The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis on Team 1040 February 6

oldnews

while not technically a gm anymore, kevin lowe said he'd never deal with gillis.

but think about it: gillis spent years making his living by screwing over gms and squeezing every last penny he could get out of them for his clients, by any means necessary.

i guarantee he didn't make many friends along the way.

Kevin Lowe won, like, SO many cups too.

I think Gillis should be fired for what he said during that interview. He said he wouldn't even ask players with NTC to waive them. What the hell is that? As a gm his job is do whatever it takes to make the team better. Ship him out already and get a gm that will actually do something ffs.

So let's say Gillis did as you believe he should, and ask a player with a NTC to waive, and the player says "no". What do you do then? I'm always interested in hearing what people believe will happen next.

regards,

G.

while not technically a gm anymore, kevin lowe said he'd never deal with gillis.

but think about it: gillis spent years making his living by screwing over gms and squeezing every last penny he could get out of them for his clients, by any means necessary.

On what are you basing this assumption? Do you have any press clippings in which 28 out of 29 other GM's in the NHL state that they hate Gillis and will not deal with him because of his time as a player agent? Can you supply us with even a couple?

EDIT:

Yeah, Low. Maybe Burke/Nonis. This seems like a rather thin sample.

regards,

G.

So let's say Gillis did as you believe he should, and ask a player with a NTC to waive, and the player says "no". What do you do then? I'm always interested in hearing what people believe will happen next.

regards,

G.

Then there's not much he could do but to say he wont even try is frustrating.

regards,

G.

Then you respect his decision and move to the next guy on the list of tradeable asset and ask him. If after 10 rounds, no one agrees to a trade, at least you could say that you've tried.

Maybe some players want out of here and is waiting for MG to ask because the player has a general principle of 'not asking' to be traded ... no one really cares who initiated the discussion, just get it done.

In retrospect, did Luongo ask to be traded ... or did MG ask Lui if he'd be open to be moved?

Okay...if you want to look at it from that point of view, that's 100% fine. But then why does Gillis now trot it out as a ready-made excuse? This isn't a smorgasbord; you can't pick and choose all your outs. All teams play under the same rules of engagement, so if Gillis wanted to take his shot and go for it, fine. But please spare me the hardship and the claim that Gillis was blindsided by the cap reduction. That's just plain insulting.

Gillis went for it, but the team fell short (largely due to injuries). He then had to deal with the falling cap.

The reason why Booth was available for a couple of beat up old dudes was because of the cap uncertainties. Gillis took the gamble to make an immediate impact. However, Booth's knee injury slowed him down. Then a future injury prevented a buyout.

Just because someone tells you the reality of a situation, doesn't mean it's a manufactured excuse.

Daniel and Burrows only ones playing like **** atm...or is Henrik who has had injuries since beginning of January in that list?(hand then ribs) Kesler is still driving the net and the play just hasn't produced...Higgins? Would you trade our most consistent player? Garrison leads our d in points and still plays hard so he doesent hit as much is it the end of the world? Edler is physical and a solid d hes payed to play d if was payed to score he would be a forward...Hamhuis has been playing solid few mistakes but same as everyone...And back to Burrows he is doing everything right except score...Should I continue?

Lol wow. You must be in a different time zone because it's too early to start drinking at the time you posted that. You say he's solid and he's paid to play D, lets take a look at how that's going.

Edler has been bad the prior 2 seasons and hasn't been any better this season. He's -22 in 40 games this season which puts him at 2nd last out of ALL defencemen in the NHL. The next closest Canucks are Corrado, Weber, and Garrison with -3. Now I know +- sometimes gets skewed but when it's that one sided it's got weight to it.

How much longer do we have to wait to see if he's going to be the player we thought he'd be, its not going to happen, atleast not here. He should have been moved before this season started. When he wasn't I was hoping he'd somehow turn it around but its just the same s**t. Oh and guess what now his ntc has kicked in so I guess we're stuck with him.

Then there's not much he could do but to say he wont even try is frustrating.

Then you respect his decision and move to the next guy on the list of tradeable asset and ask him. If after 10 rounds, no one agrees to a trade, at least you could say that you've tried.

Maybe some players want out of here and is waiting for MG to ask because the player has a general principle of 'not asking' to be traded ... no one really cares who initiated the discussion, just get it done.

In retrospect, did Luongo ask to be traded ... or did MG ask Lui if he'd be open to be moved?

As I see it, Gillis cannot ask any player to waive. Doing so, just to say that you tried doesn't really do much of anything to help your team. If he did then there could be these two potential negative results:

1.) risk alienating the entire team, which could result in even worse results over the rest of this season and on into the future.

2.) it may affect any future UFA's who might sign here (and if you believe they already wouldn't sign here, then this would really seal the deal). They may look at Gillis going back on his word of not asking a player to waive and figure they may as well just ask for more money (and no NTC) rather than wind up playing someplace else for less after the Canucks moved them.

So how might the team get an idea if anyone wants out (assuming the player hasn't already asked)? Team meeting. Get all the players together and ask if anyone wants out.

It can be done as a team building exercise, getting the the players to all pull together and re-commit to the team, while putting out the offer to trade 'em. And it can be done so that a player doesn't have to stand up in front of his team mates and say that he wants out (which speaks to Never's point on a player not wanting to ask for the trade, at least publicly).

As to Luongo, I wouldn't be surprised if either side claimed that there was a request for a trade. I also wouldn't be surprised if there was a meeting after that season where the subject of Luongo moving on came up, and each side agreed that they were "open to the idea", but that nothing specific was discussed, and they would wait and see what developed.

regards,

G.

He was and is still doing far better then Sturm or Samuelson...Was a low risk high reward trade and up till he started getting injured looked pretty good...Is looking good again just gets to get some into the back of the net

Booth had been and continues to look like garbage. Yeah we never gave up much considering how Samuelson went to te gutter as well but my point is that we don't have a power forward and haven't since Bertuzzi.

Any idiot can realize that this team needs a power forward and a quarter back power play defence man (which we haven't had since Ehrhoff)

Gillis fails at his job and should be fired.

They were just filling him with a false sense of security and acceptance. It worked.

Many people also fail to recognize that Burke was the GM that created the nucleus on this team. Gillis' additions, aside from Hamius have not been much of an effect on this team, in fact, he downgraded us in some aspects.

You can't guarantee anything you don't know.

Archived