The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Nuckleheads 4-Penguins 5 (SO)

D.Doughty

I'm having flashbacks to Canucks teams of the past, before the West Coast express, when this team used to cough up leads like it was going out of style. How many times this season has a team that is trailing pulled their goalie to tie the game on the Canucks? It's staggering. This team used to be able to hold leads. Now every team they play can feel at least hopeful when they're trailing late. I know they're banged-up, but this one hurts.

Hamhuis, Bieksa and Garrison are not veterans, they're in their prime. We need a Roszival or Scuderi-like defenceman who has been in the league for ages and who has Cup experience.

Hamhuis has played nearly 700 career games, and Bieksa is over 500. Both have them have played in the SCF, so yeah...

The problem is consistency, not experience.

It doesn't help that Edler is out, that means more minutes for everyone else.

Bieksa/Garrison pair has been not very good defensively.

Sedin's are tough to swallow.. but i'm starting to think the same thing. Need a change of culture. No finish with this team at all. Un ???? believable.

It makes me sad cause I love Henrik and I'd love to see him be THE captain that brings us the Cup; lord knows the Sedin's deserve that.

However, you don't win by being the most deserving; you win by being the best - something the Sedin's can no longer call themselves.

We won in my books. On to the next one.

Santo got pulled down at 4-2 with 3 min left and we got a power play and made it 5-2.

5-2 canucks win. Pathetic officiating as usual

well I would not say it's completely the refs' fault but say 90% their fault?

Outside of the huge choke job, I liked a lot about our game tonight...

- Lack played great again, otherwise the game would have been over after the first period.

- Sestito is starting to look like he could actually become a decent hockey player.

- Kass had another solid game and looked awesome on that second line with Kes and Higgy.

Notice a trend....it is the supporting cast that shows up more often than stars. Kesler looks useless...the Sedins more-so/ If they are injured, rest them, they're not helping the team win anyways. bloody ridiculous watching this team embarrass the organization with major choke jobs

We dont have the luxury with this . If we hang onto him another year we cannot amnesty the guy. I am all for trading him but if we cant this time, we bite the bullet and buy him out.

Why are we still going on to buyout/trade like it is such a problem and needs to happen? I do hope though they buy Lu out just so he can go and win somewhere. We aren't winning here for a long time.

I said it 1 year ago or so on here, we are going down the path of the Flames.

I knew we were a broken team with all our injuries against a powerhouse in Pittsburgh but all that effort..to come back and take the lead... Wasted... And to go out like that... There's no way you should lose like that on home ice.... This is arguably one of the worst regular season games ever....that should never happen... There's no word to describe the feeling I am having...

This has been something that has been prominent in the Canucks game this year - unable to hold onto leads. This game, obviously, was the most glaring of examples. :picard:

This team is playing themselves out of a playoff spot. And at this point? I kind of hope they do. They don't have the firepower to beat elite teams (Pitts, Chicago, Ana or SJ) - they just don't have it this year. Injuries are partly to blame. The rest? The players are just beating themselves. Mental gaffs that shouldn't happen, lazy defense, absolutely no clutch in our forwards this year. Top down, it's disappointing. Call it an off year, whatever, this team is not going to win Stanley this year - it's not happening. I'd rather get a higher draft pick this year than watch us get our butts handed to us and sent to the golf course in 4 or 5 games in the first round - for the third straight year.

Some positives:

- Kassian has looked great this game - goal (and an assist, I believe). He's making use of the injuries to his team and getting his chance to make a case for himself why he should be playing in a top 6 position.

- Hansen had a strong game; He's much better suited to the third line and it shows. Good passes tonight.

- Higgins also looked to have a good game - a bounce back from the flu.

- Tanev: he and Hamhuis are consistently our best defensemen out there. Glad he's doing well this year.

Other than that, the last 5 minutes were brutal to watch. :picard:

Archived