The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

You know you're an old school Canuck fan when

selkirkcraig

All you old farts know nothing about hockey. The game has changed and anything you have seen over the last 45 years that you have watched means nothing, I mean like, a team gets a point for losing in over time, hell you never even had overtime back then except for the playoffs. You had games where there was no winner, what a laffer. Look at how good the league is now, .500 means winning half the games, the league is so much better now they only have 3 or 4 teams that are below winning half their games.

Look at how the goalies are so much better and much, much bigger now, they almost all have a .900 save percentage. The goalies in your day were so small and played with a glove, not a trapper, didn't have the cheater and equipment that only protected them, they were so bad back then many players could score 50 goals a year or get over a 100 points. Hardly took any skill at all, shooting a puck from 30' out and scoring, any new player today wold score a hundred a year.

And the red line, really? What with that and off side passes? The defence men were so bad there used to be end to end rushes all the time, no wonder players scored so often.

Even the forwards were no interested in back checking, how else could a guy like Orr get lucky enough to score so many points?

AND the records used to stand for decades, now they go down easily because the players are better.

Coaches are all so much better now, look at their winning records, even if it still some few old farts that constantly win the Stanley cup.

No you old farts have re-learn the game, it is total different now, the rules make it so any team can win the cup, the NHL introduced game management to the referee's, made it so even if your team is losing they can still be in the playoff hunt and the NHL now owns all the teams and only sells franchises to some people, people that don't even have to have any real money, like "Boots".

There are new types of sticks, lighter skates, lighter pucks, better armour, no red line, penalties for having the puck go over the various sizes of glass, penalties for body checking, yep, it's all different now.

Come to think about it is a little like watching beer hockey only faster and more skilled, but the penalties are called the same.

Strategies are different now, no more trying to score in the third period if your team is in the lead, no more playing for a tie (ha ha ha) and so many more points given for losing now, the team looks to better in the points column than they really are, it makes so much easier to sell tickets because they are always so close.

Pretty soon there will be no checking at all and the ice will be made of plastic, the puck will be made of sponge, sticks will be bendable so that they can't hurt the players, periods will be called quarters and there will be for of them, what will you old guys do then? To you the game will be alien, like it is now.  

I read a 1/4 of the above post, surely didn't need, to or care to, read any more of it.

I was a fan of NHL hockey and of other teams and their players as a child(born in '65) growing up in Vancouver, not so much of the Canucks because they weren't good back then.

My parents had season tickets for the New Westminster Bruins in the 70's when Ernie 'Punch' Mclean was coaching, they were my local hockey heroes growing up.

As a child I was lucky to have gone with my dad to see the Canucks play the Montreal Canadiens with Yvan Cournoyer, Ken Dryden, etal. Another great was seeing the Boston Bruins with Bobby Orr and Derek Sanderson playing.

Vancouver was only good because they brought exciting players and teams in to watch play live.

I never at that time went to cheer for the Canucks, It was great to see other players like Lafleur or Orr scoring and Dryden making a saves.

But that all finally all changed for me years later, I started to become a Canuck fan with the Pat Quinn GM era, probably beginning  Trevor Linden's rookie year............ add Pavel Bure, Gino Odjick and a kid I grew up playing both Lacrosse and hockey locally against, Cliff Ronning and I was a Canuck fan.(I also played against Brett Hull too, in local hockey, growing up)

The West Coast Express evolved afterwards and then luckily Burke made his best move ever as an NHL exec to draft the Sedins 2nd and 3rd overall.

I remember watching Linden as an 18 year old rookie just 'givin'r', also his face too when about to take faceoffs..... He always TRIED HARD!

I

26 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

my post was sarcasm, I myself saw Esposito play on the Vancouver Canucks at the Forum, once.

I thought you would have justified the cheater because today's players simply shoot the puck harder! :) 

My - was in good humour only.

When you watched games at the Pacific Collesium and were not distracted with advertising all over the boards.  (And remember Dana Murzyn standing up for team-mates like Dorsett).   Or when we were in the Smythe division.  Or when you got a magazine sized game day report on everything Canucks for $1 (and the Smyl's sold whiskey and jeans in the adds).  And how the boards bended inwards during a hit/collision.  When Tim Hunter would skate around and purposely tease the kids (and ahem, grown ups too) with his mug during pre-game skates...and then throw practice pucks over later.   Or when McCallister (6'6') took on up and coming absolute goon Scott Parker and handled him well at near center ice.   

Or when you watched Roger Neilson take a team of boyhood heros all the way to the finals, and into overtime....all was still possible..to watch Mike Bossy score like seven goals in 4 games.  

Or when we played the 1988 all-star team/Stanley Cup champs Calgary flames all the way to game seven in the first round...and were first introduced to Theo Fluery (man that guy had our number for years).  That team was insanely stacked and we gave them better than any other team that year.  

Or when the best Coach/GM/President combo this team has ever had could be seen mashing his gum to death at the bench across the ice half way up the arena.  The Mighty Quin towered over most players without skates on. 

When the radio/TV combo was the best way to experience the games.

A lot for one post but just noticed this thread....can't say I was exposed much during the clubs earliest days, but sure have some fond memories of when the teams identity was still being formed, and truly appreciate every new cycle of players that comes through including the best we have ever had more recently.

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

When you read in the Province the day after the draft. (I don't recall being any coverage on radio back then)

And being ticked the Canucks took Nedved over Darryl Sydor, or Keith Primeau. 

Remember getting all you stats in the paper?   Drafting fantasy hockey with a group of guys with phone in hand connected to another group of wayward friends (and the pools were pretty simple eh? except you got to pick either Gretzky's goals or assists NOT both) and then checking everyday to see who got you the points the following day....and having most of the Eastern games cut off in the first or maybe second period as it went to press before the games ended lol.    And now we type instead of write in cursive (or print/write like some of us ha ha) and get our stats instantaneously created by hockeypools.com...or NHL.com or some   dot com thing.  

On 8/31/2016 at 4:03 PM, smithers joe said:

when you played hockey on the small sheet of ice off the end of the forum ice where the canuck's of pcl played, and you took your own stick to the gut when you got body checked, going for the puck. ouch!! 

That's a hard lesson to learn. I remember I had a coach way back in the day who taught me to keep my top hand 3 inches down when going into the boards so that the other guy would get it!

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Remember getting all you stats in the paper?   Drafting fantasy hockey with a group of guys with phone in hand connected to another group of wayward friends (and the pools were pretty simple eh? except you got to pick either Gretzky's goals or assists NOT both) and then checking everyday to see who got you the points the following day....and having most of the Eastern games cut off in the first or maybe second period as it went to press before the games ended lol.    And now we type instead of write in cursive (or print/write like some of us ha ha) and get our stats instantaneously created by hockeypools.com...or NHL.com or some   dot com thing.  

The Hockey News, I was a victim of WHL support as well. I admit it took guys like Larionov and Bure to get rid of my Russian negativity. I always liked the Blazers. That's why I was always so far behind as the Hockey News was always published a week behind. I just thought Primeau was the big kinda guy like Linden that we needed. We didn't need these "fancy" Eastern Europeans.

For all I knew he would have been another Dan Woodley. 

50 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The Hockey News, I was a victim of WHL support as well. I admit it took guys like Larionov and Bure to get rid of my Russian negativity. I always liked the Blazers. That's why I was always so far behind as the Hockey News was always published a week behind. I just thought Primeau was the big kinda guy like Linden that we needed. We didn't need these "fancy" Eastern Europeans.

For all I knew he would have been another Dan Woodley. 

that is what montreal was thinking, when they took wickenheiser first over all instead of the fan's favourite dennis savard.

many thought that nedved would turn out to be a scoring leader. there was a lot of hype around him. there has been a lot of players taken that didn't turn out as planned. 

3 hours ago, smithers joe said:

that is what montreal was thinking, when they took wickenheiser first over all instead of the fan's favourite dennis savard.

many thought that nedved would turn out to be a scoring leader. there was a lot of hype around him. there has been a lot of players taken that didn't turn out as planned. 

Nedved could have been a great player. The reality is that Nedved's great talent didn't include a great attitude and work ethic that would've equaled greatness. 

25 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Nedved could have been a great player. The reality is that Nedved's great talent didn't include a great attitude and work ethic that would've equaled greatness. 

I think what really bugged me is when he asked Gretzky to autograph his stick. It's ok to be a player and fan but maybe in the locker room after the game?

Archived