The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stop the delusional talk about a cup run trade.

alexkidd

I loved the tough forechecking we did at the start of the year BUT we haven't kept it up. It is an impossible style to maintain with 3 lines..it wore out the vets over the last month..also impossible with injuries (ie bad or hurting shoulders) as much as I love the style we've over used the top lines and have to retreat to a more sustainable trap style. One whole line not helping share the load of a long season is not the correct formula (see Chicago's 4th line as an example of what to strive for)

Nailed it. A fourth line that plays 4 minutes a night is a losing formula.

Sedins killing more penalties than a guy like Hansen - losing formula.

Edler as the top shutdown defenseman - was a losing formula. Corrected.

Sestito - not the answer for the powerplay (as much as I love him)...

There are some things I really like about Tortorella, but the putting the team in the blender thing - not a big fan of that.

Use players to their strengths and stop outsmarting ourselves.

Where MG is concerned - go out and get a depth center that can win faceoffs, kill penalties, play shutdown and take some weight off the other guys not really suited to the role - and off of Richardson, who like the Sedins and Kesler, is being taxed too heavily imo.

lmao, see this is the exact mentality that has diseased this team forever. Comets star Hodgson even knew he was better than most players on the team. This kind of problem doesn't happen in Chicago. Imagine them saying , uhhh hold on second Patrick Kane , you will have to ease into the league,we have guys that are making more than you, so you'll have to wait. This is what Hodgson experienced Imagine the canucks handling the same situation with Kane. He most certainly wouldn't have been available to score the OT goal a few years back because he would have been wearing a suit or traded well before.

What a dumb analogy.

Try a real one on for size.

Brandon Saad. 39 points in 56 games, +22, with better underlying numbers and considerably better than Hodgson's rookie season - on the Hawks third line and not crying about it.

Why? Because the Hawks have wingers like Hossa, Sharp, Kane and Versteeg in their top 6 - and having Saad on the third line not only causes matchup problems for opponents, but gets him some better situational matchups himself where he's not facing the other team's top pairings.

Hodgson had it a lot better than most of the noobs here realize/d.

Since the Cup run the team has gotten worse in every category you can think of... and it's next to impossible to see this changing any time soon. Players in their thirties don't get better... they get worse. Gillis has spent his tenure here giving the finger to player development and now we're paying the price.

Mrhopeless, you're not hopless. Good post.

Since the Cup run the team has gotten worse in every category you can think of... and it's next to impossible to see this changing any time soon. Players in their thirties don't get better... they get worse. Gillis has spent his tenure here giving the finger to player development and now we're paying the price.

He went out and got us an AHL team so we can finally develop our prospects, our minor team was in flux since the Moose. When we had the Moose we developed some great prospects.

Why oh why are people still expecting us to be dominant this year? It's not going to happen. It never was going to happen (especially with our best offensive player out).

Say it with me folks:

"Transition year".

I wish it was a transition year, but in reality it is not.

It would have been a transition year if Gillis had done the smart thing and let the Sedins play out the year and hit UFA status. But he didn't, instead he panicked after the Sedins had a good start to the year and reports surfaced the cap would be going up a lot. Since the Sedins were re-signed their play has fallen off a cliff and the C$ has tanked which likely means the cap may not go up as much as previously thought. As it stands the Sedins contracts are now looking horrible going forward mere months after they were signed. 4 more years after this one at a combiined $14Mper year in cap hit. It is brutal.

The Sedins are untradeable going forward. You can't trade just one as no team wants just one of them and they have NTC's and even if they agree to be traded they will likley only agree to that if they are traded together. And no team wants to spend $14Million per year on a pair of declining players.

Because of Gillis' panicked move earlier this season on the Sedins the Canucks are now stuck with them for 4 more years and they will be paid like top line players throughout that time and any true transition can't even happen.

Really for all the talk of about the other bad moves Gillis has made, the re-signing of the Sedins may be his worst move yet as GM.

What a dumb analogy.

Try a real one on for size.

Brandon Saad. 39 points in 56 games, +22, with better underlying numbers and considerably better than Hodgson's rookie season - on the Hawks third line and not crying about it.

Hodgson had it a lot better than most of the noobs here realize/d.

Agreed,dumb analogies from noob's abound.

Saad is in his second campaign,playing for the league's best team.

He is a winger and is two inches taller and nearly 20 lbs heavier than Hodgson, a center,playing on the league's worst team.

“I never once asked for more ice time when I was in Vancouver, even though the media asked me every day if I thought I should be playing more. I was just happy to be playing in the NHL when I was there at that stage of my career. When you guys in the media would ask me, I told them then that I hadn’t asked for more ice time. There’s no way I was saying one thing to them and then going in behind closed doors and doing something else. I wouldn’t ever do that. That just isn’t me.

This isn’t Pee-Wee hockey where the dad can call up the coach and interfere with what’s going on, This is professional hockey and that sort of thing doesn’t happen. He never called the team. You just can’t do that." Hodgson told the Province.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/globe-on-hockey/cody-hodgson-still-dealing-with-canucks-rumours/article14909466/

Post of the week.

Thanks for the props but I was aactually being serious as imo Oldnews posts sensible opinions/fact based statements. So my post wasreally a backhanded dangling hook of a qquestion directed his way.Imo all we have at the moment are acting depth centers.An underachieving henrik is however not a depth center to be fair and maybe an inconsistent oft injured Kes escapes this title as well. However as kes cant carry a line and doesnt have a legit supporting cast he may as well be uutilized as a shutdown C....which is a disappointing role for a 2C.Therefore the remaining Cs are in fact depth centers.Maybe Oldnews forgot to type the rest of list of rewuired positions to make this team a contender.if you cant score like we cant yu dont win games. If you cant defend like we cant you dont win games. So outside of a debateable requirement of a depth C, I see two other voids to fill - minimum.And thats just to make the playoffs and achieve more than our last two attempts.Remember, we have to outplay the refs too;).

Hawks now have 1 more win than us this month, does that mean they need to rebuild too? What a bunch of premature fans. Bunch of spoiled 12 year olds that cry when things aren't going their way.

Viewed the thread, was in disbelief as I felt I was the only one who realized this.

Thank you. You saved my hope for Canuck fans.

So many teams are slumping right now but of course, leave it to CDC to pin the Canucks as the worst. San Jose 1 goal in 3 games.. I still say they have a solid shot at the cup. If that was us, fire everyone, start over.

Oh look who's back - it's CDC own resident grumpy cat.

The fact that Saad is in his second season with those numbers and still on the third line only makes the case stronger that there was absolutely nothing wrong with Hodgson playing on the Canucks third line as a rookie - just in case you may have glimpsed the actual content of the discussion.

As for dredging out the dead horse content about Cody the victim vs Cody the traitor, who cares? His usage was fine - his treatment is not the point of this discussion, and has been done to death regardless.

I'm probably gonna get flamed for this but, LA were in a similar situation as us the year they won the cup. Our D arguably isn't as tight defensively but I believe we are one bonafide scorer away from being able to contend.

BUT, and this is a huge but, we need to Lu to play out of his mind good. Like the year he won 46-47 games in the season good, like 2011 good. We need him to be Quick good.

Does this happen probably not. I think we need a bonafide shooter AND a heart a soul guy. We claim that guy to be Juice or Kesler but they go invisible more often then not. A heart and soul guy hits and is gritty when he isn't scoring. A Doan or Ladd, hell even Brown as much as I hate him would help.

He is a winger and is two inches taller and nearly 20 lbs heavier than Hodgson, a center,playing on the league's worst team.

“I never once asked for more ice time when I was in Vancouver, even though the media asked me every day if I thought I should be playing more. I was just happy to be playing in the NHL when I was there at that stage of my career. When you guys in the media would ask me, I told them then that I hadn’t asked for more ice time. There’s no way I was saying one thing to them and then going in behind closed doors and doing something else. I wouldn’t ever do that. That just isn’t me.

This isn’t Pee-Wee hockey where the dad can call up the coach and interfere with what’s going on, This is professional hockey and that sort of thing doesn’t happen. He never called the team. You just can’t do that." Hodgson told the Province.

http://www.theglobea...rticle14909466/

Thank you for posting that article!

well said nick nit, who made up these rumours about hodgson anyways? bieksa? Luongo? remember the big head comment? ITs lung who's big mouth gets us in trouble, remember the tim thomas talk? man oh man what a wrong time to open your mouth. I thoroughly am convinced half the posters in here are still in minor hockey. Nice post from oldness and gradine 123, they seem to know whats up.Whoever called me stupid is fine, i know what I seen after watching this team play for 24 years.

Archived