The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian making a case for himself

TheRussianRocket.

Again, props to Kassian for seemingly establishing himself, but typical Canucks. We're finally going to have this 'power' guy to use... But nobody else.

Just like we finally have a great coach around... But the team is well into their decline.

1-forward-2-back.jpg

I'm not sure "well into their decline" is accurate. Definitely they are in a decline, but not well into it. It can still be turned around, perhaps not this season, but it is possible.

I'm not sure "well into their decline" is accurate. Definitely they are in a decline, but not well into it. It can still be turned around, perhaps not this season, but it is possible.

Indeed. We pick up a legit top 6 UFA this summer, Horvat contributing on the third next year, Kassian further developed (he's coming along nicely under Torts), Hank healthy (it's been painfully obvious he's been playing banged up for at least a month), Healthy Burr etc.

Everybody's pointing to the twins slightly diminished numbers this season and saying that they're in decline forgetting that they've been playing with nobody for the most part, their secondary scoring support has been even less than the paltry support of the last few years and Hank (and I wouldn't be surprised if Daniel is too) has been banged up for a good while.

Them healthy again with ACTUAL scoring support and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them in the 90+ point territory again next year and a much better overall team.

Sedin, Sedin, Burr

UFA, Kesler, Kassian

Higgins, Santorelli, Horvat

Sestito, Richards, Hansen

Lain/Archibald/Weise etc as spares.

Indeed. We pick up a legit top 6 UFA this summer, Horvat contributing on the third next year, Kassian further developed (he's coming along nicely under Torts), Hank healthy (it's been painfully obvious he's been playing banged up for at least a month), Healthy Burr etc.

Everybody's pointing to the twins slightly diminished numbers this season and saying that they're in decline forgetting that they've been playing with nobody for the most part, their secondary scoring support has been even less than the paltry support of the last few years and Hank (and I wouldn't be surprised if Daniel is too) has been banged up for a good while.

Them healthy again with ACTUAL scoring support and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them in the 90+ point territory again next year and a much better overall team.

Sedin, Sedin, Burr

UFA, Kesler, Kassian

Higgins, Santorelli, Horvat

Sestito, Richards, Hansen

Lain/Archibald/Weise etc as spares.

Adding to that I'll toss in the point that people assume what Vancouver would get back in return through a trade would be better than what they already have. This team has the right personnel in place to develop their young prospects properly.

I have no idea why you guys go ' :picard: ' when Bertuzzi is mentioned. I think he will be as good as Bert sans the 46 goal fluke season and sans the lunatic moore incident.

I think Lucic is too much of a reach though. Unless he shows us another gear soon.

Can't speak for anyone else but I :picard: 'd because seemingly half of CDC expected Bertuzzi-in-his-prime last year and quickly decided the kid was a bust.

I agree, he'll likely become a very good player for us in the next few years. If he's even close to Bertuzzi circa early 2000's...yippee!

Can't speak for anyone else but I :picard: 'd because seemingly half of CDC expected Bertuzzi-in-his-prime last year and quickly decided the kid was a bust.

I agree, he'll likely become a very good player for us in the next few years. If he's even close to Bertuzzi circa early 2000's...yippee!

Good post. I agree

+1

Pre WCE Bertuzzi? I can see that. 25 goals, 20 assists is what I could expect from Kassian as early as next season if he is moved into a permanent 2nd line role. He has taken a huge jump in development this season and has been a very efficient goal scorer. Whether or not he maintains anything close to that efficiency with increased minutes is yet to be seen.

I like this year how he has been fairly consistent with his points. Only one multi-point game, and has no more than a two game point streak yet. His totals don't look a whole lot better but he scored 5 goals in his first 8 games or something last season and had a really bad stretch of games.

Before the season when everyone was clammering for Kass to play with the twins, I said i'd just be happy if he could play a role on the 3rd line and actually contribute something. He has done that, he's worked hard and he has improved in almost every area. Credit where it's due, I still don't want to see him with the twins but he's an important part of this team now. He's even stepped up and played well on the 2nd line. Again credit where it's due, it's great to see.

4th liner last year(barely), 3rd liner this year, a legit contributer on the 2nd line next year is not at all unreasonable.

Valk put together a pretty nice highlight package of Kassian on Sportsnet last night, some beautiful passes. He saucered one to Kesler(?) at the right faceoff dot from the left wing boards over a couple sticks and right on the tape. That one almost sent Valk into Larscheid territory circe 1992, when he was losing his marbles over Pavel....maybe not but he was pretty amped.

Valk put together a pretty nice highlight package of Kassian on Sportsnet last night, some beautiful passes. He saucered one to Kesler(?) at the right faceoff dot from the left wing boards over a couple sticks and right on the tape. That one almost sent Valk into Larscheid territory circe 1992, when he was losing his marbles over Pavel....maybe not but he was pretty amped.

I noticed that too.. I've also noticed him make a number of long-range tape-to-tape passes showcasing his skill and vision all season long.. his assist total is surprising given that.

That being said, I love the fact Torts and co. are clearly trying to mold him from the ground-up - emphasizing his defensive and physical play and not allowing him to simply be a big-bodied floater who puts up a few goals and drops the gloves once in awhile.

I have no idea why you guys go ' :picard: ' when Bertuzzi is mentioned. I think he will be as good as Bert sans the 46 goal fluke season and sans the lunatic moore incident.

I think Lucic is too much of a reach though. Unless he shows us another gear soon.

Well, if he gets two great linemates like Lucic and scores 3 more goals they are tied. He scored the same number as Lucic last year. Then toss him in the weak East and voila.

Well, if he gets two great linemates like Lucic and scores 3 more goals they are tied. He scored the same number as Lucic last year. Then toss him in the weak East and voila.

Lucic also has nearly 100 more hits than Kassian. Zack needs to step it up in the physicality department.

Hopefully Kassian will develop more and more.. When he came to Vancouver he was touted to be similar to Lucic and Bertuzzi.

Kassain and Sestito are the best thing about the Canucks lately. Both have skill and size. The rest suck, except for their banished coach.

Kassain and Sestito are the best thing about the Canucks lately. Both have skill and size. The rest suck, except for their banished coach.

yeah, his team is really ripping it up.........JT is the most overrated part of this team. Now that he's in the west, with most of the great coaches, his belief that systems don't matter as much as hard work is being exploited big time.

Archived