The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] VAN Dale Weise to MTL

Strombone1

I'm liking this trade, we now have a surplus of D-men all of whom are serviceable NHL'ers which means a bigger trade might be on the way. Weber and Diaz could have some chemistry too playing with the Swiss in Sochi.

Good move by Gills. Everyone who commented on TSN is an idiot.....

how about his 4% shooting percentage, 2nd last among dmen with at least 5 goals?

brutally inefficient.

Well, we did start this off with one of the points being about how often he hits the net.

learn how to not constantly get turnstiled by average players in his zone. stop putting passes directly on the tape of opposition players in his zone. learn how to clear the zone. hit the net with a shot. skate faster than i can.

How often he scores isn't really a good indicator of missed shots, well at least not as good a missed shots is. I mentioned it before, but if you want to look at what the missed shots as a percentage of total shots and compare that to a similar group, then it'd be more applicable.

But for the other points (and since stats are rarely relevant I won't bother looking them up and pointing them out) I'd definitely argue he doesn't get turnstiled by average players, pass directly on the tape of the opposition players in his zone, fail to clear the zone any more than the other defenceman we have. None of our guys have been particularly good in those areas this year, with some generally poor play. Even still, I don't know if they'd be worse the median in the NHL for the most part. Giveaways and takeaways (which were mentioned earlier) along with corsi and other similar stats would give a decent indicator of that compared to other D.

But as far as skating faster than you, that's pretty hard to prove - unless perhaps we held a "meaningless" skills competition to see how he ranks (and you rank) against other defencemen who play a similar role.

Ah, from one side argument to another, and this really is a Weise/Diaz trade thread, so I should stop and get back on topic unless someone wants to provide more backup than their own opinion that will prove their assertions. If you come up with anything, feel free to make a thread on it.

Hahaha, just heard that too. Valk is obviously basing that on the skills tourney. I also doubt his ability to judge such things.

And all your years of NHL experience gives you the hockey knowledge to doubt him!?! Get off your horse bud, I may not always agree with GValk but he has a lot more room to judge than most of us here on CDC.

Good trade, but both teams aren't that great right now, so what are we talking about?

I had a 'wait, what?' moment when Valk said that Weise was one of our better skaters and forecheckers. I didn't see much in the way of big hits at all during all his time here. And his puck possession and overall skill was nil. Hey, he was waived by the Rangers for a reason.

In that light we got a decent depth defenseman (rental), which we needed, and all it took was some waiver wire garbage instead of burning picks/prospects.

Yay.

The more I learn about this trade, the more I like it. Diaz has 11 points playing the majority of his minutes with Douglas Murray. It appears that when given better teammates and better situational minutes that he can fairly productive.

Hopefully he injects some much needed puck rushing ability to the blue-line.

As someone who has seen Diaz play a lot, I'm ecstatic about this trade. For the doubters Diaz is much better than he's been given credit for. He is capable of playing a top 4 role. Here even with all our D healthy, he should be on our 3rd pairing, and definitely would be above Weber in the depth chart. He's not huge, but he's not small either. A good puck mover and playmaker. He will give a boost to this flagging offense, even 5 on 5, as he has the ability to carry the puck out and accurately make the long pass. Even if we don't end up re-signing him, getting him in exchange for Weise is a good trade

The Canucks need a reset of their organization so yeah letting them walk surely would not be the worst thing.

Secondly, given how fast their play has fallen off this year I really don't think they would get anymore than 2 year $10M contracts on the open market. There is no way they would get what the Canucks gave them on the open market though. You have to remember you can't sign just one which severely limits their number of suitors

Letting two stars walk would obviously be the worst asset management in the history of the organization.

2 years at $10M is soooo low. you have absolutely zero clue if you truly believe that. The cap is going WAY up next season, and you can bet dollars to donuts that teams would be lining up for them. What did Clarkson get last year when the cap was going down? Parise/Suter?

Given how fast their play has fallen off this past month..... Nevertheless, I'm really not surprised that some fairweatherers are doom and glooming their futures. Henrik hasn't really been fit to play in quite some time.

2 years and 10 million on the open market puts you in the crazy koolaid fantasy pool.

Thanks, someone with a brain.

And all your years of NHL experience gives you the hockey knowledge to doubt him!?! Get off your horse bud, I may not always agree with GValk but he has a lot more room to judge than most of us here on CDC.

Sarcasm dude... seriously.

He's an established top 5 Dmen in Montreal, he's already better than a 7th Dman,

Montreal's defence has just been atrocious though. Alberts would probably be an upgrade for them :)

On our (healthy) team he is a #7

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Tanev

Garrison-Stanton

Diaz

Can you tell me what other players on the team are redundant? I would just like to hear about them before they get traded, it would add more validity to the posts that follow saying how we just got better.

vcrguy has actually descended into the dust of an actual thread.

I thought all 400ish of your posts were attention seeking thread starts (not unlike the fail you recently posted in this forum). Try glimpsing the board rules before pretending to school a poster like Deniro about validity.

If you paid much attention on these boards, you'd know that there are a whole lot of threads where people discuss what they think the team should do, what positions they think need to be upgraded, what players they are for or against moving, and who they think should be added to the roster. Imagine that. And remarkably, many of those discussions have actually included Dale Weise - some posters thinking he's a superstar that should be commanding third line minutes, some thinking he's an average fourth liner, some thinking the Canucks need to move him and upgrade.

Your protest about the validity of other posters is entertaining though - by virtue of the audacity.

So we traded someone who's been on the rumour mill for a while in order to fill a position of current need. He may not stick around, but we've got injuries on the back end and a stopgap certainly doesn't hurt. To top it off we've opened a slot in the bottom six for our young guys to potentially fill, not a bad thing.

A pretty shrewd move by Gillis I'd say.

Breaking_Header.jpg

Vancouver Canucks @VanCanucks

#Canucks have acquired defenceman Raphael Diaz from Montreal in exchange for Dale Weise. Formal announcement to follow.

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun

Habs and Canucks trade: Diaz for Weise. A little brawn for the Canadiens, while Van gets puck-moving D

Harrison Mooney @HarrisonMooney

Diaz is a righty, which solves a big problem for the Canucks right now.

Nice, I'd rather have Diaz, Weiss was pretty useless here. Also opens up a roster spot for Schroeder and our injured players.

Seriously? Why....Diaz is so small and Weise while kind of a speedbag at times was a 4th line player with upside.

Uggghhhh queue 14 pages of how this is our reset, Bold moves comments and Gillis needing to be fired.

Weise is garbage, are you kidding me? Weise is a dime a dozen player that any team can pick up on the waiver wire. The fact that we got a return for Weise is amazing. I thought if Weise was waived, no one would pick him up. Plus we need a puck moving D-man especially with the loss of Bieksa. So Gillis did great here, so stop complaining.

Letting two stars walk would obviously be the worst asset management in the history of the organization.

2 years at $10M is soooo low. you have absolutely zero clue if you truly believe that. The cap is going WAY up next season, and you can bet dollars to donuts that teams would be lining up for them. What did Clarkson get last year when the cap was going down? Parise/Suter?

Thanks, someone with a brain.

Sarcasm dude... seriously.

The falling C$ likely means it won't go up as much as previously thought.

Granted players often get overpaid as UFA's like Clarkson but usually the players that get overpaid are the ones in their late 20's who are still in their prime, including all the ones you mentioned. Aging players rarely get big contracts, Also, the Sedins are a very unique situation in that I don't think any team would be interested in signing just one of them and they likely wouldn't want to play apart either.

Given they must come as a package it really limits the number of suitors who could afford to take on two big contracts at once. Add to the fact they are both having off years and didn't play that well last year either and I really don't think they would be that hot of a commodity as UFA's.

Look at Lecavalier last year. He is the same age as the Sedins and also seems to be declining. He got a 5 year $22M contract that sees his salary decline as it goes along. He also was one year younger when he signed that contract than the Sedins will be when they would have hit UFA status after this season. So after this season Vinny will be nearly the same age and essentially have a 4 years left on his contract at total of $16M. That would certainly be much more reasonable than what the Sedins are getting.

You can insult me all you want but do you really think a pair of 34 year old players not in the top 50 in NHL scoring that must be signed as a duo would get 4 year $28M each as UFA's? Sorry but not even close. Gillis made a huge mistake in not letting the Sedins play out this season before discussing contract.

He's an established top 5 Dmen in Montreal, he's already better than a 7th Dman,

Well, who would he supplant when our line up is healthy?

Obviously a trade is coming, but humor me.

Hamhuis, Edler, Garrison, Bieksa, Tanev, Stanton.

It would be a shame to have traded just to push Stanton out of the lineup.

Surely another trade is coming.

As someone who has seen Diaz play a lot, I'm ecstatic about this trade. For the doubters Diaz is much better than he's been given credit for. He is capable of playing a top 4 role. Here even with all our D healthy, he should be on our 3rd pairing, and definitely would be above Weber in the depth chart. He's not huge, but he's not small either. A good puck mover and playmaker. He will give a boost to this flagging offense, even 5 on 5, as he has the ability to carry the puck out and accurately make the long pass. Even if we don't end up re-signing him, getting him in exchange for Weise is a good trade

this trade reminds me a lot of the ehrhoff trade.

we give up pretty much nothing to acquire him, an underrated, smaller, puck moving, offensive d man, not very physical...

hopefully it works out!

if he turns into anything close to 70% of what Ehrhoff did to our PP and Edler.. I'd be very happy

vcrguy has actually descended into the dust of an actual thread.

I thought all 400ish of your posts were attention seeking thread starts (not unlike the fail you recently posted in this forum). Try glimpsing the board rules before pretending to school a poster like Deniro about validity.

If you paid much attention on these boards, you'd know that there are a whole lot of threads where people discuss what they think the team should do, what positions they think need to be upgraded, what players they are for or against moving, and who they think should be added to the roster. Imagine that. And remarkably, many of those discussions have actually included Dale Weise - some posters thinking he's a superstar that should be commanding third line minutes, some thinking he's an average fourth liner, some thinking the Canucks need to move him and upgrade.

Your protest about the validity of other posters is entertaining though - by virtue of the audacity.

He asked me earlier and I answered him with no response back. I don't know why I even responded to Yetes second account but why the hell would anybody else do the same.

Not sure how a small, soft, offensive defenseman will fare in the Pacific. I'm guessing he can't handle the forwards down low on the Kings, Sharks, Ducks and Blues.

A good return for a fourth liner but a far cry from what this team needs to be better.

Archived