The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] VAN Dale Weise to MTL

Strombone1

Thanx for posting!

From the article;

Of all defenseman to play 300 or more minutes last season, Raphael Diaz ranked third in the NHL in fewest goals against every 60 minutes of play with 1.128. This season that number has risen to 1.719, but remains the best mark on the Canadiens by a significant margin.

Oh no. Here we thought we were getting a pmd, and it turns out he may just be another redundant two way blueliner....(Sorry jk - but had to).

Anyway, here's hoping/betting that Surfer is happy with this deal.

[btw - that article points out that Diaz played with Gorges for the most part last seaon - here is some evidence to back that up - http://hockey.dobber...mes=2012-2013:R - whereas he's been saddled with Murray this year - which can explain a lot of the increase g/60, and reduction in offensive production. His underlying numbers, however, have nevertheless improved, which may in fact evidence that his focus on improving his defensive play has been successful].

None of this of course is a guarantee that he'll succeed in Vancouver, but as far as identifying a moneyball steal is concerned, and taking an intelligent and calculated risk - this is a really well targetted one imo.

Im not sure if it's just this generation of fans and media, perhaps driven by EA Sports' NHL series dividing defensemen into offensive or defensive categories, but the average fan has no clue what they're talking about when they talk about defense.

In fact, he's better defensively than almost every player on the Montreal Canadiens, including the guy Marc Bergevin handed a $4.1M/year extension to before he laced up a skate this season.

Of all defenseman to play 300 or more minutes last season, Raphael Diaz ranked third in the NHL in fewest goals against every 60 minutes of play with 1.128. This season that number has risen to 1.719, but remains the best mark on the Canadiens by a significant margin.

-couldn't have said it better myself

This is a solid bargain trade for somebody more useful to the team then Weise was so i like it.

The fans who think Weise isn't worthy of ice time on a playoff team are correct.

Weise took far too many stupid penalties and made a lot of costly mistakes like not getting pucks out, missing passes and icing the puck in limited ice time.

The fact that Weise never had the heart to engage in fights when needed and never faired very well when basically forced to fight makes getting rid of him all the more easy.

This is also good depth for a future trade of Edler for a scoring forward when the defense gets healthy after the olympic break maybe ROR.

Prob a stupid question, who is ROR? always see that name on CDC...

Cheers,

Spenny

Good deal. Weise was redundant on this team and seemed to be sitting in the press box more often lately.

I posted on here months ago that Weise was done once Torts got hired. Now its happened. He drove him out of NYR and now Van.

Just for the record though, what other players on the team are redundant? I'd rather hear about them in advance vs. justifying small trades in the future with this catch phrase.............so which other players are redundant?

Thanks to Dale Weise for his service here. Not the most talented grinder; yet I believe he was a well-liked bloke who'd step up for teammates. In assisting guys like Moen & Prust, bet he'll fit in nicely with Mtl(need size/grit).

Like this trade from our POV, however. Let's hope Diaz can fit in smoothly.

If Diaz is good here he will likely be re signed. So it could actually help the team in the long run. We're giving up a REDUNDANT 4th liner for a d-man that brings another aspect to the game that the Canucks don't currently have, which is a true PMD.

Have you watched Diaz much? Any of you? Probably not, right? Why did Montreal shop him? Because he was good? Real good? (As in Weise good?) You get what you pay for. A PMD, of Weise-like calibre, has this lot shouting praises. To each their own.

Have you watched Diaz much? Any of you? Probably not, right? Why did Montreal shop him? Because he was good? Real good? (As in Weise good?) You get what you pay for. A PMD, of Weise-like calibre, has this lot shouting praises. To each their own.

I've watched both players (Diaz a fair bit for how much he's played), you obviously haven't but go on keep comparing them based on zero knowledge.

Yes!! Glad Weiuseless got traded!

I thought the most we would get for him would be a 6th or 7th round pick, but I am glad we are getting a player back. Diaz is a pretty decent player, I remember he was playing pretty well for the Canadiens in the playoffs a couple seasons back.

I'm just glad that Dale Weise is gone, that guy is dissapointing for what his role is.

Diaz is listed at 5'11" and 197lbs. Pretty solid. Karlsson is 6'0" and 180lbs.

IF he is a good puck mover, helping this team exit the d zone and can set up guys for the shot, size should not be an issue.

We play MTL on this road trip. I wonder who Weise fights.........it's almost a guarantee he fights someone. Maybe he'll beat up Diaz.

Yes. I watch Montreal whenever they're on CBC, which is a lot. Diaz is a good player that was misused in Montreal. He hasn't played since early January but was good when they needed him to be. His only downside is his physicality which he has none of.

Montreal shopped him because they have a young guy, Beaulieu, who is ready to make the step to the NHL and take his place. Beaulieu is a better player there for them and they already have Bouillon there at #7 so Diaz isn't a huge loss for them. They needed size and they got it and the Canucks needed PP help and they got it. Diaz can also block shots and had the least goals against/60 games last year I'm pretty sure and he was best on Montreal this year.

Diaz is a much better hockey player than Weise that can play 20+ minutes per night opposed to Weise's 8 minutes per night, lol.

For the doubters.... the recent track record might be considered.

Santorelli, Richardson, Stanton.... moneyball home runs.

Dalpe has looked like a bona-fide NHL prospect recently and was a steal. Weber has been a serviceable depth blueline signing. Lain has gotten an NHL shot sooner than I expected and looks like he has staying potential. Many of us doubted re-signing Tito but he's been full value.

Pelletier and Ferriero have 73 points as the veterans signed for Utica.

This deal makes a great deal of sense at a risk that is very easy to accept.

Yes. I watch Montreal whenever they're on CBC, which is a lot. Diaz is a good player that was misused in Montreal. He hasn't played since early January but was good when they needed him to be. His only downside is his physicality which he has none of.

Montreal shopped him because they have a young guy, Beaulieu, who is ready to make the step to the NHL and take his place. Beaulieu is a better player there for them and they already have Bouillon there at #7 so Diaz isn't a huge loss for them. They needed size and they got it and the Canucks needed PP help and they got it. Diaz can also block shots and had the least goals against/60 games last year I'm pretty sure and he was best on Montreal this year.

Diaz is a much better hockey player than Weise that can play 20+ minutes per night opposed to Weise's 8 minutes per night, lol.

NICE AVATAR

hehehehehe

just from the Canuck trades

Luongo

Ehrhoff

Lapierre

Higgins

all trades where Canucks gave very little value to get great returns you can say cap dump or whatever excuse bottom line those are 4 trades from just recent Canucks trades now take a look around the league and you can probably see the same thing happening

not saying the Canucks win this trade instantly but value isn't always equal in trades

Archived