The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis on Team 1040 February 6

oldnews

Gillis made quite a few mistakes since he was gm of the year. Some of his moves, like Hodgson for Kassian for instance might turn into a great trade in 4-5 years but the timing was horrible.... they couldnt do that in the off season? I find that hard to believe....

Booth was in a soft conference and now hes in the toughest... I think he would still be a decent player in the east. Just injury prone and has no on ice vision. Hes been our best player this month thats how bad its gotten..

We should be trading 2-3 core players and getting younger... if Gillis cant do it or wont because of values then fire him and hire

someone who will. Id like to see something like Mantha and a 3rd for Edler. He might agree to Detroit, hes never going to approve the Islanders so no trades for Strome.

what list of unexpected happenings? that's all sh!t he shoulda saw coming and pre-compensated for.

how did the team fare outside the division in recent years?

. I'll acknowledge their record was decent before but partly because they had lots of soft competition that didn't take a toll on them How has their record been standing up over the last 3 years? Stable? Improving? How are they faring playing in a tougher division?

This team is lacking 2 TOP 6 forwards, nothing to do with injuries, everything to do with Gillis.

You have no idea what your talking about if your blaming Gillis... if your saying it's up to Gillis then your right!

For honouring his contracts? We want to attract free agents right? so is the best way to do that is say hey we don't care if you have a NTC your going to move regardless of a bad year...Get real

Edit: Maybe that's why he hired Torts...get a coach that will yell and scream at players for every little mistake and make everyone waive to get out

And the alternative is to let them play like s*** with no worries of job security? Gotcha.

How typical, he makes it sound like the struggles/ poor performance of the team lately is entirely due to adverse circumstances - coach suspension, injuries. Of course it has nothing to do with how weak the actual roster is and how he hasn't done squat to improve the team in 4 years.

To be fair, some of that is true. But yes, there is way more that was needed a year or two ago.

the same people defending gillis are the ones who tear gary bettman to shreds, yet gary has more character in his pinky fingernail than greasy gillis could ever hope to possess.

i would love to be a season ticket holder if only to go to the summer summit and get my own opportunity to grill that scumbag myself.

or better yet get rid of you. You can go with him when he gets canned.

lol havent you waited enough. He wont do anything big . If he ever does he'll get fleeced since he is not good at trading. You should already know that but you're a sheep that follows him.

Besides the Hodgson trade, where Kassian is slowing coming into form, name one deal that he's made where he got "fleeced"

I'm not saying he's perfect, but blindly saying we need to get rid of him without offering any practical solution such as who to replace him is simply making you look like a whiny band wagoner

No I have not waited long enough, especially not after Nonis and Dave Poille both agreed with Gillis' statement in that this year is a very difficult year to make any significant trades due to lowered cap. I'm willing to willing to wait til deadline and if not, this off season before I officially join the fire Gillis campaign

Besides the Hodgson trade, where Kassian is slowing coming into form, name one deal that he's made where he got "fleeced"

I'm not saying he's perfect, but blindly saying we need to get rid of him without offering any practical solution such as who to replace him is simply making you look like a whiny band wagoner

No I have not waited long enough, especially not after Nonis and Dave Poille both agreed with Gillis' statement in that this year is a very difficult year to make any significant trades due to lowered cap. I'm willing to willing to wait til deadline and if not, this off season before I officially join the fire Gillis campaign

This 'excuse' makes me sick to my stomach. Everybody knew 2012 was the end of the CBA and the league was going to be asking for some giveback, like always. But Gillis somehow couldn't forsee the cap going down? It was a surprise? It's like looking at a calendar and not seeing winter coming. Chicago, Pittsburgh, Boston and the other top teams seemed to maintain their high standing, why was Gillis so caught off guard? Complete bollocks.

I say tank this season, draft high, unload two or three core players for picks/prospects and in 2-3 years come back strong and with a hungrier, younger team.

i have been saying that for yrs after their run to the cup in 2011. every year they after the cup they made the play offs they where ousted in the first round. at least finish last and develop something for the team... i wanna say thru the draft.. but the draft isn't really kind to us..

the same people defending gillis are the ones who tear gary bettman to shreds, yet gary has more character in his pinky fingernail than greasy gillis could ever hope to possess.

i would love to be a season ticket holder if only to go to the summer summit and get my own opportunity to grill that scumbag myself.

Talk to someone who has tickets. I'm sure they would gladly let you have your soapbox to grill the scumbag. Just curious....How would this go??

i have been saying that for yrs after their run to the cup in 2011. every year they after the cup they made the play offs they where ousted in the first round. at least finish last and develop something for the team... i wanna say thru the draft.. but the draft isn't really kind to us..

Exactly when should we have tanked and finished last before now?

This 'excuse' makes me sick to my stomach. Everybody knew 2012 was the end of the CBA and the league was going to be asking for some giveback, like always. But Gillis somehow couldn't forsee the cap going down? It was a surprise? It's like looking at a calendar and not seeing winter coming. Chicago, Pittsburgh, Boston and the other top teams seemed to maintain their high standing, why was Gillis so caught off guard? Complete bollocks.

So the year after making it within a game of the cup, you really think the logical move was to SHED salary, retool, and get younger? When they were still a solid, Presidents trophy caliber team?

I call BS. The only move was to give the current core another shot, and worry about the cap when the time came. MG made some good moves - retaining Bieksa, Booth trade (at the time), Pahlsson (played well for us), etc. Unfortunately, injuries to Daniel & Kesler held us back, and we ran into a red-hot team that wiped the floor with EVERYBODY.

I really think Gillis and his pompous I am smarter than you attitude is why most GM's won't make a trade with him unless they know they are getting Gillis up the ass.

This only holds true in the case of butt hurt Nonis and Burke.

Any GM looking to improve his team won't give a rats --- who their dealing with as long as the package is what they want.

And the alternative is to let them play like s*** with no worries of job security? Gotcha.

Daniel and Burrows only ones playing like **** atm...or is Henrik who has had injuries since beginning of January in that list?(hand then ribs) Kesler is still driving the net and the play just hasn't produced...Higgins? Would you trade our most consistent player? Garrison leads our d in points and still plays hard so he doesent hit as much is it the end of the world? Edler is physical and a solid d hes payed to play d if was payed to score he would be a forward...Hamhuis has been playing solid few mistakes but same as everyone...And back to Burrows he is doing everything right except score...Should I continue?

I don't even want to hear his year end speech to the season ticket holders, I would just end up more angry. Guarantee he will blame everything but himself: "We ran into unfortunate injuries, the process is taking a bit longer then we anticipated, the Sedins will find a way, the team will rebound next year, the NHL is a hard place to play, the landscape is always changing, being a GM is hard and making a trade is almost impossible, we still think we are cup contenders..

So the year after making it within a game of the cup, you really think the logical move was to SHED salary, retool, and get younger? When they were still a solid, Presidents trophy caliber team?

I call BS. The only move was to give the current core another shot, and worry about the cap when the time came. MG made some good moves - retaining Bieksa, Booth trade (at the time), Pahlsson (played well for us), etc. Unfortunately, injuries to Daniel & Kesler held us back, and we ran into a red-hot team that wiped the floor with EVERYBODY.

Okay...if you want to look at it from that point of view, that's 100% fine. But then why does Gillis now trot it out as a ready-made excuse? This isn't a smorgasbord; you can't pick and choose all your outs. All teams play under the same rules of engagement, so if Gillis wanted to take his shot and go for it, fine. But please spare me the hardship and the claim that Gillis was blindsided by the cap reduction. That's just plain insulting.

Archived