The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

re-thinking the idea of buying out Booth

brian42

Let me start by saying that I wanted the Canucks to buy out booth last offseason and I still think it would be a good move to buy him out.

The reason I would re-think the common opinion that it would be a good idea to buy out Booth is simply because I think buying out Burrows would be a much better idea. The Canucks only have 1 compliance buy out left which can only be used this offseason.

I realize Burrows has been injured & could easily pick up his game a notch or 2 but he is turning 33 in April and he'd need to pick it up more than a notch or two to justify 3 more years with a 4.5 million cap hit contract.

Booth GP-42, G-5, P-12 hits 69 .29 PPG 1 years @ 4.25 Age 29

Burrows GP-26, G-0, P-4 hits 44 .15 PPG 3 years @ 4.5 Age 32

More importantly then the stats is the amount of years left on the contract! If the Canucks re-set then they would only have to deal with overpaying Booth for 1 year Vs. 3 years for Burrows.

Even if Burrows would have a slightly better year than Booth next year I still think this would be the better choice.

In a perfect world MG would trade Burrows and buy out Booth but with Burrow's lack of production & his contract plus his no trade i doubt MG would find any takers

Thoughts?

Burrows holds more trade value than Booth. Come trade deadline contending teams would love to have a guy like Burrows on their team for a deep playoff run. He could fetch us a decent return even with his poor play this season i.e Ryan Clowe and Dustin Penner a couple years ago to L.A. Booth couldn't get us a pile of pucks.

There's no chance management will buyout Burrows. I think if he continues to this dreadful crap the whole season, it should be explored.

That's the problem with this organization, most, if not all decisions are based on sentimental value. As soon as management starts treating the team like a business, the sooner we'll see improvement.

Burrows holds more trade value than Booth. Come trade deadline contending teams would love to have a guy like Burrows on their team for a deep playoff run. He could fetch us a decent return even with his poor play this season i.e Ryan Clowe and Dustin Penner a couple years ago to L.A. Booth couldn't get us a pile of pucks.

I agree that Burrows is more tradable for the same reasons you are saying. If the Canucks could trade him i think it would be a big mistake not to. However in a deal like the Ryan Clowe trade the rangers didn't take on a much risk because Clowe was a UFA.

That's the problem with this organization, most, if not all decisions are based on sentimental value. As soon as management starts treating the team like a business, the sooner we'll see improvement.

Spot on. You see it in the way some fans post too. The idea of trading the Sedins illicits this outpouring of anger as if one is betraying blood ties

This mentality is poisonous. The players that give the team the best chance to win should be whose considered. Nothing else should factor in.

Nope.

Burrows is like family.

Booth is like that weird Uncle everyone has to get drunk in order to talk to them as Thanksgiving.

Hate to break it to you but the Canucks are a business. Emotional attachment to a player doesn't bring a championship any closer. Just mediocrity.

I've also thought about this recently, but just like the previous posters have stated (I especially like the one referring to Booth as the weird uncle), Burrows is La Familia.

He's hands down my favorite canuck just on a human level (honorable mention to Bieksa). I know him and Kess were mouthy their 1st couple years but IMO, it's unfair the rep Burrows has around the league. He probably should have kept his mouth shut about that ref a few years back...that has really haunted him. Then there's the glove biting thing against Boston and Ron McLean's little CBC rant.

But Canucks fans, who see interviews and behind the scenes footage of Burrows, see the real Burrows and he comes across like a really good person and someone that wants to see others do well.

A fave of mine:

Burrows & Bieksa interview eachother

Archived