The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is Torts' System, Anyhow?

xereau

Why would you trade Luongo?? He's the only reason games aren't 7-1

Because he's having a good year so his value is higher than it was. and do you honestly see him playing out his contract here? It's jus an example tho that gillis needs to trade away a core piece or two.

Torts coaches an "always move your feet" style with an aggressive forecheck. Our top line plays a puck possession on the boards, cycle game that isn't aggressive. Our transition from O to D is slow and D to O seems rushed and confused, often times ruining any flow the rush can bring. I don't think it's one factor causing us to suck, it's a new system from a new coach with players that historically played a different style, it's a compressed season and we have a bunch of injuries all at once, it's none of our best players having good seasons while we were short on scoring coming in to the season. It's not Torts fault, but it is his responsibility to get those players all moving in the same damn direction though.

The Leafs also stink in this regard, but they're doing better than they have in a long time. So maybe their fans can enlighten us.

(Pretty simple, they have more NHLers in the lineup, currently.)

The Leafs score a lot of goals and their PP is lights-out. Though their GAA is among the bottom-5 in the league they've been getting great goaltending at the right times.

In contrast, the Canucks are among the top-10 in the league this season in puck-possession when looking at the two primary indicators of that stat.

Our system is scalable. With high end talent it could be awesome like Chicago but with our current team that lacks pure offensive talent we look more like LA.

What I like about torts is he's building the system and principles from the ground up and not cheating. Our perimeter offense is terrible but at the same time I don't see as many breakdowns due to bad D pinches for example.

It's clear that the core has been brainwashed to not think on the fly or develop a holistic skill set. While AV was excellent at leveraging strengths, weaknesses remain as weaknesses such as kesler's lack of passing and sedins' lack of shooting proficiency. I think starting fresh with new talented players like horvat and shinkaruk will learn how to play a fully developed game and thrive under this system which is a solid system if you want playoff success but is subject to major growing pains.

Our system is scalable. With high end talent it could be awesome like Chicago but with our current team that lacks pure offensive talent we look more like LA.

What I like about torts is he's building the system and principles from the ground up and not cheating. Our perimeter offense is terrible but at the same time I don't see as many breakdowns due to bad D pinches for example.

It's clear that the core has been brainwashed to not think on the fly or develop a holistic skill set. While AV was excellent at leveraging strengths, weaknesses remain as weaknesses such as kesler's lack of passing and sedins' lack of shooting proficiency. I think starting fresh with new talented players like horvat and shinkaruk will learn how to play a fully developed game and thrive under this system which is a solid system if you want playoff success but is subject to major growing pains.

If its scalable, what are the force multipliers available to the team?

This is impossible to determine for 100% sure, but is it possible that there is an ideal that is making its way through the minds of the locker room, even a subconscious one, that is utterly cancerous to the mindset of the team? Something is up here, and I can not put my finger on it.

I am talking about the not trying, not clearing the front of teh net, barely back checking in the D zone.. etc.

What is the root of this?

And how many of the core need to be removed, and who, in order for this trend to reverse itself?

This is impossible to determine for 100% sure, but is it possible that there is an ideal that is making its way through the minds of the locker room, even a subconscious one, that is utterly cancerous to the mindset of the team? Something is up here, and I can not put my finger on it.

I am talking about the not trying, not clearing the front of teh net, barely back checking in the D zone.. etc.

What is the root of this?

And how many of the core need to be removed, and who, in order for this trend to reverse itself?

At some point, denial gives way to realization. The Canucks are getting injured by the boatload now, with opposing players going out with the express mission of hurting them. No repercussions ever result and often, the Canucks somehow end up on the losing end when it comes to penalties to boot. Why play hard only to get hurt and get shafted by the refs? We've seen what reffing can do to a playoff series. What's to stop that from happening again? Everything we're seeing is showing that things will only get worse.

These guys have livelihoods that extend beyond their time in the NHL. Why would they sacrifice that for a minuscule chance of success in a corrupt league?

Blowing 3rd period leads is a major part of his system.

Also running his star players to the ground by over playing them and not giving the bottom 6 any chance to succeed. Even after tito scored the 2-0 goal vs the hawks, he was mainly stapled to the bench

Also physical humiliating one of the hardest workers this team has had and fan favourite (poking him on the bench for everyone to see)

Also multiple times bringing his players down by calling booth weird and then again saying wow you know u r in trouble when booth is our best player

Also it doesn't help when he abandons the team for 15 days.

And lastly... is it just me or is it weird that he lives in the USA when he's the coach of one of Canada's best cities? He makes 2 million a year... so I doubt money is the issue.

But come playoff time, that is what you see the more successful teams doing throughout the league. Collapsing, blocking shots and protecting the net.

blocking shots and clearing the net I agree. But man letting the point men control the puck giving them all the time is not a good idea

blocking shots and clearing the net I agree. But man letting the point men control the puck giving them all the time is not a good idea

Works for other teams when they defend against the canucks. Shots against don't matter so much when they're low percentage shots. If the canucks ever got good enough at the transition game then stuffing the poor point shots and beating their D up the ice on an odd man rush would be an excellent strategy.

I was wondering what other teams in the league use this kind of system? Is it effective for the play-offs? What style of play do recent cup winners like Chicago, LA, and Boston use?

The fundamentals of their systems are to protect the middle of the ice in all zones. LA has trouble with offense so they collapse on D but the middle slot should always be protected. The hawks have talent to make sick offensive plays and let their forwards drive the offense. If they lose the puck, the first forward back is in charge of back checking in the middle.

The canucks used to rely on D to pinch to manufacture offense and had a weird hybrid zone to man-to-man switching system. When it works its great to promote puck rushing when possession changes but the downside is if one guy is out of position, it created holes for other teams to exploit. The system was fine at a certain pace of play but in the playoffs sometimes the middle slot on D would be exposed.

Any good offensive system requires talent to move the puck quickly and across areas of the ice until the puck is a prime scoring area. In the absence of that teams either play it safe and hope for fluky deflections or take chances to pinch in the D.

The canucks attacking system which ideally would be Max two passes and a good shot with net crashers which is carried by the forwards. The D point shot would be the next option if it gets opened up but should be made quickly and forcing the goalie to move side to side. However since our passing and shooting is pretty poor, the opposition knows to leave our right point shot open because its our weakest form of attack.

While a better system would give us better short teem results, our style actually promotes playoff like principles such as puck protection and winning the middle od the ice. having the forwards carry the offense and protecting the middle on D gives us a fighting chance system wise. Skill would be needed to get to another level. Whereas before we had sick skill but our system would set us back when play was elevated.

Archived