The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks’ Sestito to Kings’ Nolan: “[You're] Gonna Fight Me”

TheRussianRocket.

http://thecanuckway.com/2014/01/14/canucks-sestito-kings-nolan-youre-fighting/

8119218.jpg

Vancouver Canucks left winger Tom Sestito didn’t ask Los Angeles Kings Jordan Nolan to fight, he told him he was going to.

“I gave him the chance [to accept a fight], ” Sestito told the TEAM 1040. ”I told him he was gonna fight me and he declined I guess.”

Nolan took a run at captain Henrik Sedin at the Canucks blueline and narrowly missed. The next faceoff, head coach John Tortorella sent Sestito out to line up opposite Nolan. That’s when Sestito just started throwing punches.

Sestito was assessed a two-minute minor and ten-minute misconduct for instigating a fight, a five-minute major for fighting, and a game misconduct for being an aggressor in a fight. He walked away with 27 penalty minutes in one second of playing time.

“Going into it I didn’t think I was gonna get what I got, but I think we got to,” Sestito stressed. “We were there to send a message.

“I think they kind of bullied us through the past couple of games and we didn’t want to take it anymore.

“I just don’t think that a fourth line guy like Nolan is going to run a guy and can’t answer the bell.”

Message sent and received.

Sestito laying down the law. Tons of respect for him ontop of the respect I already had before. Always liked his play when 'fans' crapped on him and now he's starting to show why he got that 2 year deal. Good on the boys for not taking crap and hope they play like this often now :towel:

Sestito has definetly grown on me. Best enforcer we've had in a while.

his skill is showing too...he is playing hard, skating, throwing hits and does his job to fight when he has to....that's all that's asked and now he's earning a place in most fan's hearts...

that's usually the sign the enforcer is developing into a hockey player...

his skill is showing too...he is playing hard, skating, throwing hits and does his job to fight when he has to....that's all that's asked and now he's earning a place in most fan's hearts...

that's usually the sign the enforcer is developing into a hockey player...

I never hated him, but I'm amazed at the level of improvement Sestito has shown this season. We've needed a guy like that for a while who's willing to stand up and defend teammates and not give him the option of declining. He also does a nice job of screening goalies and has enough skill to play a regular shift.

I'd like to see Torts try him out with the twins as a reward.

I never hated him, but I'm amazed at the level of improvement Sestito has shown this season. We've needed a guy like that for a while who's willing to stand up and defend teammates and not give him the option of declining. He also does a nice job of screening goalies and has enough skill to play a regular shift.

he was a 3rd rounder and got 42 goals in junior...people dont realize that..he has talent but given his size and toughness, teams pigeon holed him as the enforcer.

as a result, players lose a bit of their timing/hands because they just aren't in positions to be offensive and develop them at all...as we all know, players need ice, lots of it, and offensive zone time to develop their skill (ie why so many have been begging for kassian on the top 2).

One thing I noticed from some of his video in junior was he was much 'leaner'....and his skating actually looked great for a big man.

With torts suggesting earlier in the year his fitness wasn't there, i wonder what an offseason with Kassian's guy would do for him...running, leaning up etc...sure he needs to keep weight to play his toughness role but if you have a guy who's his size and 219 vs 228, faster and can actually get to the net and still fight...

well...jesus..there is alot more in this guy i think...

agree with you on the improvement, seems he saw the 4th line competition as a kick in the butt to work harder, whereas Weise took a kick in the butt and just ignored it...

Archived