The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] VAN Dale Weise to MTL

Strombone1

Don Taylor: So what are the canucks losing trading Weise?

Gary Valk: Well they're losing one of they're best skaters.

:D

Hahaha, just heard that too. Valk is obviously basing that on the skills tourney. I also doubt his ability to judge such things.

For the doubters.... the recent track record might be considered.

Santorelli, Richardson, Stanton.... moneyball home runs.

Dalpe has looked like a bona-fide NHL prospect recently and was a steal. Weber has been a serviceable depth blueline signing. Lain has gotten an NHL shot sooner than I expected and looks like he has staying potential. Many of us doubted re-signing Tito but he's been full value.

Pelletier and Ferriero have 73 points as the veterans signed for Utica.

This deal makes a great deal of sense at a risk that is very easy to accept.

How about the 4year $28M contracts handed out to the declining Sedins?

That move alone should get Gillis fired. Overpaying 2 old declining players for past performances is just plain stupid and not how you remain competitive in todays salary cap situation.

That move alone should get Gillis fired. Overpaying 2 old declining players for past performances is just plain stupid and not how you remain competitive in todays salary cap situation.

And what do you think they would have gotten on the open market, huh?

If we let them walk, then who is replacing them?

What was he supposed to do?

And what do you think they would have gotten on the open market, huh?

If we let them walk, then who is replacing them?

What was he supposed to do?

The Canucks need a reset of their organization so yeah letting them walk surely would not be the worst thing.

Secondly, given how fast their play has fallen off this year I really don't think they would get anymore than 2 year $10M contracts on the open market. There is no way they would get what the Canucks gave them on the open market though. You have to remember you can't sign just one which severely limits their number of suitors

You very well might be right. However I suspect Weise was the same situation as a up coming UFA. A UFA

for a UFA. I haven't seen enough of Diaz to really comment.

I think Weise has played himself into a position to get another contract. His problem in Van was they

wanted a 4th liner who had a physical edge. IMHO Weise saw himself as a top 9 player and would have went after a deal that might get him there. In one sense I find it disappointing as I don't think the 4th

line in Van gets anywhere near enough TOI. My other issue with Weise was his inconsistent play

delivering what Torts wanted. I am sure from his perspective he was playing his game. Diverging

interests. Fans should not forget that Weise had speed but also a pretty decent shot. Good luck to him.

Just for the record. Weise is not a UFA after this year he is a RFA. He obviously is in Torts doghouse though and likely wouldn't have been brought back regardless.

Overall, this trade is nothing more than a shorterm bandaid move. It has no longterm ramifications on the Canucks direction going forward.

The Canucks need a reset of their organization so yeah letting them walk surely would not be the worst thing.

Secondly, given how fast their play has fallen off this year I really don't think they would get anymore than 2 year $10M contracts on the open market. There is no way they would get what the Canucks gave them on the open market though. You have to remember you can't sign just one which severely limits their number of suitors

Given how fast their play has fallen off this past month..... Nevertheless, I'm really not surprised that some fairweatherers are doom and glooming their futures. Henrik hasn't really been fit to play in quite some time.

2 years and 10 million on the open market puts you in the crazy koolaid fantasy pool.

HAHAHAHAHA

Dude shut up.

You were just using stats the other day to say Kesler isn't worth what Mike Richards is worth.

Just be quiet, your contradictory statements are really making you look dumb.

i did nothing of the sort. the only thing i've said regarding kesler/richards is "richards got such and such in a trade. and kesler would get no more"

no stats mentioned.

The trade is pretty fair for both teams. Weise may get a bigger opportunity in Montreal. Diaz is a reasonable puck mover.

It will be interesting to see what happens if all of the Canucks' D get healthy. My guess is Alberts will be waived and demoted (and Corrado will obviously be sent back down) and then one of Diaz or Weber will be scratched.

This could, of course, be a precursor to a trade, but I'm not going to hold my breath for one.

I'm sure this may have been posted already, but if not: Look no further, Canucks fans. It looks like we may have just pulled off a better trade than we thought.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2014/2/3/5374414/the-value-of-raphael-diaz-why-trading-him-was-a-mistake

Not only is he a shot blocking machine, but

Of all defenseman to play 300 or more minutes last season, Raphael Diaz ranked third in the NHL in fewest goals against every 60 minutes of play with 1.128.

This article makes the case that he was the Canadiens' third best defenseman behind Subban and Gorges.

For the doubters.... the recent track record might be considered.

Santorelli, Richardson, Stanton.... moneyball home runs.

Dalpe has looked like a bona-fide NHL prospect recently and was a steal. Weber has been a serviceable depth blueline signing. Lain has gotten an NHL shot sooner than I expected and looks like he has staying potential. Many of us doubted re-signing Tito but he's been full value.

Pelletier and Ferriero have 73 points as the veterans signed for Utica.

This deal makes a great deal of sense at a risk that is very easy to accept.

Wow, all of these awesome deals and a few years removed from almost winning the Stanley Cup we might not even make the playoffs................How is that possible? We were almost the best team in the league, and now we made all of these awesome deals (which implies getting better) and yet we might not make the playoffs? You see how your logic doesn't quite work.

Wow, all of these awesome deals and a few years removed from almost winning the Stanley Cup we might not even make the playoffs................How is that possible? We were almost the best team in the league, and now we made all of these awesome deals (which implies getting better) and yet we might not make the playoffs? You see how your logic doesn't quite work.

it is because these are all complimentary pieces, our big guns are shooting blanks, time for new big guns.

If sedins keep this up, will not be surprised if they retire at the end of this year or next year

Traded a depth guy who was redundant on this team and didn't really play much of a role, for a depth D-man that can play 20 minutes a night and fill in for our decimated D-core.

What's there to complain about exactly?

Can you tell me what other players on the team are redundant? I would just like to hear about them before they get traded, it would add more validity to the posts that follow saying how we just got better.

Archived