The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis on Team 1040 February 6

oldnews

http://www.teamradio.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Mike_Gillis_with_SekeresAndPrice_Feb62014.mp3

Here's your opportunity to post your own 'summaries' - "it's a process", etc.

For those interested in the actual content, here are what I think are the main points:

Club's position is that the team Doctor determines whether Henrik plays in the Olympics (per the IOC/NHL relationship).

He's not sitting out the pre-Olympic games in order to rest for the Olympics. Henrik's own words since this interview is that he won't be playing in the Olympics. Gillis states that his priority is the Vancouver Canucks - apparently Henrik reiterated that in deciding not to play in Socchi.

Hamhuis' injury is definitely not a concussion.

Getting coach back is a primary need in turning around the slide, in addition to getting healthy again. Hard to compete with 4, 5, 6, 7 players out of the lineup.

Blake - are you disappointed in the performance of the club today?

Faced some serious adversity that needs to be evaluated for what it really is. Great start to season, dip, great December, not playing the way the entire organization expects to play.

Blake doesn't appear aware of what the adversities were.

Coach suspended for 15 days plus multiple injuries to key players... compilation of events.

Daniel and Henrik:

Changing a lot of things that require time for adjustment. Some issues in finishing - the same people, hardworking, doing the same things - need to adjust as a team to help them and support them - they're true professionals that show up to work everyday and will figure this out - 100% support for them - I know they'll get this sorted out.

Regarding Daniel - I'm not going to talk about potential injuries that are injuries with guys like that that are playing games.... Not aware of anything off the ice....I have complete confidence that they'll work through this.

Get back to some measure of our healthy team, normalcy... then I think they're going to be fine.

Re: NTCs - Blake: have you wavered at all on that approach?

It is a fluid business, there are circumstances where a player may choose to move on - those discussions take place periodically - but no, hasn't changed his perspective. Respects NTCs - in the event a player asks if things could be changed, they'll listen to it. No one has.

Doesn't regret the NTCs he has granted. most teams are in similar situations.

Only the Sedins have NMCs in their contracts.

The team doctor determines whether the Sedins or Hamhuis (or any other potentially injured players) will play - that is the rule. Not up to the players themselves or their GM. Evaluations will come down to the last minute.

I don't know why Team 1040 even bothers....its the same canned answers every week from Gillis. About 3 minutes after the interviewed ended they broke that Sedin was NOT going to Sochi ( a twitter posting quoting the President of the Swedish Hockey Association) this after Gillis stating no decision was made yet.

http://www.teamradio.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Mike_Gillis_with_SekeresAndPrice_Feb62014.mp3

Here's your opportunity to post your own 'summaries' - "it's a process", etc.

For those interested in the actual content, here are what I think are the main points:

Club's position is that the team Doctor determines whether Henrik plays in the Olympics (per the IOC/NHL relationship).

He's not sitting out the pre-Olympic games in order to rest for the Olympics. Henrik's own words since this interview is that he won't be playing in the Olympics. Gillis states that his priority is the Vancouver Canucks - apparently Henrik reiterated that in deciding not to play in Socchi.

Hamhuis' injury is definitely not a concussion.

Getting coach back is a primary need in turning around the slide, in addition to getting healthy again. Hard to compete with 4, 5, 6, 7 players out of the lineup.

Blake - are you disappointed in the performance of the club today?

Faced some serious adversity that needs to be evaluated for what it really is. Great start to season, dip, great December, not playing the way the entire organization expects to play.

Blake doesn't appear aware of what the adversities were.

Coach suspended for 15 days plus multiple injuries to key players... compilation of events.

Daniel and Henrik:

Changing a lot of things that require time for adjustment. Some issues in finishing - the same people, hardworking, doing the same things - need to adjust as a team to help them and support them - they're true professionals that show up to work everyday and will figure this out - 100% support for them - I know they'll get this sorted out.

Regarding Daniel - I'm not going to talk about potential injuries that are injuries with guys like that that are playing games.... Not aware of anything off the ice....I have complete confidence that they'll work through this.

Get back to some measure of our healthy team, normalcy... then I think they're going to be fine.

Re: NTCs - Blake: have you wavered at all on that approach?

It is a fluid business, there are circumstances where a player may choose to move on - those discussions take place periodically - but no, hasn't changed his perspective. Respects NTCs - in the event a player asks if things could be changed, they'll listen to it. No one has.

Doesn't regret the NTCs he has granted. most teams are in similar situations.

Only the Sedins have NMCs in their contracts.

The team doctor determines whether the Sedins or Hamhuis (or any other potentially injured players) will play - that is the rule. Not up to the players themselves or their GM. Evaluations will come down to the last minute.

He was a big meanie, according to most people. BMac was crying all over the place about the interview.

one thing that has gotten me hearing gillis on the radio is that he keeps saying the team was slow to adapting the new style in the nhl. I for one don't see the blackhawks or the penguins really changing their style and they are still successful.

Gillis is stuck thinking the reason why we can't score is that the style of play is the reason why we can't score. This style of collapsing around the net was brought in by Carolina and has been around a long time. We used to be a team that had speed skill and puck possession. We played to agitate with arrogance and a real physical style. Now we don't have any of it.

Im also sad to see that Gillis follow instead of innovate. Where would the seahawks be if they followed the typical personnel that plays each position aka russell wilson.

I just hope Gillis can clear his head and figure out what a team needs to be in order to win the stanley cup and then go and build it, instead of thinking about how to follow and adapt to whatever successful styles are out there.

Gillis has gone back and forth and you can easily see the result in the current edition of the vancouver canucks

I heard it for the first time this morning. More of the same crap...injuries, adapting to new styles...etc.

Once again, his complete lack of humility makes him come across as a pompous arse.

He skirted the tough questions and on the face of it, basically said we're not trading anyone with an NTC. Hopefully that's just for public consumption and he does in fact have a plan to approach some of these players.

If not, our retool will simply consist of substituting the spare parts along the periphery of this team and we'll simply have to wait out for these contract with NTC's to expire in the next two or three years. At that point, these guys will simply just walk away as UFA's and we will not have received a thing for them, in which case, we should expect a long run of futility for this team.

I have no confidence in Gillis being able to make the hard decisions that need to be made for the good of this team. His player agent hat won't allow him.

He needs to be removed from the hockey operations side of the business so we can have someone with no ties to this team make the decisions that need to be made.

I think Gillis should be fired for what he said during that interview. He said he wouldn't even ask players with NTC to waive them. What the hell is that? As a gm his job is do whatever it takes to make the team better. Ship him out already and get a gm that will actually do something ffs.

He was a big meanie, according to most people. BMac was crying all over the place about the interview.

Poor BMac. Asks some dumb questions where he attempts to steer Gillis in directions where the response he gets is utterly predictable. He knows that he's pushing buttons and turning up the drama for consumption sake - I don't expect Gillis to walk on eggshells - he's diplomatic enough. If BMac is crying about that, he's a wimp. All he got is a little bit of tone. Get over it.

he was very guarded in his answers...i don't blame him,,,,fans and media can take any answers and create their own realities.

if gillis is working on anything and he might be, blabbing his plans could jeopradize their outcomes....

sure he is concerned, everyone is but he needs to keep a certain perspective for the team to hold on....

people don't care about that stuff...they only care about their own perceptions ....thank god, we don't run this team

First Question: In retrospect, should he (Henrik) of played Tuesday in Boston?

Makes me sick that Gillis couldn't say at some point, "No Matt, he probably should't have played." He reminds me of a damn politician. Just dancing around questions with bs. Just admit it was wrong.

First Question: In retrospect, should he (Henrik) of played Tuesday in Boston?

Makes me sick that Gillis couldn't say at some point, "No Matt, he probably should't have played." He reminds me of a damn politician. Just dancing around questions with bs. Just admit it was wrong.

And if he said that people would start speculating on a rift between him and the coach. It's really a no win question.

I think Gillis should be fired for what he said during that interview. He said he wouldn't even ask players with NTC to waive them. What the hell is that? As a gm his job is do whatever it takes to make the team better. Ship him out already and get a gm that will actually do something ffs.

For honouring his contracts? We want to attract free agents right? so is the best way to do that is say hey we don't care if you have a NTC your going to move regardless of a bad year...Get real

Edit: Maybe that's why he hired Torts...get a coach that will yell and scream at players for every little mistake and make everyone waive to get out

Archived