The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Colin Campbell calls Tortorella’s behaviour “an embarrassment to the game.”

OrrFour

I had to post this brilliant piece by T Gallagher at the province.

I give him lots of credit for having the balls to write this about a powerful member of nhl management.

"Say it ain’t so. Tell me Colin Campbell didn’t really call Tortorella’s behaviour last Saturday night “an embarrassment to the game.” But there it is, right in the NHL statement. Seriously, Colin Campbell said that? Maybe it was some p.r. guy plunking it in front of him and he signed it.

Remember, this is the guy who in 2007 was sending emails to then director of officials Stephen Walkom about soft penalties being called on his son Greg Campbell, when the player was with the Panthers and Campbell was running the hockey operations of the league. And then when those emails became public in former referee Dean Warren’s wrongful dismissal case against the NHL, he defended himself by saying that Walkom and he would “have banter back and forth all the time and that Stephen knows that he’s just a hockey dad venting.”

But then lo and behold, when the 2011 Stanley Cup final rolls around and Greg Campbell is playing for the Bruins against the Canucks, who is assigned to work the final, you ask? Right, the old bantering pal of the hockey dad, Stephen Walkom himself. And this guy has the gall to call Tortorella “an embarrassment to the game?” Another choice of words might have been preferable in retrospect."

Shocking. You mean to say the NHL is an old boys club and that certain people and players get preferential treatment?

You mean there is hypocrisy at the highest ends? Questionable officiating due to personal ties?

Shocking to say the least

Props to the crypt keeper for writing this.

nobody could ever damage the game as much as bettman,campbell and the rest of the weasels.it doesn't surprise me the weasel would say something like this.if that was an embarrassment to hockey i guess hockey's been embarrassed since the 70's,yeah you're a real frackin man,campbell.olbermann beaks off and the next game the refs punish the canucks at anneheim and campbell pretends wild crap like that has never happened in the nhl before.you're an embarrassment to canada.

If we're being honest and unbiased, Torts's actions were a bit embarrassing weren't they?

Not the line matching of 4th lines. That needed to be done.

But exploding and trying to go after a team in the hallway? What would we have done if the Flames let him in to the room? What would he have done if the Canucks' staff didn't restrain him? Would he have taken on an entire hockey team (all wearing full gear) by himself?

It was stupid. What was the point of doing that, other than showing that he can't control his temper. He's a passionate guy and I respect him for it. But he did cross the line.

If we're being honest and unbiased, Torts's actions were a bit embarrassing weren't they?

Not the line matching of 4th lines. That needed to be done.

But exploding and trying to go after a team in the hallway? What would we have done if the Flames let him in to the room? What would he have done if the Canucks' staff didn't restrain him? Would he have taken on an entire hockey team (all wearing full gear) by himself?

It was stupid. What was the point of doing that, other than showing that he can't control his temper. He's a passionate guy and I respect him for it. But he did cross the line.

I tend to agree.. I was at the Calgary game and it was heated right from the puck drop.. Torts was livid and I'm not surprised that that happened in the hallways.. It doesn't make it okay though, and even though Torts is a firey and passionate hockey guy, his emotions definitely got the better of him. No excuse, it was wrong.

That being said, who in the F is Colin Campbell to talk about ANYone who he thinks is an embarrassment to hockey.. Someone needs to remind this clown of the last decade and the numerous gaffs that occurred on the watch of those fools running the NHL.. Talk about a foolish hypocrite

Although it is a case of the kettle calling the pot black it is a valid statement.

Torts had nothing to accomplish by running over to the flames room. He should have attacked Hartleys character in the post game comments. Hell if he was that fired up he should have found Murph in the hall instead and told him what he wanted to say, sportsnet would never turn down a torts rant.

It is sad when a Coach has to resort to such measures to draw attention to an ongoing 'travesty' .. the officiating and discipline in the NHL is a complete joke .. and Campbell and his Masters are directly responsible for the state of the 'game', such as it is.

Anyone who is 'embarassed' by Torts explosion is in denial .. grow a pair!!

So, no one thinks that Torts went overboard? I agree with the statement. The yelling across the bench was fine. Torts did what was unacceptable and embarrassing going into the other team's locker room to create more of a ruckus. Colin Campbell isn't too much of a bright soul himself, but Torts let his feelings get the better of him and he will get criticized for unacceptable behaviour and lack of professionalism.

Archived