The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Subway Removing 'Shoe Rubber' Chemical From Bread

hsedin33

http://www.huffingto..._n_4739643.html

Subway Removing 'Shoe Rubber' Chemical From Bread

n-SUBWAY-BREAD-large570.jpg

NEW YORK (AP) — Subway says it's in the process of removing a chemical from its bread as part of an ongoing effort to improve its recipes.

The announcement comes after a popular food blogger launched a petition this week asking the sandwich chain to stop using the ingredient, called azodicarbonamide. A representative for Subway says the change was underway before the petition was launched, but did not immediately provide details on when it started or when it would be complete.

"The complete conversion to have this product out of the bread will be done soon," Subway said in a statement, without providing further details.

Vani Hari, who runs FoodBabe.com, has targeted other food companies including Kraft and Chick-fil-A for the chemicals in their products.

In the latest petition targeting Subway, Hari noted that the azodicarbonamide used in its bread "as a bleaching agent" is also used to make yoga mats and shoe rubber. The petition noted that Subway doesn't use the ingredient in its breads in Europe, Australia or other parts of the world.

Although the ingredient is used in other food products, Hari said she focused on Subway because of the healthy image it tries to project. Subway has endorsement deals with Olympic athletes.

"This is not eating fresh!" Hari's petition said.

On Tuesday, Subway's Facebook page was filled with comments regarding the chemical.

As Americans pay closer attention to what they eat, food companies have worked to market their products as natural. But companies have also come under growing pressure to remove chemicals people find questionable. That pressure has been heightened by consumers' ability to voice and share their concerns online. Last year, for instance, PepsiCo said it would remove an ingredient that had been linked to a flame retardant from its Gatorade drinks.

PepsiCo also said its decision was not a response to an online petition that had called for it to remove the ingredient.

Subway, which is privately held, says it has more than 41,000 locations worldwide. It is based in Milford, Conn.

---

Between its bleached, air filled bread and its unnatural, genetically modified 'perfect looking' veggies, processed cheese, gross processed "meat", heavy salt and heavy fat dressing, I don't understand how anyone could see Subway as a 'healthy alternative'. Maybe I'm just biased, but I haven't had subway (or any fast food) for 2 years, and I don't miss it.

Hari noted that the azodicarbonamide used in its bread "as a bleaching agent" is also used to make yoga mats and shoe rubber.

That part made me laugh. There's a Subway near my house, right next door is a cobbler and above them there's a yoga studio.

But yeah, I ate Subway for the first time in a couple years last month, just because I had a voucher for a free meal at the airport in Calgary and it was either Subway or Tim Hortons at 6am. Doesn't even taste like real food to me.

Atoms are a key ingredient in nuclear bombs, and they're also the key ingredient in the grill cheese sandwich I just ate. How much of this shoe rubber crap actually gets to your stomach and is it bad for you? Worse than white flour or processed meats?

You know what, doesn't matter. I don't really care about my body and obviously most North Americans don't either. People just aren't capable of taking five seconds to stop shoving pseudo food into their mouths to think about what it is they're eating and how forty years from now it is going to cause they're heart to stop. Even if you do corporations like Subway are allowed to advertise their products as healthy choices when in reality it couldn't be more the opposite. And for the same reason people fall for that bull they fall for the bull of the political party who put the most money into their campaign. Where did they get that money? They promised Subway that they would cover their ass in exchange for funding.

Point is, people are stupid and the few that aren't are taking advantage of that stupidity. Second point is, people are evil.

Ironically, a few years ago when I ate the stuff, I found a large dirty piece of rubber in my sandwich, I think it might have been like a nub from the stand of a piece of equipment. Lucky for them I had taken it back to work to eat, otherwise they would have had a sandwich smeared on their sneeze barrier class. Come to think of it, I think that's when I stopped eating subway..

About time North Americans started demanding better food/knowing what's in their food. We've got a lot of catching up to do with Europe on this front.

Educate yourselves people. Most processed "food" is largely anything but these days.

The healthy marketing of Subway has been BS from day one. A footlong sub with just about any meat and cheese has more fat and sodium than a big mac combo. Its all right there on their nutritional info page. They have never been a healthy choice.

How did Jared do it? Starvation diets work. When you are taking in so few calories a day those calories can be pure whale blubber and you will still lose weight. A 6" veggie sub with no sauce and no cheese was his "meal" twice a day.

My old man works for a (now former) major supplier of Subway, and one of the owners of a Branch he dealt with told him he wouldn't feed Subways meat to his dog, and that the fresh veggie bags are pumped full of preservative gas. He also told me to notice the wording Subway uses in its slogans, as it is not 'Fresh' but 'Made Fresh'. Same with Tim Hortons, the word "Always Fresh" only relates to their coffee now.

What exactly is this chemical and does it have any harmful effects? Just because it's used in shoe rubber doesn't mean it's dangerous. Dangerous chemicals contain many non-harmful and natural ingredients. Are we gonna stop drinking water because it's used in disinfectant?

If people want to make the case that Subway is unhealthy and processed (which it probably is) why not actually tell people why it's bad for you? By calling it "shoe rubber chemicals" they are just going for shock value and attention.

What exactly is this chemical and does it have any harmful effects? Just because it's used in shoe rubber doesn't mean it's dangerous. Dangerous chemicals contain many non-harmful and natural ingredients. Are we gonna stop drinking water because it's used in disinfectant?

If people want to make the case that Subway is unhealthy and processed (which it probably is) why not actually tell people why it's bad for you? By calling it "shoe rubber chemicals" they are just going for shock value and attention.

It doesn't take much effort to find out information about these chemicals. The MSDS for this chemical is available online.

http://www.sciencela...?msdsId=9922989

Routes of Entry: Inhalation. Ingestion. Toxicity to Animals:

Chronic Effects on Humans:

MUTAGENIC EFFECTS: Mutagenic for bacteria and/or yeast. May cause damage to the following organs: kidneys. Other Toxic Effects on Humans: Hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant), of ingestion, of inhalation (lung sensitizer). Special Remarks on Toxicity to Animals: Not available.

Special Remarks on Chronic Effects on Humans: May affect genetic material (mutagenic)

Special Remarks on other Toxic Effects on Humans:

Acute Potential Health Effects: Skin: May cause skin irritation. It may be absorbed by the skin. Eyes: May cause mechanical eye irritation. Inhalation: May cause respiratory tract irritation. Ingestion: May cause gastrointestinal tract irritation with hypermotility and diarrhea. May affect respiration (respiratory stimulation, asthma Chronic Potential Health Effects: Skin: Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause skin sensitization (dermatitis) Inhalation: Prolonged or repeated inhalation may affect the liver, metabolism, blood. Ingestion: Prolonged or repeated ingestion may affect the kidneys, and endocrine system (thyroid hypofunction)

​Honestly I knew something was fishy with subway from the get go. The smell and texture of the food seems off! Thank god I am Celiac and my diets more clean now...

Archived