing that can pull you out of position, so perhaps our 'knowledgable' fan base should use that knowledge before they criticize. That being said, he could improve his timing when he does hit.

However, he can fight like a beast, can shoot, skate and pass...just needs consistency. I think many fans want more now because we are desperate for the type of player he will develop into, right now....

However, people need to be patient and think about how valuable he will become on a team/line with Horvat, Shink and our youth, he is only 23...lol...

He will be a huge part of this team in the future and all those naysayers will be bipolaring the other way screaming his name and loving him

I agree with all of this. The thing with Kassian is his skill set leaves you literally drooling at the mouth. He has the potential to be good at EVERYTHING. So much potential that it's easy to get frustrated with him when he has an off night. But he's a keeper for sure. He just needs to add that sandpaper to his game. Right now he picks his spots but he needs to be physical game in, game out. That way he's always helping the team, not just when he scores.

We'd all like him to hit a bit more but the higher priority is that he be solid positionally, backcheck, keep his feet moving, and all the other things Torts has been drilling into him. If he just finishes his checks in the offensive zone, that alone is going to wear the other team down. Once he gets the rest of it down, he'll get the occasional big hit in. His playmaking is really excellent for the type of player he is. I hope he gets an extended chance with Kesler and Higgins given his recent improvements, since he can learn a lot from them but also create space for them and set them up.

His style of play is more suited to being a centreman. He has great vision, and a good shot, and he is always more dangerous off the rush, or when he follows a play in as the trailer. He is great at finding quiet areas on the ice. And I think his size coming down the middle of the ice creates more space for his line mates than he does coming down the wall. For a big kid, he's not overly strong on the wall. Loses a lot of battles there. He just really has to work on his skating to be more effective as big centre.

His style of play is more suited to being a centreman. He has great vision, and a good shot, and he is always more dangerous off the rush, or when he follows a play in as the trailer. He is great at finding quiet areas on the ice. And I think his size coming down the middle of the ice creates more space for his line mates than he does coming down the wall. For a big kid, he's not overly strong on the wall. Loses a lot of battles there. He just really has to work on his skating to be more effective as big centre.

I've also recently wondered if he would be better suited for a centreman position. I agree with everything that you have said! People say that he is bad defensively. But that is solely based on the fact that he has a heck of a time getting that puck across the blueline. Which is a wingers job! The only other issue I have with him at centre has to do with him being weak along the wall. Do you think he could win battles down in the corners in the defensive zone? Is he quick enough to keep up with other forwards cycling in the corner or would they easily walk around him... Just a few of the things that I've been thinking about in regards to this

Archived