The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Collective feeling on Tort's 'antics'?

Steve Carell

Lots of people got worked up over his "antics" and all but at the end of the day hockey is just entertainment and let me ask you something, are you not entertained?

Hockey isnt just entertaimnent to me.Its a great game.Ive played it my whole life.I have friendships as a result that span decades.The nhl is being tarnished, the game at the nhl level is losing its soul as its being managed and hnic is a sellout puppet show

I couldn't be more proud of our guys and our coach. Loved it.

Here's my take:

Vancouver has been labelled as a soft team for years. Every club in the NHL was gladly bullying this team and these guys, and the media, the league and nobody else from the outside had a problem with it. The expectation was that Vancouver will always back down from the confrontation, and the Canucks didn't disappoint. They turned the other cheek to the point where lots of fans questioned their honor as men. The Canucks naively trusted the league to serve justice, but the NHL never came through. Now, when the Canucks push back, when they don't back down and the players fight back nobody from the outside likes it. Now the league wants to step in and do what's right to "protect the integrity of the game." To everyone saying the Canucks should've turned the other cheek yet again and started someone other than the fourth line, I ask why? Why are we always the ones expected to have the cooler heads? Why are we the ones who always have to be rational? Let me remind you that Westgarth went after Bieksa right off the faceoff. Bieksa didn't even drop his gloves. I wonder if Westgarth had started throwing punches and Bieksa didn't reciprocate, would we have gotten a 7 minute powerplay?

If you take a look at the HF boards or NHL.com's comment section, you'd see all the assumptions made about Vancouver. Now all of a sudden this club is no longer a soft club, now the Canucks are goons.

This team will always, ALWAYS get the short end of the stick from the league. We will always have to kill penalties for things EVERY other team gets away with, and we will ALWAYS have to kill penalties for sticking up for one another. I'm finally starting to make my peace with it, slowly.

Yes he shouldn't have gone into the Flames hallway but if another coach had done I'm willing to bet that he'd probably get away with a fine. Hell if Torts had done that as a Rangers coach he'd probably merely get smacked with a fine. Let's see what the verdict will be as a Canucks coach.

I'd like to thank Torts for teaching this club not to take sh*t from anyone, and I'd like to apologize to him for most likely having to be at the brunt of all of this by the league and the media because he went into the other team's hallway.

- Canucks fan

Friedman's tweeting that torts probably has an in person meeting in NY on Monday.

What a joke.

I will say it's kind of silly that Torts is going to get a 5-figure fine and Hartley whose amateur hour starting lineup caused the ruckus won't, but oh well.

no one on calagry was going to do somthing stupid like skate after the canucks and start swinging at them if they didnt want to fight....the whole protect his players thing is garbage.... look at what happend with bieksa and westgarth , westgarth didnt throw 1 punch because bieksa didnt drop his mitts... if we started a line of kesler higgins hansen... chances are they skate around those goons and score a goal to open the game and no one get kicked out.... its not like it was bad blood between the 2 team or anything... there is no way in todays game an entire line is going to mug the other team off the draw if they dont want to fight.... thats why i think torts is out to lunch if he thinks he was protecting his guys..... hes just as much at fault if not more for what happend to start the game because he had the chance to kill it by putting skilled players out or let it happen by matching up which he did and then to say his hands were tied in the matter is garbage...

Much rather a coach who shows emotion and plays over the 'edge' then some one who just sits there and chews gum and does nothing. Yeah Torts prob shouldn't have carried his 'anticts' off the ice and into the flames dressing room but you know what.. good for him for actually giving a darn about his players. TORTS I totally love you and the way you seem to genuinely care about this team and how you are teaching the boys what its like to play with heart. Personally I am sick of the way the canucks and us fans (by extension) are seen like pushovers and whiners. Time to show the world that we are tough and if it takes doing crap like this then fine, by all means, I applaud Torts and the canucks.

Much rather be bullies then pansies any day so Goon it up Vancouver.

Sure, Tortorella really accomplished a lot with his tantrum, didn't he? Now the league will respect us, and the other teams, too. All the frustrated fans are so happy to watch a frustrated coach, because that's how they'd like to react in that situation. I guess it's just too bad that it's not how the real world actually works.

AV was a great coach that brought a ton of professionalism to this organization, along with the best years in this franchise's history. Vigneault commanded respect from anyone that knew hockey which, apparently, does not include a highly vocal portion of the Vancouver fanbase.

But guess what, careful what you wish for has never been more true. We're facing one of the worst seasons in recent Canucks history, and our reputation has never been worse. So yeah, gosh darn that last coach we had. :rolleyes:

Yah he wasn't bad, but our team was regressing with only one win in two playoff showings, and we were the laughing stock of the league known as the 'cry baby divers'. Teams loved to beat on us because we thought so highly of ourselves in our 'non-combative' style. We got too smug under AV. Torts, while whipping the players into working hard,also has to stand by his team and defend it or risk losing the ears of his team.

Ten games back we were doing the best the team had done since 2011. It's a slump, they happen from time to time. Give your head a shake pal.

If it's "just a slump" then why do we have our head coach charging into the other team's locker room? Would "it's just a slump" actually lend credence to my view that we should probably act like a professional team and play through it? That's not what I'm seeing on the ice though, and it's not what we saw from the coach tonight. I've seen this team through some slumps, and they're not all equal. Sometimes, a team plays well but doesn't get any breaks. This is the opposite. The team is not playing well and I haven't seen them make so many mental errors, for such a consistent period of time, in years. Turnovers, breakaways, and total collapses (allowing other teams to score with under a minute left, multiple times, and allowing several goals against in under a minute, multiple times). They need to act professionally and CALM DOWN. I think that would help enormously with their mental mistakes they're making, and that's something AV understood.

Yeah, because the league had so much respect for us in the past, right? :rolleyes:

Tell me, genius, how many cups have we won by trying to play nice? Yeah, that's what I f***ing thought.

So much anger and frustration, it's not healthy man. The league has not had a lot of respect for the Canucks in the past few years, I full agree and have already said as much. But stuff like this will only make it worse, not better. Let's be real here, what do you expect to happen that will somehow be in the Canucks favour after our head coach blows a gasket? But with all your anger I doubt you really thought the consequences through, you're just being reactionary, like a lot of other fans that seem to prefer adopting a victim mentality, rather than one of perseverance. Maybe we should be looking at the things the team needs to changer, rather than continuing to blame others for our lack of success. Also, put it into context and look at how the cap drop has effected us - this season, like last, is a bit of an oddity.

I think we coulda sent out a skilled line.

Magratten and sestito would happen anyway later. Magratten wouldn't jump a non fighter. And Lain shouldnt have had to fight Westy. He should have got the chance to play his first game.

Its time to move on from LA and score some fn goals.

Archived