The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Valentine's Day

Maz

So it's about that time of year again. Time when you gotta bite the bullet and pull out all the stops for that extra special someone in your life. I am a recently engaged male and unfortunately used all my creative expertise and emotional ideas on the proposal and am having a rough time coming up with some fresh new ideas. However, seeing as this is the only Valentine's Day with a fiancé, I figure I should probably make it memorable to some extent. Its also exam time, so most of my mind power and creative drive is spent reading books and memorizing useless facts in attempt to better my future.

Anyways, I was hoping to gain some wisdom from the male figures out there.

What are your plans this year?

Best ideas you've had?

Even better yet, worst ideas you've had?

We all need a little help from time to time. Let's share and make this an easier time for all.

Hallmark is forcing you to spend money on a non holiday with the initials of Venereal Disease....

Seriously, I am a married guy, been stuck like this for a long time. Don't get caught up doing all this nonsense for Valentine's Day. A corporation telling you it is important to waste money showing someone love on one specific day is garbage.

Go get food, go for a solid walk, catch a band at a nice tapas watch a movie and hump hard. No kids no phones (this is HUGE turn that crap off) no friends go somewhere totally random and just be casual.

You show love 365 days a year not just the 14th of a crappy month of the year

Treat your woman right, make her feel special year-round and you won't need some silly consumerist holiday with jacked up pricing, crowded restaurants and canned "romance" to make her feel special and loved.

Better?

I think I cut myself reading this.

Hallmark is forcing you to spend money on a non holiday with the initials of Venereal Disease....

Seriously, I am a married guy, been stuck like this for a long time. Don't get caught up doing all this nonsense for Valentine's Day. A corporation telling you it is important to waste money showing someone love on one specific day is garbage.

Go get food, go for a solid walk, catch a band at a nice tapas watch a movie and hump hard. No kids no phones (this is HUGE turn that crap off) no friends go somewhere totally random and just be casual.

Good stuff!

I was under a similar impression myself, however i've learned females tend to think differently.

I've learned why not take the extra step as cheesy as it is? I feel like a girl doesn't wanna be the one saying "nothing" when asked what happened on valentines.

I agree though, the classics are classics for a reason.

Just cook her a nice meal. Girls love it when a guy can do that, and all the more so when they know you're busy but still took the time and effort to do so. I'd agree with earlier posts that it's much better than buying something when she might not even like it.

Btw on a side note, to the singles: just be happy with the people (friends, family) in your lives if you're single (like me)! Until you meet someone who you want to make it work with, you have to be happy with and secure in yourself before inviting someone else into your life, since they're not your central source of happiness.

Good stuff!

I was under a similar impression myself, however i've learned females tend to think differently.

I've learned why not take the extra step as cheesy as it is? I feel like a girl doesn't wanna be the one saying "nothing" when asked what happened on valentines.

I agree though, the classics are classics for a reason.

Why would you want to go out of your way on one day a year? if you want to do that mark 3 random dates on your calendar every year. Do it randomly. Not on some pseudo holiday. It feels forced

I don't buy into the Valentines day crap, never have.

Luckily the gf I have now is ok with it, LOL!

It's a major waste of money. I'm not dropping $50 bucks on roses that were $14.99 a week earlier.

Since it's a Friday though, We'll likely go out for dinner, but we do that on a semi regular basis anyway.

some disappointing responses I must say wow.

It doesn't have to be the " commercialized " or " forced " day lol, just take a little extra time on that day , some effort into making the one you are with feel special. Nobody is saying this is the only day, but it Valentines Day lol, so go the extra mile.

/thread

there's a house here in victoria that goes _all out_ on Halloween and Christmas lawn decorations. i walked by there the other day and saw that they have a bunch of hearts in the window and hanging from trees, and some huge lit-up horses or unicorns, or whatever, standing on a sparkly silver platform. don't think i've ever seen valentine's day lawn decorations before

Never celebrated it, or all the other arbitrarily chosen days that supposedly dictate how much affection you should show to someone. Material gifts aren't bad but I prefer a little more personal relevance than St. Nicolas or Valentine's. Sorry, but it's stupid and emotionally lazy if these dates are where you pat yourself on the back for maintaining a relationship you give a quarter of an effort to the rest of the year

Actually Valentines day is the birthday/day of passing (a common dispute among historians) of Pope Valentino. Being the arch bishop of Catholicism he had great influence in all of the Roman city states. His powerful position was said to be admired by many young Roman women, which is why the emotion of love is often associated with him. At some point the Roman secularist senate pushed to have him executed on the grounds of treason. Initially he was protected by the emperor, but after the death of the sonless emperor the senate gained a short term but ultimate control over the empire and as a result, Pope Valentino was executed. It is said that his last words were "Sanctus dosminos lova." Ancient Roman/Latin for Love dominates all. (rough translation).

So no. Valentines day is not arbitrary.

Archived