The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2014 NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Assuming we come in somewhere around 8th, and both Virtanen and Ehlers are available, I'd lean towards Ehlers although he's high-risk/high-reward. While I've only seen highlight packages and therefore don't know as much as some people will, Ehlers has game-breaking speed and elusiveness combined with a lethal shot. This guy has Bure upside but could bust if he can't handle the physicality of NHL play. Virtanen would be fine, but looks like he's skating in mud by comparison and we have already have several players with his skill set (size and a decent shot) in the system now. I'd rather try to hit a home run with Ehlers, even if he's less of a sure thing.

Just a 1st round note, you'll have to wait until the draft obviously but the Islanders may end up choosing this year to give their 1st to Buffalo from the Vanek deal. I highly doubt they'll defer the pick to next year with McDavid and Eichel being eligible. Buffalo may end up drafting twice in the top 5 this year...

Just a 1st round note, you'll have to wait until the draft obviously but the Islanders may end up choosing this year to give their 1st to Buffalo from the Vanek deal. I highly doubt they'll defer the pick to next year with McDavid and Eichel being eligible. Buffalo may end up drafting twice in the top 5 this year...

Yeah, I figured I'd wait until they make the official decision to put it in the notes

What's people's take on Nikolaj Ehlers here?

He's a smaller forward at 5'11'', 165lbs, but plays with an edge. He played in a mens league before coming to the QMJHL and has dominated this season with the Mooseheads. He apparently plays on his off-wing and has a crazy wrist shot. In 63 games played, he finished this season with 49g, 55a, 104pts and a +65 rating with Halifax.

If he was still available when the Canucks were picking would you want Gillis to take a shot at him? Or is the general consensus here to take a larger forward to match up to the top Pacific Division teams?

What's people's take on Nikolaj Ehlers here?

He's a smaller forward at 5'11'', 165lbs, but plays with an edge. He played in a mens league before coming to the QMJHL and has dominated this season with the Mooseheads. He apparently plays on his off-wing and has a crazy wrist shot. In 63 games played, he finished this season with 49g, 55a, 104pts and a +65 rating with Halifax.

If he was still available when the Canucks were picking would you want Gillis to take a shot at him? Or is the general consensus here to take a larger forward to match up to the top Pacific Division teams?

Depends who is available and where we pick, but I would not be upset with selecting Ehlers he has complete nhl game breaking potential. He will need to gain some weight to at least 180 and he needs to work on his defensive game a bit more, but like most offensive youngsters they all do.

I would love picking Virtanen though, I really do not understand the discrepancies in his rankings they are all over the place. But when I look at him I see just RAW potential and talent, a physical hockey toolhouse of a prospect, He has the size the wheels the shot the moves,finds the soft spots, the only thing I would think he needs to work on is his overall hockey IQ, vision and defensive play. The fact for the kid is he is a younger prospect, he still has room to grow, he has a shot and speed that most players can never achieve, I would be more than disappointed if Virtanen was available and we selected a : Kempe, McCann, Kapanen, Karlsson, Hosang, fabbri, barbashev etc

If it came down to Ehlers or Virtanen I would prefer Virtanen, just for the team need, but I wouldnt be outraged.

When it comes to Perlini/Ritchie/Virtanen

My opinions are ever changing, as no way will all 3 of them turn out to reach their potential, and each three brings different intangibles. All three have NHL level shots, size and skating. I am not sure who will turn out to be the best though, and I hope our scouts crystal balls are ready this summer, will be a very interesting draft, think its quite a crapshoot with potential homeruns and busts.

Archived