The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sochi Olympics 2014! Official "Olympic Discussion" thread.

PlayStation

Which event are you most looking forward to! (Other than Hockey.)  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey mate it's only dogs ,for the Sydney Olympics the homeless were told to GTF outa town , cannot have them spoiling the view !

IF you think stray dogs are an embarrassment, you haven't seen nothing yet.

BfmfjoTCMAAMPy0.jpg

Thats how water looks like in one of the hotels at Sochi, Russia near the Olympic park.

Their whole lack of preparation is embarrassing enough.

here is the link: http://www.cbc.ca/newsblogs/yourcommunity/2014/02/sochi-olympics-reporters-tweet-hilarious-gross-hotel-photos.html?cmp=fbtl

All the reporters around the world are showing how Sochi is "prepared" for the Olympics.

BfrnyYRCIAAFZUc.jpg

samir mezrahi ✔ @samirFollow

Just arrived at Sochi, I could have sworn my hotel room looked different online

Bfnep-rIEAAlan-.jpg

Harry Reekie @HarryCNNFollow

This is the one hotel room @Sochi2014 have given us so far. Shambles. #cnnsochi

BffCumJCUAAhTHn.jpg

Simon Stanleigh @Stanleigh77Follow

#sochi good news , I have Internet , bad news, it's dangling from the ceiling in my room...

4 canadians qualified for ladies moguls

1 20 1 USA Hannah KEARNEY 23.05 Q

2 27 3 CAN Chloe DUFOUR-LAPOINTE 22.64 Q

3 19 2 CAN Justine DUFOUR-LAPOINTE 22.28 Q

4 2 7 USA Eliza OUTTRIM 21.51 Q

5 25 18 FRA Perrine LAFFONT 21.34 Q

6 14 6 KAZ Yulia GALYSHEVA 21.17 Q

7 22 12 JPN Aiko UEMURA 21.01 Q

8 6 5 CAN Maxime DUFOUR-LAPOINTE 20.88 Q

9 10 30 CAN Audrey ROBICHAUD 20.61 Q

10 11 15 RUS Regina RAKHIMOVA 20.48 Q

There has been lots of contraversy surrounding the slopestyle course , on monday Torstien Horgmo crashed and broke his collarbone practicing on the course , many of the riders are complaining about the steepness of the take-offs and landings on the jumps , Sean White has pulled out of the event, will be interesting to see what happens from here on in.

I am really stoked to see that a young Aussie Snowboarder Belle Brockoff is speaking out about Russian treatment of gays and Lesbians. Belles Family has a long association with skiing and Mt. Hotham in Australia one of the runs at Mt.hotham is named after her great grandmother and the hut where i met so many of my friends over the years is named after her great Aunt, i skiied a bit with her mum in the 90s and she was quite a successful ski- racer here in AUS.

While i believe that our athletes should be at the games i also believe they should speak out against injustice , i am really happy that a young Australian who has strong ties to my home {resort } has the courage to do this.

looks like canadian will be among the favorites to medal. their loss, our gain

From Tsn: Max Parrot posted the day's best score, a 97.50 in his second run.

4 canadians qualified for ladies moguls

1 20 1 USA Hannah KEARNEY 23.05 Q

2 27 3 CAN Chloe DUFOUR-LAPOINTE 22.64 Q

3 19 2 CAN Justine DUFOUR-LAPOINTE 22.28 Q

4 2 7 USA Eliza OUTTRIM 21.51 Q

5 25 18 FRA Perrine LAFFONT 21.34 Q

6 14 6 KAZ Yulia GALYSHEVA 21.17 Q

7 22 12 JPN Aiko UEMURA 21.01 Q

8 6 5 CAN Maxime DUFOUR-LAPOINTE 20.88 Q

9 10 30 CAN Audrey ROBICHAUD 20.61 Q

10 11 15 RUS Regina RAKHIMOVA 20.48 Q

Are the 3 Dufour-Lapointe girls sisters? Or am I missing something here regarding their names?

Are the 3 Dufour-Lapointe girls sisters? Or am I missing something here regarding their names?

yes they are. don't know much more than that, but that's an awesome family story when this is all said and done. Hope at least one of them medals. The US lady Hannah beat Jen Heil last time in 2010 for gold, and she is still the favorite.

http://www.tsn.ca/olympics/story/?id=443130

dufour-lapointesisters_3916-430x298.jpg

Dmitry Chernyshenko said 65 heads of state and government and international organizations are expected to attend Russia's first Winter Olympics.

He says it's a record for Winter Games and three times the number of leaders who attended the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver.

A number of top world leaders won't be at the Olympics, however, including:

• Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper.
  • U.S. President Barack Obama.
  • French President Francois Hollande.
  • British Prime Minister David Cameron.

As well, neither German Chancellor Angela Merkel nor German President Joachim Gauck, who serves a largely ceremonial role in the German government's structure, is expected to attend the Sochi Olympics.

The Games come amid Western criticism of Russia's record on human rights and its law banning gay "propaganda" among minors.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/sochi-olympic-events-begin-as-security-concerns-grow-1.2525302

Kind of shows how relevant Canada is to the world.

just politics as usual. all those want to have good relationships with russia go. those that dont care, stay. how predictable.

Well, then it seems like Canada doesn't really have that good or strong of a relationship with most countries in the world aside from US, Israel and some European countries. Although since we have Stephen Harper, I kind of understand.

perfect for socialized housing once this is over.

I wonder where that $51 billion went....right to the pockets of the corrupt officials.

I heard in an interview with I believe John Furlong that there are reports Putin gave contracts to his buddies so the costs may be far from what was actually spent on the games, and what was pocketed.

Archived