The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Living with people that smoke..

RottenCanuck22

I'm considering moving to a new place where the people upstairs smoke outside on their balcony. My suite would be below their balcony. There is no smoking inside the house period though, it is all outside. I'm still a bit worried about it for my health concerns. If my door is shut and windows are shut, the smoke should just go up and not really affect my living quarters right? It seems to be a pretty air tight suite and its very modern, also there is no stairwell or anything going up to their place. Its a completely self contained suite.

What do you guys think? Will it be safe to live there? It definitly wouldnt be as bad as an apartment building where people tend to smoke inside or just on their balconies a lot..

From my experience...smoke is still able to travel thru all ventilation systems quite easily.... like air-conditioning units & heat registers. If you're really that concerned about it...I think it's worthwhile to search for a place where all of the co-habitants of your residential space are....non-smokers. Just sayin'.

I'm considering moving to a new place where the people upstairs smoke outside on their balcony. My suite would be below their balcony. There is no smoking inside the house period though, it is all outside. I'm still a bit worried about it for my health concerns. If my door is shut and windows are shut, the smoke should just go up and not really affect my living quarters right? It seems to be a pretty air tight suite and its very modern, also there is no stairwell or anything going up to their place. Its a completely self contained suite.

What do you guys think? Will it be safe to live there? It definitly wouldnt be as bad as an apartment building where people tend to smoke inside or just on their balconies a lot..

Straight up, health concerns would be negligible to slim. On a personal note though, I find the diluted odour of second hand smoke to be absolutely disgusting. And this comes from someone who has the vices of drinking frequently and smoking weed. Do whatever you like, but just take your personal comfort level into account when considering your new living space. Whenever you have your windows open, especially in summer, the potential for cigarette rain to enter your domain is high. If you are at all like me, and have an acute olfactory system, the constant scent of burnt Ricky's will drive you to discomfort.

Picture: You and your sexy date that you dig are just about to sit down to a badass meal of butter poached lobster with a glass of Chenin Blanc, and you think "this is so happening tonight", then, without hesitation, your upstairs pals all decide to smoke 3 darts each over the duration of your meal, ruining the atmosphere, and souring the milk that was your chances with the fine lady.

Just saying what I feel. No smoking is better.

I would look elsewhere for accommodation.

If you want any sort of air ventilation in your apartment, you'd leave the windows/balcony door open from time to time I'd assume. In that case, I don't see how it's healthy at all. Are there no other options?

Well I would leave them open when they werent smoking and shut them when they were.. yes there is the option of not moving there its just thats the one negative aspect of the place besides that it seems great. Can smoke really travel downwards and into the windows though? wont it just go up in to the air?

Straight up, no offense smokers, but you suck, and you stink.

Health concerns would be negligible to slim on a short term basis. I'm disclaiming that the previous statement was not peer reviewed. On a personal note though, I find the diluted odour of second hand smoke to be absolutely disgusting. And this comes from someone who has the vices of drinking frequently and smoking weed. Do whatever you like, but just take your personal comfort level into account when considering your new living space. Whenever you have your windows open, especially in summer, the potential for cigarette rain to enter your domain is high. If you are at all like me, and have an acute olfactory system, the constant scent of burnt Ricky's will drive you to discomfort.

Picture: You and your sexy date that you dig are just about to sit down to a badass meal of butter poached lobster with a glass of Chenin Blanc, and you think "this is so happening tonight", then, without hesitation, your upstairs pals all decide to smoke 3 darts each over the duration of your meal, ruining the atmosphere, and souring the milk that was your chances with the fine lady.

Just saying what I feel. No smoking is better.

I would look elsewhere for accommodation.

All I can contribute is that if you have any outdoor/living space below their balcony, it'll get really disgusting.

I live in an apartment building, and have a big deck since I'm close to the ground. We constantly get cigarette butts on our deck from above (even though smoking isn't allowed in our building) from time to time, and it's a pain in the ass. Honestly makes me want to strangle whoever is doing it.

If my windows are shut and its air tight the smoke shouldnt get in right? Its a basement so it should be cooler in the summer allowing me to keep them comftorably closed more often. I also could keep the bathroom fan on to circulate the air. Im so torn on what to do right now.

Ive had smoke come from below and bug me a bit but never from someone above.Smoke travels upwards and disperses fairly quickly. Unless you have a bizarre downdraft happening it should be a non issue for smoke. Of course people do pitch butts off their balconies sometimes without realizing its littering. We had a person in the tower I last lived in who got fined a bunch of times for that. At $150 per youd think they would have gotten the message.

Sounds like it's not good considering the concern you have towards it.

Smoking is bad, second hand is just as bad, and one way or another it will effect you. I'm personally a non-smoker, don't mind smokers though but just don't prefer it cause it's my choice. It really is like biting away from yourself but who knows, people get addicted initially and the test becomes history. Still find it hilariously sad how the government supports selling of cigars for tax reasons, then make adds on how to get away from them, then give signs of it's affects and ultimately do treatments/surgeries...racking in the money and most don't even know. Sad on the gov. doing that and feel bad for addicted smokers...it really is nothing but disease but don't bash on me, just my opinion.

As for OP, like I said yea, it will effect you one way or another and if you're the type concerned about it, should definitely move as it will only be a positive for your well being.

Ive had smoke come from below and bug me a bit but never from someone above.Smoke travels upwards and disperses fairly quickly. Unless you have a bizarre downdraft happening it should be a non issue for smoke. Of course people do pitch butts off their balconies sometimes without realizing its littering. We had a person in the tower I last lived in who got fined a bunch of times for that. At $150 per youd think they would have gotten the message.

That won't be a problem.. They are the home owners and it's not like they are grubby people or anything. I doubt they would want to throw butts off their balcony on to their own property especially when they have stuff down there like hot tub and stuff.

What if I were to use an air purifier in my house as well? Could that help?

I live in an apartment where the people above me smoke and the smell goes through your ventilation and sometimes even the electric sockets. The only way i know of getting rid of the smell from coming into your house is to tape over the sockets or vents the smell comes through. Also i leave my windows open all the time and i don't smell their smoke so i don't think it would be a problem.

Had someone living in our basement years ago, would always smoke outside, however the smell always came through into our side of the house, even tried taping around the doors, nope smell traveled through.

Nobody ever used the room next to the basement as it would always smell. Guy eventually had to go.

I guess it traveled through clothes and such? Windows on their end? Who knows.

I live in an apartment where the people above me smoke and the smell goes through your ventilation and sometimes even the electric sockets. The only way i know of getting rid of the smell from coming into your house is to tape over the sockets or vents the smell comes through. Also i leave my windows open all the time and i don't smell their smoke so i don't think it would be a problem.

Wait so the smoke isnt a problem for you in your place or it is? Sounds like the people were smoking inside their house.. I think there would be less of a ventilation issue from the smoke for me because the people only smoke outside.outside on their balcony.

Archived