The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Nuckleheads 4-Penguins 5 (SO)

D.Doughty

Torts himself said he has never seen a team lose in the manner the Nucks are. That last night's game was a "doozie"; Sullivan called this team "Very fragile". Too bad some fans only wear rose coloured glasses and are so quick to dismiss what the coaches themselves are very concerned about.

Torts is putting on a brave face and handling the situation as best as can be expected but he is VERY concerned about the play of this team.

I think he is concerned about the mental strength of this team. You alluded to it but its whats driving the play. The Stanley Cup hangover can only be a reason for so long, then you have to question the leadership group and their mental toughness - which is why Torts is now realizing he has a bigger issue than he first thought about bringing that 'stiffness' he talked about so much.

Issue here is not talent, heck we are sending 8 players to the olympics, not sure of other teams but that has to be one of the top 5 in the NHL...that being said, fatigue may be playing a role...perhaps some of this falls on torts as well for not understanding the travel etc and overusing certain guys. This is why AV likely realized he needed depth, because he needed to roll four lines to keep this team fresh.

However, we also have no confidence, no swagger, no chip on our shoulders like we did in 2011, the 'you can't beat us / and we're always coming back from behind' attitude.

The boys need to find that again, how you do it, is by winning, but how you win is with that attitude, so its a chicken and egg situation...

If I knew the answer I'd be on the Canucks staff!

I didn't even expect Canucks to be close in the Anaheim or Pittsburgh games, but they were......

I continue to be impressed by Torts that he doesn't just look at the 2 minute breakdowns- but the whole picture.

Too bad some of the so-called fans can't.

people do forget they were down 2-0 and scored 4 straight goals, when it looked like they had packed it in..and against one of the top teams in the league...we are excited when we score 2 in 17 seconds but cant believe when Crosby, Letang, and Malkin do the same? lol

its a very fair point...we played hard for 40 mins and got a point when we shouldn't have, and Pitts did the same and got 2 when they shouldn't have lol...so be it...

I think fans are more concerned about these last minute collapses, too many times this year and you cant, cant cant allow that in the playoffs....

Reg season is to work out these kinks, and having a healthy lineup will be a big boost there, it will come. I dont expect much from this team in the playoffs this year anyways, MG needs to make some moves still and we need some youth in the lineup whether that be Horvat, Shink or Kass evolving into what we saw last night consistently...

My fear is how people will panick if we get knocked out first round this year...which i think we likely will regardless...this was a transition year we all know it...

As long as Kassian makes a leap this year, Tanev can stay as great as he's playing and get stronger next year, Kesler brings this game next year as well, Edler can find his game again, and we get a suprise from Horvat/Shink or Jensen I think next year might be the year we really go all in...

MG will rid us of Booth, we'll have alot of cap space for him to sign an impact player so...

I wish the Sedins and Kesler were doing something productive these days... Our only REAL top-6 forwards are acting like bottom 6.

Even with a fully healthy line-up, we are no match for the elite in this league. We desperately need a scoring top 6 forward (the player that Booth was SUPPOSED to be) to help carry the team.

Hate to say it, but Bieksa and Hamhuis absolutely SUCK.

The number of times I've heard "Bieksa gives the puck away" or watched Hamhuis run away from an advancing player with the puck.. URGH

I've even watched the opposing player at the half line with the puck start toward our goal and these two back away from him leading him toward our goal like air traffic controllers directing a plane towards the runway. Both are a joke, wonder how Hamhuis even got selected for Canada, after watching last night, if I was Steve Y, he'd be getting a call today telling him not to call back, we'll call you.

Oh and what's with the "chip and change" mentality?

We get halfway across the rink only to "chip the puck in" and head off to the bench. Is the bench the goalpost that everyone is aiming for? to get off the rink as soon as possible?

We get mired in our defense, we fight our way out, and "chip and change", well guess what? in ten seconds the puck is back in our zone. Maybe if we had everyone on the bench and let the other team have the rink to themselves we might do better than we are doing now.

Torts himself said he has never seen a team lose in the manner the Nucks are. That last night's game was a "doozie"; Sullivan called this team "Very fragile". Too bad some fans only wear rose coloured glasses and are so quick to dismiss what the coaches themselves are very concerned about.

Torts is putting on a brave face and handling the situation as best as can be expected but he is VERY concerned about the play of this team.

I said......."I didn't expect them to be even close in the Anaheim or Pittsburg games...but they were"......umm not sure how that equates to me wearing rose coloured glassed lol.....

Selective quoting strikes again....

I said......."I didn't expect them to be even close in the Anaheim or Pittsburg games...but they were"......umm not sure how that equates to me wearing rose coloured glassed lol.....

Selective quoting strikes again....

You also stated how impressed you are that Torts doesn't just look at 2 minute pieces but the whole picture and then made the arrogant statement " Too bad some of the so-called fans can't".

My response was directed at this quote. It appears Torts in fact does share the larger concerns stated by many of what you call "so called fans".

The linesman botched the faceoff on the 4-3 goal. Richardson was yelling at him after the goal. He dropped the puck on Crosby's corner of the faceoff dot instead of anywhere near the middle and then had the puck redirected off his skate. Should've re-done that faceoff.

Did you show that in your highlites? I didn't watch them like I usually do. Was fuming after the game.

The linesman botched the faceoff on the 4-3 goal. Richardson was yelling at him after the goal. He dropped the puck on Crosby's corner of the faceoff dot instead of anywhere near the middle and then had the puck redirected off his skate. Should've re-done that faceoff.

What was Torts trying to signal with a lot of hand waving to Richardson before the faceoff? I'm just speculating, but it looked like Torts wanted Richardson to just tie up Crosby's stick instead of attempting to draw back. Perhaps Richardson didn't understand and tried to draw back anyway (and lost the draw). If that is the case, then our Canuck centers ought to pay more attention and improve understanding of tactical signals from the bench.

To everyone that is writing of this team in the middle of January with a record of 23-13-9. You are the definition of a primadonna fan. Plan the parade when they win, write them off when they lose. Do you expect them to win every game? Go a full season of 82-0-0. Some loses hurt more than other and we’ve had two painful loses in a row. But if you truly think about it. PIT and ANA are what everyone believes are true cup contenders and we’ve had both of them down by a goal with less than 2 minutes left in play. I’ll take that as we can compete and have what it takes to beat the best teams in the league. Besides It’s best we get over this last minute break down garbage in regular season than compared to doing it in playoffs. On top of that, I truly believe having a player like Burrows on the ice with less than a minute left up by a goal greatly increase our chances of pulling out the victory. Everyone needs to step back take a breath and try not to overreact about a 1 goal loss where we were the better team.

and did we win? no, we pissed away the lead and lost so who cares if we had them down late in the game if we can't close it out?

that's like saying 2011 was a success because we got within 1 win of the cup

There are things I love about this team, and there are things that frustrate me no end. I take solace in the fact there are no shoot-outs in the playoffs - if we get there. When our goalies or our talent gets run I'd like to see a much more vindictive response - a response that is not concerned about winning the game in hand, but winning the season.

I love what Richardson brings but I feel we need the size of Lain and he might have faceoff potential as well as speed on the forecheck and added snarl to our 4th line..we have a small 1st line we need a big 4th line. The slot needs the size advantages.

Archived