The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Living with people that smoke..

RottenCanuck22

Why do you think that hardwood flooring is a bad offender? I've done studies on indoor air quality and I agree with you when you say that flooring tends to be the worst, but I found that hardwood flooring itself to be a magnificent alternative to linoleum or carpet. Maybe you are thinking of parkay or laminate, not true hardwood? The resins/stains put on hardwood can be bad but they finish offgassing quickly (and also there are some products that do not contain VOCs). Ikea-type furniture and wall coverings (i.e. paint) can also be bad offenders.

I sold flooring for over a decade and no manufacturer ever said their hardwood finished off-gassing quickly at all (especially after a couple of cocktails). Major off-gassing stops after a week or so but many products will continue to off-gas at varying degrees. They use heavy-duty chemicals on hardwoods (illegal to transport through non-industrial routes, heavy-duty). I am sure some wood species that are inherently tough don't require the same engineering as say white oak which is relatively soft, and often engineered and stained to impersonate the more exotic (and far denser) woods out there (bamboo, tigerwood, lapacho). Since each finish is different however (some use aluminum oxide, some use titanium oxide while others use a cocktail of unpronouncable chemicals thanks to weak American regulation), it is impossible to narrow one species/manufacturer down as being safer than another.

Laminates are bad although they require an underpad which negatively impacts air-tests (as underpads also do with carpeting due to them often being recycled from many undisclosed sources). Also there is the fact that carpeting is safer than hardwoods for asthmatics and people who suffer from allergies despite some mind-boggling propaganda perpetuating the opposite.

Looks like Dee's not the one I have to worry about. Haha

Dee you have to worry about him kidnapping you and locking you in his basement.

With me it's either i'm going to try and woo you or sell you a vehicle. I come with a "no gagging and locking you in the basement" guarantee

Dee you have to worry about him kidnapping you and locking you in his basement.

With me it's either i'm going to try and woo you or sell you a vehicle. I come with a "no gagging and locking you in the basement" guarantee

Um...good to know, I guess. LOL

So what you're saying is I don't even have to climb a tree to be able to get to your bedroom window/ :D

Oh Lord, here we go.

If you hear two guys brawling for sidewalk space in front of your home I think I can provide the cops with a good description of them.

Oh Lord, here we go.

If you hear two guys brawling for sidewalk space in front of your home I think I can provide the cops with a good description of them.

Don't be so sure Deb! you haven't seen me in years! I don't have the mohawk anymore and i'm about half the size I was before!

Wrong it is in the same concentrations when passing by or staying near the smoker. It's is enough to cause changes in the aorta after just 5 mins of staying around one.

If you really think this is true, you are in for a huge wake up call when you find out what gets into the air everytime you are around a car or someone cooking. You'd better stay the hell away from camp fires, perfumes, painted wall, glue, recently cleaned rooms, etc... You're talking about some serious changes to your aortas.

You may not smell it, but people who smoke generally think their cigarette butts magically disappear when they throw them on the ground. If they're above you, prepare to have your yard littered with butts.

This is a different issue and depends on the smoker. Most smokers I know will have a ash tray of some kind on their balcony.

If they're the type of people that just throw cigarette butts into the yard below, then the problem isn't them being smokers; the problem is they are jerks. In which case, I'd be prepared for much worse problems than cigarette butts.

Archived