The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Lebrun] Canucks covet O'Reilly and will deal defense to aquire him

Southpop45

Only issue I have with oreilly is that hole contract fiasco last year and would it happen again if he wanted 6m+....especially with the cap raising he might think pound for pound he could get 7m

I've pondered edler for oreilly straight up and I'd have to see my options before pulling the trigger to help this team

Sedin-Sedin-kassian

Burrows-kesler-Hansen

Higgins-oreilly-santorelli

Sestito-Richardson-weise

Having oreilly (who does Play LW for col right now) gives us so many options....personally, I'd like to start with having a 3 prong scoring attack, kinda like sj top 3 centers

He isn't a rental since he's a RFA.

What I meant was rental based on of people think he'll ask for too much and we won't pay which can lead to an offer sheet or trading his rights but I'm certain if he were traded here, there'd be a pre-plan to ensure contract negotiation won't be a problem.

I'm completely baffled by some of the posts on here. MG continuously goes back on his word and makes moves out of nowhere so don't take what he said too seriously concerning NTC's. O'Reilly is a perfect match for this team and Edler for O'Reilly makes so much sense it's uncanny.

O'Reilly isn't a prototypical "rental", he's an RFA, which gives us security to a certain extent. He's a good ole Canadian kid who plays a 2-way game and produces at a 2nd line rate. He's exactly what this team needs. Edler is in need of a fresh start, he'd get to play with Johnson on the top pairing. We've all seen what Edler can do if he's not completely relied upon for offense. Johnson and Edler would be one hell of a top pairing because they would both take pressure off each other.

You have to pay to get. This is the kind of trade the Canucks should be making, a hockey trade. Young, promising, somewhat proven top 6 forward for proven top 4, possibly top 2 defenseman who's just entering his prime. I'd do it and if you wouldn't then I'm thankful you're not GM.

PLease pay close attention.

O'Reilly works well as a center or a winger.

His Qualifying is $6.5 million only in the event he signs very short term deal. we could easily give him 4 years at $5 million or even 6 years at $5.5 million

If in the event we cannot work out a deal and are forced to take him via arbitration remember this one amazing fact. We can deal him or his rights to any team we want. Picture shuffling him to say the NJD, the Isles, the Panthers or....the Flames for a 1st overall pick in 2015.

If we can sign him for less than $6 million until age 30 he's a bargain. If we can trade him for prospects like Strome or Mantha or Domi or the like awesome.

If we can trade him or his rights for a 5 to 1 shot at McDavid....it's a steal.

Either way Edler or Tanev would be the player going the other way, we would hold on to all of our vaunted prospects and we would help this team where it matters the most, up front.

Inserting a bona fide C/W into the top 6 has an immediate trickle down effect when Burrows is in the line up giving us 3 solid scoring lines in the top 9 and 3 solid checking lines in the bottom 9.

We have depth at D, it is worth looking at. We have 4 solid young D prospects who have the same skill set as Tanev with either more physical or offensive upside. Shedding Edler means we still have a massive amount of cap space even if we retain O'Reilly to sign a solid UFA or two.

If it makes sense do it. Because either way this core is stagnant and there is little to no energy or magic most nights in our top 6 and it shows.

Something has to give. I do not want to be Calgary 2.0 where we keep renting or signing aging players and refuse to accept it is time to change the whole system

I don't see Edler waiving off to Colorado (or Winnipeg)

Edler has roots in the Peg and played solidly for the Moose there. Hansen as well, same with Burrows, Kesler, Bieksa etc. No reason it wouldn't happen but I agree I see Edler waving for a place like New York or the Isles or Detroit first.

His Qualifying is $6.5 million only in the event he signs very short term deal. we could easily give him 4 years at $5 million or even 6 years at $5.5 million

If in the event we cannot work out a deal and are forced to take him via arbitration remember this one amazing fact. We can deal him or his rights to any team we want. Picture shuffling him to say the NJD, the Isles, the Panthers or....the Flames for a 1st overall pick in 2015.

If we can sign him for less than $6 million until age 30 he's a bargain. If we can trade him for prospects like Strome or Mantha or Domi or the like awesome.

If we can trade him or his rights for a 5 to 1 shot at McDavid....it's a steal.

Either way Edler or Tanev would be the player going the other way, we would hold on to all of our vaunted prospects and we would help this team where it matters the most, up front.

Inserting a bona fide C/W into the top 6 has an immediate trickle down effect when Burrows is in the line up giving us 3 solid scoring lines in the top 9 and 3 solid checking lines in the bottom 9.

We have depth at D, it is worth looking at. We have 4 solid young D prospects who have the same skill set as Tanev with either more physical or offensive upside. Shedding Edler means we still have a massive amount of cap space even if we retain O'Reilly to sign a solid UFA or two.

If it makes sense do it. Because either way this core is stagnant and there is little to no energy or magic most nights in our top 6 and it shows.

Something has to give. I do not want to be Calgary 2.0 where we keep renting or signing aging players and refuse to accept it is time to change the whole system

well put warhippy

I know people like Pears are proposing Edler for O'Reilly, but I just don't see an RFA for a NTC deal happening..

Tanev for O'Reilly seems much more realistic.

edit: OBVIOUSLY ++ on our side in tanev deal

Better be some amazing pluses coming with Tanev. Have far more interest in Edler (with additional pieces) since he at least could be a long term partner for EJ. Tanev plays the wrong side and I just don't see top 2 upside in him. I doubt O'Reilly is traded. He's Roy's favourite player and has fit perfectly on Duchene's wing. In fact I doubt any major piece is moved unless the return clearly makes the team better. Don't want another free fall situation like after the EJ trade.

If he's willing to sign a contract like either of those then he won't be going anywhere. The Avs won't trade him if he's willing to take any deal south of 6 unless it's clear overpayment and makes the team markedly better.

Two trades and some ELC's next year would put us in ABSOLUTELY AMAZING POSITION

To COL- Edler + low pick/ mid-prospect

To VAN- O'Reilly

**Note** Colorado frees up cap space in this deal

To NYR- Hansen, 2nd rd pick 2015

To VAN- Del Zotto

resign key players AND GIVE ROOKIES A CHANCE

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Shinkaruk-Kesler-O'Reilly

Higgins-Horvat-Santorelli

Weise-Richardson-Kassian

Ham-Bieksa

Delzotto-Garrison

Stanton-Tanev

I don't know why so many people on here have such a hard on for Del Zotto...he is not a great dman dude nor great enough offensively to ignore that....

its just like kane, everyone over rates him and wants to sell all of our young talent for him...

i agree with the oriellly deal, works for both sides but we don't need to overpay for a del zotto next year as a ufa

Shink won't be ready next year for the NHL either...needs a year in the AHL or two

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Burrows-Kesler-O'Reilly

Higgins-Horvat-Santorelli

Weise-Richardson-Tostito

But also would have a decent amount of cap room to pick up another 3rd/4th liner

I just think that team is so much the same of what we have (O'reilly would help as would Horvat if he can make the jump), that the issues we have will still be here.

Personally, I think its time to move Kesler to acquire a real offensive, young center who can eventually replace Henrik but that is also solid now and can contribute more.

Ie Kesler for Niklas Backstrom, but not sure Washington would do that, perhaps the best odds of that were last year when Washington was struggling...

Then you would have

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Burrows Backstrom O'Reilly

Higgins Horvat Santo

Weise Richardson Tostito

I think that group has more potential offensively and is just as big, and gives us a very nice future (although cap room might not work haven't checked but given the mix of lower cap hits my guess is it should)

Would people be ok if Stastny came across instead for Tanev, Stanton or Corrado?

I for one would not. No guarantee of a re-signing no deal. RFA O'Reilly is so much more appealing at his age and guaranteed RFA status

O'Reilly or bust. He makes perfect sense for us right now and like you said, we have tons of options with him as an RFA

I dunno his cap hit is pretty big and will take $6.5mil to qualify him this summer. Is he really worth that?

If you buy out Booth, just extra 2.3 million, yes that much better, expecially if you give him an extension for less than 6.5 longterm.

It's Tanev they are going to move if they get O'Reilly. Mark my words.

Tanev is my favourite d-man on this team and as much as it would suck to see him go, O'Reilly is one of the most underrated players in this league and I would not complain if he was brought over for a package that includes Tanev.

Gillis already said that he's not interested in asking players with NTC's to waive them, so you can scratch Edler out of the equation.

We have Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison and Stanton here already, with Corrado probably a year away from being a full time NHLer, Hutton playing exceptionally well at the NCAA level, and along with Cederholm, Subban, etc. D depth is the least of our problems right now, and these last two games have shown us that scoring has turned into a glaring issue.

O'Reilly gets **** done at both ends of the ice. Torts would love him and so would everybody else if we could land him somehow.

I hate to say it but I think you are right. Tanev, picks and prospects will be the deal

Would people be ok if Stastny came across instead for Tanev, Stanton or Corrado?

I for one would not. No guarantee of a re-signing no deal. RFA O'Reilly is so much more appealing at his age and guaranteed RFA status

I agree. Something's gotta give here. I'm starting to think even if he is overpaid, he might be the best option in the long run. Say we pass on this deal(if there even is a deal), what's the deal we actually end up making going to look like? You know it will happen eventually cus I doubt horvats gonna step in and put up 70 points next year. The deal we end up making probably isn't for a 22yr old player with as much potential as O'Reilly. Your gonna settle for a Steven Weiss type player with a few miles on him cus you waited too long AGAIN!!

Edler for O'Reilly and don't look back.

Archived