The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Lebrun] Canucks covet O'Reilly and will deal defense to aquire him

Southpop45

And people, stop proposing we get Kane out of Winnipeg.... for lord sakes.

There's a reason why the Jets organization wants him gone: his attitude.

You don't simply put a guy who's lightning quick, big, and is a sniper on the trading block for no reason. They want him gone because he's a cancer. Why is this so hard for people to see?

Can we stop with the attitude crap? It's so overblown by the media it's not even funny. The kid WANTS to play for the Canucks for crying out loud. If you have an opportunity to bring in a 23 year old budding power forward/sniper at the right price you take it.

Can we stop with the attitude crap? It's so overblown by the media it's not even funny. The kid WANTS to play for the Canucks for crying out loud. If you have an opportunity to bring in a 23 year old budding power forward/sniper at the right price you take it.

He does? Proof?

I don't care if he is making 6.5 million, acquiring top 6 forwards in today's NHL is extremely hard, and Gillis has been trying to get one for more than a year now, and we DESPERATELY NEED ONE.

I think the good thing about this being the avalanche is that they are clearly a team on the up rise, so I don't really see how a player wouldn't waive his NTC to go there.

Edler has to be the defencemen we trade. Edler is still young, and making 5 million so the avs will also be saving money. Honestly, this seems like the perfect fit for both teams.

Canucks fans, please don't complain about the 6.5 million he makes, and instead, embrace this great chance we have at landing O'reilly IF the avs decide to trade him.

get it done gillis.

You guys are undervaluing O'Reilly. Have been a big fan of him and have followed him more than I do others. Yea price tag might be a bit too much come seasons end to keep him but that's the norm now for players in a cap increasing NHL.

And think about it, if he would resign here in the $5.5-$6 mill range, that would be more than pleasing. A young, rising, Selke form, offensive 2nd line centre+ potential forward at that price is pretty much a steal or something you shouldn't be worried about. Elder for O'Reilly would be something I'd take but only if Ryan ensures he will sign here at seasons end otherwise, a top 10 offensive dman for a rental would be horrendous. Either that or Tanev+ for O'Reilly. I'd prefer Edler to go so that contract is off our backs and he needs a shakeup. Tanev is amazing and for some reason has less trade value than Edler so I'm happy with that lol.

You guys a undervaluing O'Reilly. Have been a big fan of him and have followed him more than I do others. Yea price tag might be a bit too much come seasons end to keep him but that's the norm now for players in a cap increasing NHL.

And think about it, if he would resign here in the $5.5-$6 mill range, that would be more than pleasing. A young, rising, Selke form, offensive 2nd line centre+ potential centre at that price is pretty much a steal or something you shouldn't be worried about. Elder for O'Reilly would be something I'd take but only if Ryan ensures he will sign here at seasons end otherwise, a top 10 offensive dman for a rental would be horrendous.

He isn't a rental since he's a RFA.

I'm not sure i buy it. O'Reilly would be dope and we could part with a dman, but he isn't the kind of player gillis usually chases. Gillis goes for the guy who's gonna sign a long term, moderately priced deal to be a part of a tight core. This guy just signed a huge offer sheet to one of the worst teams in the league lol not exactly the kinda player gillis wants to be sitting across the table from talkin qualifying offers.

And people, stop proposing we get Kane out of Winnipeg.... for lord sakes.

There's a reason why the Jets organization wants him gone: his attitude.

You don't simply put a guy who's lightning quick, big, and is a sniper on the trading block for no reason. They want him gone because he's a cancer. Why is this so hard for people to see?

One team's trash is another team's treasure. Attitude can be fixed anyways. It's not like there isn't room for maturity with a 23 year old guy.

Hard to see the AV not wanting to keep this guy regardless of the pay - he is a top 6 C and they are expensive. The only way they would trade him is if they in fact have no cash to spend and they got some cheaper high end assets coming back. A top 4 and top end prospect - Horvat.

Why? So he can go to the Roxy with his buddies after one of those embarrassing losses? That, is a recipe for disaster.

Gillis and Torts want guys with character. Kane is nowhere close to fitting that bill.

Yes, it would look extremely sexy having a guy with that caliber playing in the top-6/with the Sedins, yes, I get that, and I know that's why those in favour of bringing Kane over want him so bad, but Kane is one of those guys where when he gets frustrated he just melts like one of those toddlers who was only allowed to get one chocolate bar at the grocery store rather than two. He just gives up.

Chevy said he is "shopping" Kane. There is a reason for that. Kane is one of the most rare types of players in this game. A fast powerforward with amazing scoring talent. There's a reason why he playing 2nd line duties on a "struggling" Jets team. While Ladd and Wheeler are working their asses off, and they are honest, hard working hockey players, Kane doesn't give a rat's ass.

You can make the argument that Kane WANTS to come to play in Vancouver although there was been nil proof of him saying that, but with the way some games have gone down the crapper for us lately and in recent playoffs, and take into account how Torts deals with those showing no interest, things could take a turn for the worse, thus mortgaging our future/dismantling our D core sounds like a horrendous idea at his point.

Overpaying for Kane is something I'd expect Sather to do, not Gillis.

I'm not sure i buy it. O'Reilly would be dope and we could part with a dman, but he isn't the kind of player gillis usually chases. Gillis goes for the guy who's gonna sign a long term, moderately priced deal to be a part of a tight core. This guy just signed a huge offer sheet to one of the worst teams in the league lol not exactly the kinda player gillis wants to be sitting across the table from talkin qualifying offers.

I totally disagree. Gillis has been looking for a top 6 forward for a few years now, and it's so rare that a player like O'reilly, who is just 22, is potentially available for a defencemen that the avs want that WE THE CANUCKS might just have.

When it comes to personality...i don't think gillis gives a damn. Plus he plays an excellent two way game...so he's like another ryan kesler except less grit.

You guys are undervaluing O'Reilly. Have been a big fan of him and have followed him more than I do others. Yea price tag might be a bit too much come seasons end to keep him but that's the norm now for players in a cap increasing NHL.

And think about it, if he would resign here in the $5.5-$6 mill range, that would be more than pleasing. A young, rising, Selke form, offensive 2nd line centre+ potential forward at that price is pretty much a steal or something you shouldn't be worried about. Elder for O'Reilly would be something I'd take but only if Ryan ensures he will sign here at seasons end otherwise, a top 10 offensive dman for a rental would be horrendous. Either that or Tanev+ for O'Reilly. I'd prefer Edler to go so that contract is off our backs and he needs a shakeup. Tanev is amazing and for some reason has less trade value than Edler so I'm happy with that lol.

sad, but true. hahaha

Hard to see the AV not wanting to keep this guy regardless of the pay - he is a top 6 C and they are expensive. The only way they would trade him is if they in fact have no cash to spend and they got some cheaper high end assets coming back. A top 4 and top end prospect - Horvat.

they already have duchene and mackinnon is their future centers, maybe they move one of them to the wing but I heard that the Avs already tried to move Mackinnon to the wing but he struggled because it isn't his natural position.

That fact alone makes trading O'reilly more realistic, and Horvat is a center... BUT, i could be wrong.

they already have duchene and mackinnon is their future centers, maybe they move one of them to the wing but I heard that the Avs already tried to move Mackinnon to the wing but he struggled because it isn't his natural position.

That fact alone makes trading O'reilly more realistic, and Horvat is a center... BUT, i could be wrong.

Horvat aint going anywhere nomatter how good O'Reilly is they have a glaring hole on their leftside d and they gotta take it or leave it tbh maybe a mid pick from us but not our best prospects

Archived