The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis on Team 1040 February 6

oldnews

Daniel and Burrows only ones playing like **** atm...or is Henrik who has had injuries since beginning of January in that list?(hand then ribs) Kesler is still driving the net and the play just hasn't produced...Higgins? Would you trade our most consistent player? Garrison leads our d in points and still plays hard so he doesent hit as much is it the end of the world? Edler is physical and a solid d hes payed to play d if was payed to score he would be a forward...Hamhuis has been playing solid few mistakes but same as everyone...And back to Burrows he is doing everything right except score...Should I continue?

No, you should stop. You lost me when you said Edler is physical and a solid D. Your Mr. Solid D is packing a -22 in 40 games. Prorated over a whole season, that's a -45. Quite unsolid if you ask me.

Gillis never should have re-signed a guy like Luongo, who is obviously prone to straining his groin and getting run.

Never should have re-signed Burrows, it was staring him in the face - Burrows' foot and jaw are prone to breaks - and his puck luck sucks. Clutch? Pfffttt. This clutch don't change gears anymore.

Never should have drafted Schroeder for the same reason - can't take a shot to the ankle. Too small too.

Or Edler - whose knee (and back) are able to be injured. A mere shell of a Viking.

Should have known that Hansen could wreck his shoulder on any random crash into the boards.

Where was his "process" when he decided Hansen was worth re-signing?

Should have known that Stanton could be run from behind. You get what you pay for waiver wire thrift store shopper. Someone else's leftovers. You can't build your team with them.

And that Alberts' head isn't hard enough to withstand a flying McGratton elbow. $600k for that? Reset yourself Gillis.

Santorelli? Pfffttt. Who couldn't see that he's too small to withstand a Hanzal cross check. And way too small to be useful to the top 6. It was inevitable. Bargains are for cheapos.

Hank is obviously too old and way down the road to decline to take Hanzal cross checks like he used to. What an idiot to re-sign this guy as if a premier player. Gillis was fooled by his iron-man facade. Now we're stuck with him and his brother.

Tanev looked like a decent free agent signing at the time, but Gillis failed to see that his thumb was vulnerable. That was a dumbass oversight on his part. Can't see trade bait when it's staring him in the face. Dude wants too much money.

Gillis, worst of all, should have known that Bieksa can't take whatever it is that is ailing him, whether it was that shot he took to the back of the head, or a broken foot or whatever. Bieska can only fool Don Cherry.

Booth? Are you kidding me? That knee injury was predictable. He already had a concussion in the past. Idiot.

Higgins and Richardson - well hard to argue with these energy ball workhorses, but for some reason even they have missed games this year playing for the Gillis mislead Canucks. A NTC for Higgins? Are you doped?

Weber? Are you kidding me? The guy is from Switzerland. How durable are they? I dunno, but Gillis should have. Stop making excuses and get us a T1pmd.

Hamhuis? Soft. Not a real top pairing defenseman. Way overpaid at 4.6 million. First the mere Lucic strains his abdomen, and now what? Hamuseless and plain to see. Just wants to rest for Socchi. Fooled Yzerman for sure.

Don't even get me started on Ballard. I'm real real good at hindsight, so don't even get me started.

But the most predictable of it all? Who couldn't have foreseen that Tortorella would inevitably attempt to fight his way into the opposition locker room? Everyone knew that the last thing this team needed was that kind of passion. Is Gillis the only idiot who could not see this coming?

I have no idea what adversity he could be referring to? The adversity is his stupidity. Stop making excuses for being so stupid. Stupid.

Kassian sucks btw. You traded our Cup to Buffalo. All you had to do was tell AV to listen to Tony Gallagher, to his agent, his camp, and the rookie and show him the ice time. Instead...you traded our Cup to Buffalo for a fourth line plug.

Everyone also knew there was a lockout coming, and a capdrop, and a Luongo clause. Idiot didn't see the changes everyone else saw coming.

Luongo was the beginning of the end of this franchise the minute Gilis re-signed him. And wtf was he thinking drafting Schneider? You wasted our 26th overall on a guy who would go 55-26 here, and then downgrade us to a 9th overall pick. Was that the reset you dumbass? Everyone knows that having too starters isn't an embarrassment of riches - it's a goddamn crisis waiting to happen. Why didn't you just draft Marc Fistric instead?

And where the kcuf is our new top 6 winger? These futures just won't do. You really crapt the bed here Gillis.

Especially this year. One top 6 and all that "adversity" doesn't mean a gd thing.

One top 6 is all that was asked. Where would this team be with one top 6. And a T1pmd.

Kesler, Horvat, Tanev, Kassian, Hansen and a 1st for Weber. Get er done.

And then sign Iginla.

And Cammalleri.

And Jagr.

And Andrew MacDonald.

Until that happens, I'm done with the Canucks.

Amazing.

I think Gillis should be fired for what he said during that interview. He said he wouldn't even ask players with NTC to waive them. What the hell is that? As a gm his job is do whatever it takes to make the team better. Ship him out already and get a gm that will actually do something ffs.

So you and your spouse sign a lease to rent a condo for five years. A year into the lease, the owner you rent from decides to sell the condo you live in and asks/demands you to move out. What would you do? I know what you would be doing; running down to your lawyer's office. Think about what you are suggesting (in your words ffs). Appears the legalities of simple contracts has gone right over your head.

GMs offer NT clauses to players as an incentive to get the players they want to sign contracts. For you and others who feel Gillis gives out too many NT incentives, do a little work and compare the NT incentives other GMs around the league have given to players. Check out cap geek for that simple easy answer. Check out the NT incentives given to many of the super stars on each team in the league. With the exception of one or two teams most teams are on par with the Canucks in that regard.

Why do players and GMs even sign contracts, if either side is not prepared to follow the tenets of the contract to the letter. The contracts are legal and binding. I thought that you would have figured that out by now ffs.

No, you should stop. You lost me when you said Edler is physical and a solid D. Your Mr. Solid D is packing a -22 in 40 games. Prorated over a whole season, that's a -45. Quite unsolid if you ask me.

Not physical? 79 hits? 89 blocked shots? naturally you would stick to +/- only...Hes -10 in give/takeaway...O and Bieksa is worst at -24 in that regard...Next?

So you and your spouse sign a lease to rent a condo for five years. A year into the lease, the owner you rent from decides to sell the condo you live in and asks/demands you to move out. What would you do? I know what you would be doing; running down to your lawyer's office. Think about what you are suggesting (in your words ffs). Appears the legalities of simple contracts has gone right over your head.

Why do players and GMs even sign contracts, if either side is not prepared to follow the tenets of the contract to the letter. The contracts are legal and binding. I thought that you would have figured that out by now ffs.

My parents in law signed a one year lease condo rental. Something happened, circumstances changed and they wanted out. They wrote a nice letter asking if they can get out of the lease 6 months early and the management company agreed without any penalty.

Asking ... all we are suggesting is that MG ask. Swallow your pride, put your tail between your legs ... whatever. Players have no contractual obligation to say yes but it starts with ASKING. Get over it MG and do what is best for the team. You're the GM of a team now and not a player agent of old.

Not physical? 79 hits? 89 blocked shots? naturally you would stick to +/- only...Hes -10 in give/takeaway...O and Bieksa is worst at -24 in that regard...Next?

For a guy as big as Edler, 2 hits per game isn't exactly knocking my socks off. And regardless of what anyone else thinks, Edler IS paid to help produce offensively, so his prorated 29 points aren't working for me much either.

And yeah, when you're a -22 and next worst guy is -3, it is a problem. Rag on Bieksa if you must. He's far from perfect but he is sporting a +3. Edler has been garbage the past 3 seasons.

He is physical and solid. But slow and out of position a lot. He lets guys blow by him all the time now. Hence the minuses.

However, he's younger than Bieksa and can still resurrect his career. Bieksa as we see him now is about as good as he'll ever get.

Makes no sense trading either player right now, really. We need a physical RHD and Edler's value is currently too low to make a decent trade.

What I love about the Gillis haters is how they continually use the same old arguments (like NTCs) that have been proven false or at least not any different than many other teams in the league do.

Get over it people, if you don't have a suggestion for an available replacement you think can do better, stop spewing garbage. In the very least, provide actual facts to back up your arguments against Gillis and people might take you seriously.

You seem angry. This is a discussion board and people on it clearly have the rights laid out in the Board Rules to discuss topics.

Your vehement demands of fellow posters to stop spewing garbage so that people take them seriously smacks of pretention.

You get more flies with sugar, right?

My parents in law signed a one year lease condo rental. Something happened, circumstances changed and they wanted out. They wrote a nice letter asking if they can get out of the lease 6 months early and the management company agreed without any penalty.

Asking ... all we are suggesting is that MG ask. Swallow your pride, put your tail between your legs ... whatever. Players have no contractual obligation to say yes but it starts with ASKING. Get over it MG and do what is best for the team. You're the GM of a team now and not a player agent of old.

In my opinion, your parents were lucky however, their landlord could have also said no.

I appreciate where you are coming from with respect to asking however we are talking millions of dollars and a family's future here.

You buy a brand new vehicle that comes with a five year, 300,000 mile warranty. You have problems with the tranny a few months down the road and you take it back to the dealer. The dealer asks you to waive the conditions of the warranty. You hear from friends that he has done that to them as well. What do you now think of the credibility of the auto dealer? A deal is a deal is a deal right? Or would you say yes because he asked you nicely? Would you buy another vehicle from that same dealer in the future or would you have formed the impression about his credibility, reasoning that he likes to make deals but does not want to stick with them. You also consider what he has done with your friends in the past and won't buy from him again.

It is great if one side wants to get out of a contract but how does it affect the other side. If you sign deals and then try to get out of them later how many will trust you if they sign a contract with you in the future?

The legalities of all contracts should prevail. That applies to sports contracts as well.

What I love about the Gillis haters is how they continually use the same old arguments (like NTCs) that have been proven false or at least not any different than many other teams in the league do.

Get over it people, if you don't have a suggestion for an available replacement you think can do better, stop spewing garbage. In the very least, provide actual facts to back up your arguments against Gillis and people might take you seriously

peter chiarelli - assistant gm in ottawa

ray shero - assistant gm in ottawa and nashville

ken holland - assistant gm in detroit

stan bowman - assistant gm in chicago

notice the trend?

Gillis won GM of the year a few years back..which is primarily voted by the other GMs around the league..does not sound like an unpopular GM to me.

acknowledging a job well done and disliking/disrespecting a person are not mutually exclusive.

You know for a fact that Gillis is disliked by other Gm's in the league? Burke and Nonuts are about the only ones I know of.

while not technically a gm anymore, kevin lowe said he'd never deal with gillis.

but think about it: gillis spent years making his living by screwing over gms and squeezing every last penny he could get out of them for his clients, by any means necessary.

i guarantee he didn't make many friends along the way.

You seem angry. This is a discussion board and people on it clearly have the rights laid out in the Board Rules to discuss topics.

Your vehement demands of fellow posters to stop spewing garbage so that people take them seriously smack of pretention.

You get more flies with sugar, right?

The King ain't no Great Pretenda brotha; and you just stepped on his Blue Suede Shoes!

while not technically a gm anymore, kevin lowe said he'd never deal with gillis.

but think about it: gillis spent years making his living by screwing over gms and squeezing every last penny he could get out of them for his clients, by any means necessary.

i guarantee he didn't make many friends along the way.

Putting all your horses on Lowe eh, guy is a clueless tit.

Archived