The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Figured I'd Share This Copyright Infringement Notice I got a Few Months Ago

Alex the Great

Especially given some US ISP's like Comcast ship their routers with a setting most layman users don't realize is offering Free Wi-Fi to others.

Yes. Comcast does a lot of things like that because you do not own the equipment, and in some markets do not have data download cap limits--nothing like 70M download speed either. Their cable boxes also rely upon the Internet to operate properly, especially when you have the Skype add on kit.

Another thing have done is installed a camera on the front panel of the cable box to watch your responses to commercials, as well as a microphone to listen to what goes on in the house. It is easy to block the camera by using a Post It note, but I have not figured the way to block the microphone yet. The reason they say they do this is so they can target commercials directly to the audience that is watching.

As long as you don't redistribute or use the material to generate profit you're not breaking any laws.

However you should support your favorite media by purchasing it legitimately.

I agree with you in that people should purchase their favourite media. I have some friends who are musicians and a couple of others that are actors. They do not make a lot of money. I firmly believe they deserve to be paid for their work.

• 2 months later...

i just got a email from shaw saying i downloaded grudge match

lmfao

first of all i dont download anything thats number 1

number 2 is this a scare tactic? because i thought IP addresses cant be upheld in court

number 3 if i did download movies, which i dont, i would never download grudge match, y the F would i wanna watch the rotten botox carkus of stallone prancing around

I agree with you in that people should purchase their favourite media. I have some friends who are musicians and a couple of others that are actors. They do not make a lot of money. I firmly believe they deserve to be paid for their work.

They dont make alot of money because people pirate music and movies they make.They dont make alot of money because its plain and simple they suck.I dont have trouble paying for movies and music when its good when music and movies blow i dont get my money back like a crappy electronic i bought.

the only proof they have is that they the right holder or on the request of the rights holder was able to DL from your IP what that means is they legally downloaded their own product from you not illegal they can not prove that you provided it to anyone other then them. lol it is pretty funny i have got a few letters and would love to have them take me to court.

They dont make alot of money because people pirate music and movies they make.They dont make alot of money because its plain and simple they suck.I dont have trouble paying for movies and music when its good when music and movies blow i dont get my money back like a crappy electronic i bought.

You don't think it could be that the corporations behind the artists are greedy, maybe? Could be awesome, you'd never know.

If nobody pays for ANY movies or music, the quality of the product will continue to degrade. It is almost impossible to make money as a musician unless you are constantly on the road making the equivalent to minimum wage....or you are a mega talent with corporate backing. There are plenty of media sources to get free products, unless you are pirating movies as a punitive statement to the artists (or production company) themselves then you should consider paying for it to support them. HBO doesn't go after DLs of their shows and there are many options to stream. There are some big production companies, like Warner Brothers, that I have very little respect for and will not encourage people to pay for, but the "small guys", the indie films and musicians who have no financial backing should be supported. The film industry is about to change much like the music industry did after the death of the CD. There will be a lot more budget features that are offered online at discount or for free and advertising will be their revenue source. Smaller theaters are already starting to pop up in urban centers focusing on these "forced to be indie" films. There needs to be a happy medium or every movie will be made by WB, Disney or Fox....trust me, if you like actual stories then you don't want that.

Archived