The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Collective feeling on Tort's 'antics'?

Steve Carell

I agree with his decision to put the 4th line out to start the game.

But going after the Flames in the hallway outside their locker room is pushing the limit for sure. That's a line you don't cross. Settle scores on the ice. Don't let it become a personal, physical, and verbal battle. It's tough because he has so much passion. But it's something I have learned throughout the course of my career as a hockey player. Being passionate about something it's not excuse you from taking actions that endanger other people. And being passionate about something certainly does not mean that you can be emotional about a situation and cross the line

Boy this really isn't going to help our image across the league. Talk about being the most hated team eh!

I would tend to disagree, I think people would respect someone willing throw down and confront someone more then they would someone who is a pushover.

Torts had to put out the line he did to start the game. He's sending a clear message to his boys that they can't be pushed around. So when sh*t hit the fan he stood and fought like a man. This will go a long way with his team. This whole beginning reaked of Brian Burke's grudge against Vancouver.

I bet torts went and apologized to his whole first line from tonight. I bet there's not one guy in that room that doesn't respect Torts now & I bet they play their asses off for him for the rest of the year.

Sure, Tortorella really accomplished a lot with his tantrum, didn't he? Now the league will respect us, and the other teams, too. All the frustrated fans are so happy to watch a frustrated coach, because that's how they'd like to react in that situation. I guess it's just too bad that it's not how the real world actually works.

AV was a great coach that brought a ton of professionalism to this organization, along with the best years in this franchise's history. Vigneault commanded respect from anyone that knew hockey which, apparently, does not include a highly vocal portion of the Vancouver fanbase.

But guess what, careful what you wish for has never been more true. We're facing one of the worst seasons in recent Canucks history, and our reputation has never been worse. So yeah, gosh darn that last coach we had. :rolleyes:

Sorry but I've got to disagree with you. Look at the cup run, the media across Canada couldn't wait to start the hate bandwagon. The good thing about Torts is that he gladly accepts that they are never going to like the team. Embrace the hate. I agree the fighting needs to be limited but that ends during the playoffs anyways. He is building up team toughness, which will pay dividends in the playoffs (this year or next).

What a coward. No, a weasel. Didn't know what was going on my ass (in his presser). Manipulative much? Got his army out in front of him.

Note this is the Calgary dressing room and not Vancouver's. If Torts got lost along the way he should be fired. i don't understand why we constantly justify poor behavior by our teams. Let's cheer for them while they're great, but let's not make sorry excuses for them when they screw up.

Sure, Tortorella really accomplished a lot with his tantrum, didn't he? Now the league will respect us, and the other teams, too. All the frustrated fans are so happy to watch a frustrated coach, because that's how they'd like to react in that situation. I guess it's just too bad that it's not how the real world actually works.

AV was a great coach that brought a ton of professionalism to this organization, along with the best years in this franchise's history. Vigneault commanded respect from anyone that knew hockey which, apparently, does not include a highly vocal portion of the Vancouver fanbase.

But guess what, careful what you wish for has never been more true. We're facing one of the worst seasons in recent Canucks history, and our reputation has never been worse. So yeah, gosh darn that last coach we had. :rolleyes:

When did the Canucks have a good reputation? Let me ask you this, when we were successful and an elite team in 2011, did the league and other team's fans respected us? When Brian Burke was our GM and Bertuzzi was one of our top players, did the league and other fans and media respected us? So GTFO with this reputation BS because we aren't one of the NHL marquee teams and Canucks were never respected since their inception into the league. This is actually the season where our team has more fire in their bellies and fighting back yet you seem to think that is a bad thing. Maybe they should sit down and take a beating then you will see the fans and the league and media call our team soft. Its a lose-lose situation but I'd rather it be us fighting back for the whole team and organization rather than doing nothing.

Torts had to put out the line he did to start the game. He's sending a clear message to his boys that they can't be pushed around. So when sh*t hit the fan he stood and fought like a man. This will go a long way with his team. This whole beginning reaked of Brian Burke's grudge against Vancouver.

I bet torts went and apologized to his whole first line from tonight. I bet there's not one guy in that room that doesn't respect Torts now & I bet they play their asses off for him for the rest of the year.

IF all the players on our team fight back and develop a pack mentality, maybe we could win a cup eventually.

I understand why Torts was pissed, and I liked his fire while on the bench while/after it happened. That being said, there really wasn't any reason for him to go to their locker room, nothing good will/can come of that. i'm sure the locker room situation is going to get blown out of proportion even though it really wasn't a big deal. As a side note, it was retarded that they gave out all those game misconducts

Another point I'd like to make is Gillis/Torts whoever makes team decisions better give Kellen Lain more games. For him to step up in his first game like that to defend this teams honour is really impressive. And the fact that westgarth has floated around the A for years with many 20+ fight seasons against the real tough guys....I'm sorry to say but that makes me <3 Lain.

If Gillis is serious about tradeing Weise, bring in John Scott. Have him and Sestito in the lineup when we play these clowns next time.

So much anger and frustration, it's not healthy man. The league has not had a lot of respect for the Canucks in the past few years, I full agree and have already said as much. But stuff like this will only make it worse, not better. Let's be real here, what do you expect to happen that will somehow be in the Canucks favour after our head coach blows a gasket? But with all your anger I doubt you really thought the consequences through, you're just being reactionary, like a lot of other fans that seem to prefer adopting a victim mentality, rather than one of perseverance. Maybe we should be looking at the things the team needs to changer, rather than continuing to blame others for our lack of success. Also, put it into context and look at how the cap drop has effected us - this season, like last, is a bit of an oddity.

What anger? Damn, you are out to lunch. I don't have a victim mentality, that's why I support the Canucks and Torts for standing up for themselves. We are changing. We are finally acting like a team and standing up for ourselves. I know the cap is lower, buddy. Why are you telling me this?

What has acting like pushovers and not standing up for ourselves done for us? Has it won us a cup? Nope.

lol i don't understand some of the ppl bashing torts.. how often does a 4th line goon jumps a art ross player? wtf is that?? it doesn't necessary takes a goon to jump them? one of those goon can easily lay out a big hit and knock out one of our players? would you take that risk knowing what Hartley is trying to do?

Shows he cares for his players. Going solo against the Flames is very respectable in my opinion

The one flame I do have respect for after watching that is Mcgratten...he wasn't being aggressive or chirping, and just tried to be the guy in the middle. I'm glad that he keeps his role to on the ice.

One thing I can say for sure is: no one can fault Torts for putting out the 4th line. There's no way he can put the twins out against Calgary's 4th line. If the twins get pummeled he'd never forgive himself for letting that happen. You have to defend your team and Torts did that today. He didn't back down.

For the on-ice response I agree. But for going after the Flames in the hallway? I think that crosses a line.

It's one of the rare times I'm going to disagree with you.

There are no lines anymore...they've been blurred for some time.

You have refs mouthing, on ice in full view, that someone's a *$%# *$&#

You have refs take a skate with an "I'm watching you" threat, because that's basically what it is.

You have inconsistent calls and players getting hurt as a result.

And then you have an entire week of crap. 7 minute power plays then the start to this game.

So there are no lines. This has become a gong show and Torts is simply a product of that at this point.

And this makes the issues glaring vs continually swept away each night. Let's bring it all to the forefront.

We're never gonna win in this league anyhow. Bush league. There's no respect to be tossed our way regardless of whether the team plays like angels or devils. Doesn't matter AT ALL.

And now it's an us against them mentality. Torts led the charge in that.

But going after the Flames in the hallway outside their locker room is pushing the limit for sure. That's a line you don't cross. Settle scores on the ice. Don't let it become a personal, physical, and verbal battle. It's tough because he has so much passion. But it's something I have learned throughout the course of my career as a hockey player. Being passionate about something it's not excuse you from taking actions that endanger other people. And being passionate about something certainly does not mean that you can be emotional about a situation and cross the line

Boy this really isn't going to help our image across the league. Talk about being the most hated team eh!

Agreed. I think what's most disappointing is that the main reason he said he would cut back on the antics because it was embarrassing his family and he said that he would have none of it. What he did today was nothing less than childish. I had hoped that the same type of composure we see regularly in the post game conferences would carry through after the initial brawl and conversation across benches at the beginning of the first. This clearly wasn't the case.

I think it is personal between the two coaches going back to their Tampa/Atlanta days.

Archived