The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Is the Oilers First Round Pick Still In Play?

Earlier in the season when the Oilers were still somewhat in contention for a playoff spot Craig Mactavish was quoted several times saying the teams first round pick would be in play if they could obtain some immediate help on the blue-line and/or in goal. The Oilers now sit 29th in the league, four points ahead of the last place sabres and five points behind 28th place Flames. If all stays the same they would be picking 2nd come June.

Every year it seems like Edmonton is stuck in the same position, holding on to a high pick in the draft and struggling with the decision as to whether or not it should be traded. They have continually made the same choice and kept the pick only to have the same results in the next season.

My question is have the Oilers learned from their mistakes and realized that they require bonafide NHLers in their line-up or will they continue to stock up on elite-level prospects now that they have played their way into a top 5 pick?

I feel like the sticking point will be whether or not Ekblad is drafted first overall, or whether he is still available by the time Edmonton is on the clock. He seems by all accounts to be a franchise defenseman in the future, and looks physically ready to play in the NHL next year. The pick however would be sure to garner a lot of value through trade ecspecially if it was packaged with another asset like Eberle, Yakupov, or Gagner.

So there it is, will the Oilers trade the pick? Who would be interested and what woul the estimated return be?

If Edmonton nets that 1st overall via lottery they're drafting Ekblad without question.

If they fall to the 2nd overall or 3rd overall pick it depends on if they trade someone like Gagner, Eberle or the like. Gotta figure out which would net the best return.

Basically you have to ask, who in the league has a stud bonafide young Winger, Center or D man they'd be willing to give up for a 1st round pick in the top 3 of a shallow draft. And then if that player would help the club long term more than a solid stud D prospect would

If I'm MacT right now, I'm calling up Tim Murray and asking what it would cost to trade up to #1 to draft Ekblad, if Buffalo has no interest then I could see them trading down to 15-16 to take McKeown or Honka.

If I was Edmonton I wouldn't be trying to give up anymore assets than I have to, they need them all to be honest.

Maybe if it was the ninth or tenth pick. Doubt they'd trade another first overall. Might as well just draft ekblad and be a little more patient, as hard as that sounds. When him and nurse are anchoring the blue line behind yak nuge hall ebs, As hard as it is to believe, they might actually be really good soon.

Best case scenario, ekblad doesn't become the player they hope him to be 3-4 years from now... Can edm fans wait that long?

I think this 1st ovr pick if it falls to edm has a real good at being moved for a stud defenseman 2-3 years into their development

What if the subban/mtl contract talks go real sour? That would make things real interesting

I feel like Nashville is a very intriguing team as far as having the assets to trade for that pick. They are obviously in rebuilding mode and as it stands they would have the 8th overall pick (which would be within striking distance of Haydn Fleury the second highest ranked defensive prospect). Poile has said that they are certainly looking for offense. Having two top ten picks would do wonders for them. Package Eberle, Nurse, and the 2nd overall pick for Shea Weber. The Preds would go forward with Forsberg, Eberle, Reinhart or Ekblad, Jones, and Nurse as their star players, as well as whoever they draft at that 8th spot. Plus freeing up some cap space would let them make a splash in free agency (maybe a d-man like girardi?).

I feel like Nashville is a very intriguing team as far as having the assets to trade for that pick. They are obviously in rebuilding mode and as it stands they would have the 8th overall pick (which would be within striking distance of Haydn Fleury the second highest ranked defensive prospect). Poile has said that they are certainly looking for offense. Having two top ten picks would do wonders for them. Package Eberle, Nurse, and the 2nd overall pick for Shea Weber. The Preds would go forward with Forsberg, Eberle, Reinhart or Ekblad, Jones, and Nurse as their star players, as well as whoever they draft at that 8th spot. Plus freeing up some cap space would let them make a splash in free agency (maybe a d-man like girardi?).

Shea Weber in Edmonton. I just shuddered.. for his career's sake.

You draft the best player available for trading purposes later.

I think that philosophy has lost its appeal the last few years. Unless there's a crosby in the draft Players in the 1-4 are all a gamble on which player ends up being better. 5-10 again who knows, Then once you hit past 15 it's a shot in the dark. The player you think is the best may not be the become the best.

Look at what happened last year with Seth Jones who was rated #1 overall ended up dropping down to #4.

Look at the oilers who drafted the best player each year instead of drafting to team needs they've got 3 high offence players. Imagine what that team would look like if they drafted Seguin, Landeskog and traded down the 1st round (yakupov) pick to say the 15th-20th pick for some team needs plus decent draft pick.

Unless the pick is a can't miss player, you draft what your team needs our and if there's no one available that helps your needs you trade for more value. As an example I can easily see Oilers trading their pick away if say they end up 3rd overall and Ekblad is taken

Archived