The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Sedins : Trade them (Rebuild) or get them a bonafide 1st liner ?

Cold Hard Truth

There is no doubt that the Sedins extension is starting to look suspect, especially Daniel.

Many of us worried that 7Mx4yrs was too much money, too much term, for declining stars that couldn't get it done in their primes.

In their defence, the Sedins have never had a bonafide winger,

Nonis, Gillis gave them an ECHL Ball hockey player who has now run its course.

Do you trade the Twins now for the rebuild or do you go get them a bonafide winger (skilled size) ?

if so , who ?

Don't trade them. Our team will be a contender when the Sedins become our 2nd line. What we need is our kids to mature and the addition of a a bonafide top 6 scorer to complete the top line with Kesler. There is no way the Sedins performance will drop off like Jonathan Cheechoo, we can expect more in the coming years from them. Gillis must make some changes though...and now.

Been saying this for a few years now…the canucks will never win the cup with the Sedins as their 1st liners. They have a lot of peoples respect and rightfully have earned it but they aren't the kind of players that are dynamic enough to win you a cup. Not enough speed and not enough grit

Been saying this for a few years now…the canucks will never win the cup with the Sedins as their 1st liners. They have a lot of peoples respect and rightfully have earned it but they aren't the kind of players that are dynamic enough to win you a cup. Not enough speed and not enough grit

i agree,Animals win you cups, nice guys don't.

Have any of you ever thought thar maybe they are just having an off year? It happens, new system, new coach, new division, playing hurt, etc.

You can say I wear rose coloured glasses, but it's better than this depressing negativity. It may not happen this year and I agree their play as of late has been horrendous, but I believe they will turn it around at some point.

The twins are not "done."

Have any of you ever thought thar maybe they are just having an off year? It happens, new system, new coach, new division, playing hurt, etc.

You can say I wear rose coloured glasses, but it's better than this depressing negativity. It may not happen this year and I agree their play as of late has been horrendous, but I believe they will turn it around at some point.

The twins are not "done."

Henrik might not be but Daniel looks finished. Ever since the Duncan Keith elbow.7 million a year for the next 4 years is going to hurt us big time vis a vis Daniel.Does Henrik get offended if Daniel gets moved / bought out ?

A ball hockey player with 150 goals in the NHL, and despite repeated very serious injuries this season, nevertheless, as usual, has arguably the best underlying numbers on the team.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?s=30&f1=2013_s&f2=5v5&f5=VAN&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

Note whose right there with him, despite injuries of their own, a revolving door of linemates, unrealistic work load, penalty killing responsibilities, and a hobbled blueline that also plays a huge role in their success and/or lack thereof.

If Burrows is to lose his job on the Sedins wing, it's because he's not healthy enough - certainly not because he's not worthy.

It's in vogue on CDC to expect that players who are hobbled produce as if they're in iron-man mode. I think CDC should collectively get the kcuf off the Sedins' and Burrows' backs.

No the twins are not done at all. But what does concern me is that there is no one in the organization that will be ready to take over as the 1st line within 2 years

If I had my choice I'd do a medium rebuild. Keep the Sedins, kassian, hamhuis, Bieksa and Tanev. Everyone else would be on the block. Doesn't mean I'd trade them all but if a trade would make sense then I'd do it.

The team needs youth. Horvat and shinkaruk are steps in the right direction. As long as gillis doesn't trade picks then I'm ok with getting rid of half the team

Mor elike get Kesler a bonafide 1st liner and make the sedin our 2nd line.

When you think about it, Kesler have been our 2nd line center at 5M for the past 3-4 years. With the cap increasing over 70M next year and potentially between 75-80 when the Sedin's contracts expires...good teams will have 7M+ player on their 2nd line and 8-9M+ on their 1st.

P.S. not saying Kesler should be paid 8-9M$ his next contract.

Trade them before going out and getting them a winger. You never know if that new winger will have good chemistry with them anyways and I honestly believe they are damaged goods at this point. I wouldnt expect to get much in return for them either as im sure other gms know they wont lead you to a cup. They are a gimmicky pair who were able to produce with the right linemate for a few years that can easily be shut down with physical play and intimidation. 12 million $ per year for this kind of rapidly declining combo isnt exactly high on peoples lists.

Realistically.the best thing for us is.if they retire at the end of this season and go play in sweden. If im mg i might have a talk with them and politely tell them we are going to rebuild and why dont you just.retire now as canucks. Otherwise were gonna start healthy scratching you and maybe put.you on waivers. Retire with dignity now please.

Mor elike get Kesler a bonafide 1st liner and make the sedin our 2nd line.

When you think about it, Kesler have been our 2nd line center at 5M for the past 3-4 years. With the cap increasing over 70M next year and potentially between 75-80 when the Sedin's contracts expires...good teams will have 7M+ player on their 2nd line and 8-9M+ on their 1st.

P.S. not saying Kesler should be paid 8-9M$ his next contract.

When will people stop drinking the kesler love koolaid??? The guy had had 1 year out of 10 where he has scored more than 26 goals. He had 1 dominant playoff series out of at least 12.

He's not a 1st line C ....get over it

We are probably done this year so a high pick would be nice.

For next year all we need is for 3 of these guys to make the jump;

Horvat, Shinkaruk, Fox, Gaunce, Grenier or Jensen.

Schroeder looks like he is becoming a very useful player and will be better next year.

We do not need a rebuild, maybe one more veteran for next year, forget about this one....

Archived