The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Free Torts t-shirts

GarMonster

I will start by saying I rarely post here, although I have been a die-hard 'Nucks fan since I was watching them on our black & white tv as a kid.

So a couple guys (Treven LePage & a friend) go out of their way and start printing and selling "Free Torts" t-shirts & pledge part of their proceeds to a foundation only to be shut down by Trent Carroll, executive vice pres. of sales and marketing & the Canucks organization.

"...he was using the likeness of a member of the Canucks to generate personal profit, so we unfortunately had to ask him to stop."

No. You did not have to do anything, you greedy, corporate jerks. How long do you think these guys would "be in business"? Yeah, likely 15 days. Big deal. My real issue with this is where the hell were YOU when they were selling the "2 Sisters, No Cup" t-shirts with the Sedins' faces on them?? I heard no stink from you then, but all I smell now is corporate bull-sh#t...

I searched to see if this was posted anywhere else and did not see it anywhere else. It may be in some other thread somewhere, where I maybe should have posted this, but I didn't read everything possible to know for sure or not... As it is, I feel this thread will most likely be deleted anyways for one reason or another, which is the main reason why I never really post on these boards in the first place... This is my personal opinion and end of rant. Thanks for listening.

**Link to this back story is Stephanie Ip's column ppA53 "The Province" Jan.24, 2014.

p.s. I'm normally a happy guy, but you su#k Trent Carroll. (& no, I have NOTHING to do with those shirts in question)

I will start by saying I rarely post here, although I have been a die-hard 'Nucks fan since I was watching them on our black & white tv as a kid.

So a couple guys (Treven LePage & a friend) go out of their way and start printing and selling "Free Torts" t-shirts & pledge part of their proceeds to a foundation only to be shut down by Trent Carroll, executive vice pres. of sales and marketing & the Canucks organization.

"...he was using the likeness of a member of the Canucks to generate personal profit, so we unfortunately had to ask him to stop."

No. You did not have to do anything, you greedy, corporate jerks. How long do you think these guys would "be in business"? Yeah, likely 15 days. Big deal. My real issue with this is where the hell were YOU when they were selling the "2 Sisters, No Cup" t-shirts with the Sedins' faces on them?? I heard no stink from you then, but all I smell now is corporate bull-sh#t...

I searched to see if this was posted anywhere else and did not see it anywhere else. It may be in some other thread somewhere, where I maybe should have posted this, but I didn't read everything possible to know for sure or not... As it is, I feel this thread will most likely be deleted anyways for one reason or another, which is the main reason why I never really post on these boards in the first place... This is my personal opinion and end of rant. Thanks for listening.

**Link to this back story is Stephanie Ip's column ppA53 "The Province" Jan.24, 2014.

p.s. I'm normally a happy guy, but you su#k Trent Carroll. (& no, I have NOTHING to do with those shirts in question)

perhaps, and I'm just spitballing here, but maybe the organization is not too crazy about the coach acting like a complete buffoon on TV and are trying to push it in the past.

No real opinion on it but that reminds me of when Steve Downie was suspended 20 games for his hit on Dean McAmmond. Flyers fans basically did the exact same Free Downie stuff Nucks are doing with Torts and there was a guy who started selling "Free Downie" shirts which started appearing at a lot of the games. If it means anything the NHL and organization didn't care or stop it.

msg_downie-382x510.jpg

1rzf.jpg

So I don't see it as a big deal but they do have the right to dispute it.

No real opinion on it but that reminds me of when Steve Downie was suspended 20 games for his hit on Dean McAmmond. Flyers fans basically did the exact same Free Downie stuff Nucks are doing with Torts and there was a guy who started selling "Free Downie" shirts which started appearing at a lot of the games. If it means anything the NHL and organization didn't care or stop it.

msg_downie-382x510.jpg

So I don't see it as a big deal but they do have the right to dispute it.

that's just words,these ones sound like they had a picture of Torts on them as well as the "free Torts". Think that's what the problem was

I know those guys are making those shirts all in good fun, but to be honest it's really an insult and an embarrassment to Coach Tortorella. As for the Downie situation, whatever cause he's a professional hockey player. The ones we go pay to see when buying tickets... We don't pay tickets to watch coaches.

I really don't like those Free Torts slogan as it makes us our hockey club look like a joke. Just brush it aside and wait till he comes back ffs. Stop making this whole situation a big deal.

I don't understand why majority of Canucks fans always find something so minuscule and witty to glorify until they find something new.

I can understand why the corporation shut those guys down in creating those shirts. It's an embarrassment to the Nucks organization! Although I agree those corporate jerks are a-holes for being so greedy but at the same time, same thing can be said for those guys making the shirts. The ulterior motive was knowing they'd be able to sell these shirt and make some good profit rather than supporting Torts. Even if they were trying to "support", i'm pretty sure coache's don't need that extra push and support to help them coach better. As for the players, that's a different story.

It depends on the size of the production and extent of advertising to be honest. I have a buddy who made up a handful of Canucks related shirts, just personal runs for himself and friends who wanted it. Then again, he was only covering his costs and a little bit of time but if he were to produce hundreds of them and advertise them to a wider audience than his Facebook friends, then he might have gotten attention from the Canucks as well.

That's silly but not unreasonable. I wonder how many tshirts they had left over because they should do a run of text only shirts. Just use agencyfb font with #FreeTorts and they'd still sell and the Canucks wouldn't have any claim against them.

It doesn't matter how long they would "be in business", it matters that they'd be in business. People pay a high price to advertise via/including the Canucks and there's a reason others can't simply decide to do so at will. How would that be fair? If one does, then another, then another, for even longer and yeah. No.

AllEyez, I'm actually all for the suspension.

...but these guys weren't branding knock-off jerseys or anything. They were simply, showing their creativity and Canuck "spirit". If they made a few bucks in like 2 weeks, big deal. Corporate greed bs for not just turning a blind eye to it, i.m.h.o... but yeah...

...but these guys weren't branding knock-off jerseys or anything. They were simply, showing their creativity and Canuck "spirit". If they made a few bucks in like 2 weeks, big deal. Corporate greed bs for not just turning a blind eye to it, i.m.h.o... but yeah...

Actually, they were using Tortorella's face to promote an item that's not NHL-branded. If it just said FREE TORTS, the team would have no right in ordering the production be shut down.

In this case, it's no different than counterfeit WWE merch featuring various superstars' faces on a t-shirt, when it's clearly a fake.

that's just words,these ones sound like they had a picture of Torts on them as well as the "free Torts". Think that's what the problem was

It is possible. Though the guy who sold those shirts kept his website up and started selling other shirts. This was a whole back so I forget most of what he sold as well as what the website was but I did buy one shirt off him which had the Flyers Gorilla on it. He avoided using logos but still a picture. It mainly seems like the opinion of whoever runs that department for the team. Keep in mind Philadelphia marketed the team right into this as a violent team with vicious fans. The team's slogan one season was literally, "Back with a Vengeance" which highlighted 5 suspensions.

I feel the Canucks has a right to get on the guy for it but I don't feel they had to do it.

EFG_shirt.jpg

The problem is.......if anyone who wanted can just make shirts of whatever they want.....then large companies would do this. Their would be dozens of companies with tort shirts out there. That's the only reason these brothers found a market niche.....cause they are the only ones.....because its not allowed.

Archived