The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Oilers and Kings Close on Gagner Deal

According to capgeek, Clifford for Gagner straight up is cap compliant.

But, I think LA will want Edmonton to retain some salary so they can fit other acquisitions under the cap.

Like this deal for the Oilers if they can get a pick and/or a d-man back with Clifford.

Kings already have Kopitar, Richards, and Stoll. Why would they want another centre? They should try and get a winger.

Just like I don't get why the Oilers would target Clifford instead of some help on defence. And who would replace Gagner in their top 6, Boyd Gordon? I don't see the point in moving him.

The Edmonton Oilers could be ready to deal.

TSN Hockey Insiders Pierre LeBrun and Bob McKenzie both reported Thursday that there have been ongoing trade discussions between the Oilers and Los Angeles Kings over forward Sam Gagner.

The struggling Kings are desperate for some offensive punch and have been exploring trade options to acquire some help.

One of the names in play as to who might be involved on the Kings' end - according to McKenzie - is left winger Kyle Clifford.

What's notable in this potential deal is that neither player is a pending free agent. Gagner, 24, is in the first year of a three-year deal he signed last summer with an annual salary of $4.8 million.

Clifford, 23, has one year remaining on a two-year deal worth $1.075 million per season. He is a restricted free agent at the end of next season. Due to the Kings' salary cap constraints, speculation is that the Oilers may be forced to retain some salary.

In 45 games this season, Gagner has six goals and 17 assists. Clifford has five points (three goals and two assists) in 48 games played.

Kings already have Kopitar, Richards, and Stoll. Why would they want another centre? They should try and get a winger.

Just like I don't get why the Oilers would target Clifford instead of some help on defence. And who would replace Gagner in their top 6, Boyd Gordon? I don't see the point in moving him.

Clifford is a "Milan Lucic type player" that McTavish has been targeting...

Remember Gillis wanted Clifford as well but got Kassian instead.

Clifford is a 4th line grinder with 5 points in 48 games...Gagner is 40-50 point player....am I missing something here?

I'm assuming something is going to be added to the deal.

Matt Greene going back to Edmonton?

Would definitely make the Oilers a lot tougher adding those 2 players.

According to capgeek, Clifford for Gagner straight up is cap compliant.

But, I think LA will want Edmonton to retain some salary so they can fit other acquisitions under the cap.

Like this deal for the Oilers if they can get a pick and/or a d-man back with Clifford.

If the oilers have to retain cap (that would be for 3 more years too) they had better get Clifford a good young D man AND a late first.

Clifford is a 4th line grinder with 5 points in 48 games...Gagner is 40-50 point player....am I missing something here?

But tougher is not what they need. They need skilled players of size on their top 6 as well as 3 more top 4 D men and then to round out their bottom 6. No point having a 3rd and 4th line of talentless bruisers if you cannot have a solid top 6 worth the name.

As well I agree, something more HAS to be added because gagner is worth a fair but more than just Clifford

Clifford plays on the third line and is basically a more physical, better defensively, and less skilled version of Kassian.

Having an off year this year but he can still develop into a solid 2nd/3rd powerforward, sorta like Clarkson.

This could be bad for the division if LA gets good at scoring too. Jeez.

Oh, and for the love of God mods, start deleting the pissing and moaning about Eklund posts in all Eklund threads. Any of you who do it, f-off, go post your tedious poo in a WoW forum.

Clifford plays on the third line and is basically a more physical, better defensively, and less skilled version of Kassian.

Having an off year this year but he can still develop into a solid 2nd/3rd powerforward, sorta like Clarkson.

Off year? Lol....

Clifford barely put up a PPG in his final year with Barrie.

His career high in the NHL is 14 points (was on pace for 24 in the shortened season).

He is a solid 4th liner on a contender, with POSSIBLY 3rd line potential. Nothing more. He is already 23.

Part of me really hopes the Kings do this...

Me too, I think every coach loves matching up against Gangner - soft, not great defensively and only really good for 40-50 points a year unless matched up with linemates where he has insane chemistry

I think LA would become less difficult to play against with him in the lineup as their 2C - the rest of their team likes to grind, ganger hates that. Grinding it out is what makes LA so hard to play against ,they are big and great defensively - ganger is none of these.

Off year? Lol....

Clifford barely put up a PPG in his final year with Barrie.

His career high in the NHL is 14 points (was on pace for 24 in the shortened season).

He is a solid 4th liner on a contender, with POSSIBLY 3rd line potential. Nothing more. He is already 23.

He's already on the third line and played parts of the season on the second line last year with Richards and Carter and was off to a great start.

Very inconsistent, like Kassian.

I may have been a bit too generous when I said 2nd line potential, but

I honestly think he can be a fringe 2nd line/solid 3rd line player with 40 point (at most) upside.

Archived