The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is there an age too old to start playing hockey?

Malaria

I'm 21 and I've never played a game of ice hockey in my life. I've played street hockey and I can skate averagely and I'd love to take up hockey but I don't know where to begin or if it's even plausible at my age. Any suggestions would be great!

I've always wondered this as well. Growing up it was always between soccer and hockey for me, but seeing as I grew up in a family where money was tight, soccer was the easy choice (save my parents the trouble). I played ball hockey and street hockey my whole life and always had ice hockey coaches trying to get me on their teams, but by then my skating was average at best and I'd gotten way more into soccer and decided to put all my eggs in one basket. Who knows if soccer doesn't work out, maybe I'll try and take the Burrows route *sarcasm* :P

Any one have any experience with this?

A woman I played with is 45 and just picked up a stick for the first time last year

You can take adult skating lessons or go to stick and puck until you're ready to join a league. Try the Adult Safe Hockey League. When you join they'll put you in a division where you're among a similar skill level of players. There's no feeling like playing hockey. Go for it!

I play in a league where they actually have a "beginner" level for people who've never played before. They actually show you how to put the equipment on and everything. Because of this, I've seen people in their 50s and 60s pick up a stick and play a few years (the oldest player I've seen was in his early 80s.)

As already stated, look for a league (or group) that has something along those lines (beginner friendly) and have at it!

It's never to late to start playing the greatest sport of all-time (some bias might be involved in that judgement).

I'd advise dropping in a casual game wherever you can.

And a tip - If everyone acts like d-bags and never pass the puck/ball to you, just learn how to play without the puck. That's what I did for years and now the people I play with hate playing against me because I was able to hone my defensive game so well.

I'am worried I would get a heartattack if I played lol, but I guess all the rinks have defibrillators(sp?) now so I should be good to go. Not sure how the thunderlungs would react. Work pays $500/yr. for sport memberships that I usually use for the gym(i never go) but I would love to use it for hockey.

What would be a ballpark cost for all the equipment you would need? Helmet, shoulder pads, chest thingy, pants, shin guards, skates, a stick, and a mouthguard? And what are the average membership costs for a year?

I knew a guy a few years back who started playing 2-3 times per week after never even knowing how to skate. After 2 seasons he started popping a few goals. After five, he was actually pretty good.

The key to improving is getting on the ice more than once or twice a week and picking one something to improve at a time. Maybe it's pivots first and then saucer passes and then your backhand and just keep developing, practice them in warmups etc.

I'm 21 as well, and although this year is incredibly busy for me I will be taking skating lessons and practicing that skill in preparation for next year when I will have the time to sign up for an adult beginner hockey program I've been looking at.

Like any skill hockey gets harder to learn as you age. Hockey is one of the most difficult sports to play. If you're starting at 21, you obviously won't be making the show or playing competitively, but you can still be good enough to have fun on a beer league team.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 21 and I've never played a game of ice hockey in my life. I've played street hockey and I can skate averagely and I'd love to take up hockey but I don't know where to begin or if it's even plausible at my age. Any suggestions would be great!

never, still very young to have fun...enjoy!

Archived