The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mason Raymond update

Mackcanuck

Nice to see Mason attempt the Denis Savard spinarama. He never tried that in Van City. The fear of making mistakes in Van City took away a lot of his creativity.

The fear of making a mistake destroyed his development in Vancouver.

Mason may develop into the player AV would not allow him to become.

I don't know where you get that silly idea form, but Raymond had his best season under AV. It was injuries that held him back in Vancouver and it was a organizational decision to get more physical that resulted in him not being offered a new contract.

Raymond just didn't suit the Western Conference. He's well suited for the Eastern Conference.

Comparison:

Santorelli: Games 49, Goals 10, Assists 18, Points 28, +/- +9 (Best of any Canuck forward) PPG: 0.5714

Raymond: Games 69, Goals 19, Assists 21, Points 40, +/- 0 PPG 0.5797

I think both pickups have worked out for both teams.

Raymond just didn't suit the Western Conference. He's well suited for the Eastern Conference.

Comparison:

Santorelli: Games 49, Goals 10, Assists 18, Points 28, +/- +9 (Best of any Canuck forward) PPG: 0.5714

Raymond: Games 69, Goals 19, Assists 21, Points 40, +/- 0 PPG 0.5797

I think both pickups have worked out for both teams.

the big difference Raymond will be looking for a big pay day and Santorelli can probably be had for cheaper

the big difference Raymond will be looking for a big pay day and Santorelli can probably be had for cheaper

You may be right there, but at the same time I don't think he can afford to be greedy because the Leafs don't have a lot of cap space and if he demands too much, he may find himself in the exact same position he was in last fall (without a team to play on), and I'm sure he will want to avoid that.

So my guess is, he'll ask for a small increase in pay for a 2 year contract, then hope for more money 2 years down the road (if things go well).

You may be right there, but at the same time I don't think he can afford to be greedy because the Leafs don't have a lot of cap space and if he demands too much, he may find himself in the exact same position he was in last fall (without a team to play on), and I'm sure he will want to avoid that.

So my guess is, he'll ask for a small increase in pay for a 2 year contract, then hope for more money 2 years down the road (if things go well).

He isn't going to be a leaf next season. There's a difference between last offseason and this offseason. Teams didn't have cap space and those that did didn't want to take a chance on a player who was having injury problems.

He'll probably get 3+ million this offseason and leafs can't afford that.

He isn't going to be a leaf next season. There's a difference between last offseason and this offseason. Teams didn't have cap space and those that did didn't want to take a chance on a player who was having injury problems.

I think Raymond will be with the Leafs next year. I think the Leafs will choose him over a few existing players currently on the team (Kulemin for one), some that had trade rumors associated with them. In fact, I'd personally prefer him over Lupul (Raymond would be much cheaper and more productive (and by productive, I don't just mean points, he's a much better defensive player and great on the PK), Lupul (-10) has had a worse injury history which seems to be taking its toll now, among many other reasons).

So who was the user that quoted someone's prediction that Raymond would have more points than anyone not named Sedin? It's about to come true so props whoever made that prediction and forshame to whoever put that in thier sig because we all know why people do that on these forms. Bet they removed it haha.

So who was the user that quoted someone's prediction that Raymond would have more points than anyone not named Sedin? It's about to come true so props whoever made that prediction and forshame to whoever put that in thier sig because we all know why people do that on these forms. Bet they removed it haha.

Thanks, that was me who made the prediction. Elvis put it in his sig, but you guessed right, he's recently removed it.

Thanks, that was me who made the prediction. Elvis put it in his sig, but you guessed right, he's recently removed it.

One instance where I am glad you were correct - not in the sense that the Canucks have had such a rough season (that part was trollesque) - but that Raymond is doing as well as those of us who like him hoped, even expected him to.

Archived