The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mason Raymond update

Mackcanuck

I still don't understand why people care so much about the amount that Raymond falls. (or is taken down, as I think he might have been by Michalek in this case )

He's inexpensive. He puts up points. He plays a responsible defensive game and he doesn't complain when he's stuck on a line with a couple of AHL call-ups.

Scott Hartnell falls a lot. Who wouldn't want him on their team?

Scott Hartnell brings a whole other dimension to the game that Mason Raymond does not have.

Scott Hartnell brings a whole other dimension to the game that Mason Raymond does not have.

So? If there are "other dimensions" that Raymond's game lacks, feel free to criticize him for those.

So far, all I see are "he's only doing well bacause he's in the east" and the tired old "he falls down a lot", which are just weak attempts by his critics to justify their disdain for him as a player.

So? If there are "other dimensions" that Raymond's game lacks, feel free to criticize him for those.

So far, all I see are "he's only doing well bacause he's in the east" and the tired old "he falls down a lot", which are just weak attempts by his critics to justify their disdain for him as a player.

He was an expendable player. Deal with it. I'm still glad he's not here. He wasn't getting it done. A few others from our core need to leave, too.

Raymond was a very streaky player here, and he disappeared in the playoffs. He doesn't deserve to be taking a spot on our roster anymore.

Whether you want to admit it or not, being in the east IS helping him. He would not be doing this well in the pacific division.

He was an expendable player. Deal with it. I'm still glad he's not here. He wasn't getting it done. A few others from our core need to leave, too.

Raymond was a very streaky player here, and he disappeared in the playoffs. He doesn't deserve to be taking a spot on our roster anymore.

Whether you want to admit it or not, being in the east IS helping him. He would not be doing this well in the pacific division.

I have dealt with it. I have no problem with the team moving in another direction where he's concerned.

What I have a problem with is these childish posters that I've been seeing for years now, thinking they're funny by posting gifs of Raymond falling on the ice and generally poking fun at him.

It's like watching a bunch of pre-schoolers laughing at the kid with glasses and calling him "four eyes".....

^ Well to be honest, I have been involved in drinking games that involved Raymond falling down, even though they were at my dad's place, and I didn't get drunk, but the game did have a point to it; Raymond did fall a lot!

To each his own I suppose.

Personally, I wouldn't consider it funny to be ridiculing anyone on the team that I cheer for, especially one who suffered a broken back doing his utmost to bring home the championship that I have been wating for since day 1...

I love the guys knocking Raymond, who with his goals would be the third highest on the Canucks and would be the fourth highest in points. And while you idiots were laughing at Raymond for his current doldrums ( he has three goals over the past 17 games) - Daniel, Henrik and Burrows have zero BETWEEN them during that same period - and we pay those guys over 18 mil this season - Raymond gets about a mil. I could go on, but you Raymond haters look dumb enough already.

I love the guys knocking Raymond, who with his goals would be the third highest on the Canucks and would be the fourth highest in points. And while you idiots were laughing at Raymond for his current doldrums ( he has three goals over the past 17 games) - Daniel, Henrik and Burrows have zero BETWEEN them during that same period - and we pay those guys over 18 mil this season - Raymond gets about a mil. I could go on, but you Raymond haters look dumb enough already.

A 3 goal over 17 game pace is still a 14/15 goal season - anyone who complains that a 1 million player is 'only' scoring 14 or 15 goals has a pretty high derp factor. And, ironically, he already has 14 goals - so he's actually on a 20 goal pace.

He's still 16th on the NHL bargain hunter (cap hit per point per minutes of ice time)... jokes on the jokers.

One of the best comebacks in the NHL.

Good season this year by MayRay. Why all the vitriol?

My guess is that these are a lot of the same people who vilified Raymond when he was a Canuck, calling him things like "a useless plug", etc.

Now they see how well he's doing in T.O., so they feel the need to mitigate that success by making lame statements like "It's only because he's in the East", or posting a gif of every time he falls.

I suppose they believe that it serves to make their previous criticisms look less unfounded...

My guess is that these are a lot of the same people who vilified Raymond when he was a Canuck, calling him things like "a useless plug", etc.

Now they see how well he's doing in T.O., so they feel the need to mitigate that success by making lame statements like "It's only because he's in the East", or posting a gif of every time he falls.

I suppose they believe that it serves to make their previous criticisms look less unfounded...

At least that would provide some consistency.

There's an upward trending affliction on this board where former players are denigrated only because they're former.

At least that would provide some consistency.

There's an upward trending affliction on this board where former players are denigrated only because they're former.

It seems to be a black and white situation where CDC is concerned.

Former players (and coaches/GMs for that matter) seem to fall into one of two categories:

1 - The "Never like him/Glad he's gone" column.... and...2 - The "Gillis never should have let that guy go" column.

Outside of a few level headed posters here, there never seems to be any middle ground, as there should with guys like Raymond, Hodgson and Rome.

Good season this year by MayRay. Why all the vitriol?

I want to know why people act like Raymond is suddenly a superstar to some people here. There is a reason we didn't re-sign him and every other team ignored him.

I'm not upset he is doing well. But he was expendable, and I'm glad we aren't wasting another roster spot. Just watch. He will get a new contract and then he will regress back to his old ways.

A 3 goal over 17 game pace is still a 14/15 goal season - anyone who complains that a 1 million player is 'only' scoring 14 or 15 goals has a pretty high derp factor. And, ironically, he already has 14 goals - so he's actually on a 20 goal pace.

He's still 16th on the NHL bargain hunter (cap hit per point per minutes of ice time)... jokes on the jokers.

One of the best comebacks in the NHL.

MayRay opens the scoring with his 15th goal tonight.

He and Clarkson should just swap contracts and be done with it.

Are you high? I am all for supporting players who used to play for the Canucks, as well as those who did not but are are having tremendous bounce back seasons or performances. Also, I am not a Raymond hater in the least, but his time here was done. He is not tough enough to play in this conference. It does not matter that we did not replace him with anyone that has as many points as he has racked up playing for the Leafs; what matters is that people realize that the likelihood of him putting up a 20 goal season here was a coin toss at best. Raymond is built for the East whether you admit it or not.

The reason e is getting 1 mil per season is because no-one wanted him. He is making a short term case for a raise, yet you want to swap contracts with Clarkson.

Finest "derp" I have ever seen.

edit for Canuck or Die:

I want to know why people act like Raymond is suddenly a superstar to some people here. There is a reason we didn't re-sign him and every other team ignored him.

I'm not upset he is doing well. But he was expendable, and I'm glad we aren't wasting another roster spot. Just watch. He will get a new contract and then he will regress back to his old ways.

Right? Good luck to him, but he had no future in Vancouver.

Archived