The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] "Down with the Sickness"

Silfverberg Snipes

Exiting the zone for the most part of the game was hard to watch, very weak attempts doing so. Watching the Blackhawks' zone entries and creating chances off the rush were on such a different level than Vancouver's tonight. A trend in this game and throughout the majority of the month have been the secondary and tertiary chances, the Hawks simply owned more possession after the initial chance.

I guess one of the few positives in this game was Higgins continued to score.

With the way were playing and the way Winnipeg as been playing of late, I do not like this team's chances on Friday night.

If I was Gillis.

I'd walk into the locker room. Tell the players they've got to get going, or its a total rebuild, and players should get their trade lists ready.

If that doesn't wake them up. Then it's over.

Most of the veterans have NTCs so that would be the lamest speech ever! Get their trade lists ready! They will have a good laugh at that. Did trying to trade Luongo and his NTC work out well?

A retool takes years. Only a fool expects am immediate retool. Minimum I would say is 6- 7 years, realistically.

LOL no way, 6-7 years is for full rebuild.. That's the time it takes for a 18 year old to enter his prime pretty much

A retool should take no more than 2--3 years, ala Chicago, Anaheim, San Jose

A retool takes years. Only a fool expects am immediate retool. Minimum I would say is 6- 7 years, realistically.

A rebuild should take years, a proper retool should be seamless with maybe one month down time. Thing is we didn't retool, we just swapped out the bottom six like we do every year and got a new coach.

Gillis is on his last thread in Vancouver, he's not going to rebuild the team.

Can you imagine him asking the Twins to wave their NTC's, as well as Burrows, Higgins, Kesler, Bieksa.

All after signing reasonable contracts and having a sense of security. He'd be out of here so quickly and would be forever dubbed as the GM who ruined this team.

There will be no shake up, this core is here till the end (hence NTC's) and they CAN get it done, we've witnessed it in 2011.

Fans like to freak out during slumps and I can understand the frustration but I definitely cannot understand throwing in the towel like that.

Like I said before, the addition of off season signings and effective youth CAN put us in position to compete again.

Patience, it's a process. Remember?

Time will tell but I do not share your confidence in this group. In 2011 everything came together with many players having career years. They have been in decline for three year snow and appear to be spiralling even further down. Success in sports is a fickle thing...this core just doesn't seem to have the right pieces or chemistry to overcome adversity. They have to manufacture standing up for each other and make a big deal about it (LA game) when in a tight knit team, that happens naturally.

I think you are right that MG will stick with this group. Unfortunately, I believe that means we are not going to see much success until they are all retired. Calgary II a distinct possibility.

LOL no way, 6-7 years is for full rebuild.. That's the time it takes for a 18 year old to enter his prime pretty much

A retool should take no more than 2--3 years, ala Chicago, Anaheim, San Jose

Chicago, Anaheim and SJ had a core that was still in their prime when they started the retool- Toews, kane, Perry, Getzlaf, Thornton, Marleau. The core here Sedins) is past their prime, well on their way down, so it's called a retool but the true word is as you suggest, a rebuild.

A rebuild should take years, a proper retool should be seamless with maybe one month down time. Thing is we didn't retool, we just swapped out the bottom six like we do every year and got a new coach.

We're talking the core has to be rebuilt here, thats not a month's work! You can drink MG's kool aid and hope that the retool will be done by february but it's not going to happen. Luongo, Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Hamhuis all pass their prime and on the quick way down. Denial won't help.

I just want an answer from management, where is this team going? Are they supposed to be going down or are we supposed to be winning?

I guess it could be answered at the trade deadline.

Daniel Sedin... Something needs to happen, conditioning stint or scratched. Something is wrong with him, his timing is off and he is messed up right now.

We got beat by the better team, can't blame us really. Chicago has high fire power and scoring 4 goals is pretty easy for them especially on a mediocre team like ours. We won't score alot of goals so we need to really lock down on defense and Luongo will have to make the WOW saves to keep us in the game because he has to be the backbone to our team.

If I was Gillis.

I'd walk into the locker room. Tell the players they've got to get going, or its a total rebuild, and players should get their trade lists ready.

If that doesn't wake them up. Then it's over.

I hear you!

In summer 2009, Gillis made the hard decision not to re-sign big Willie Mitchell, despite his popularity. That worked.

We did not learn from it. We are full of patronage deals complete with NTC's. I'm not so sure I would be quite so blunt. You might lack the leverage to pull that off without disowning a group we owe waaaay nearly $200 mill to. It could also be suicide?

There are subtle ways to communicate the same message!

Archived