Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vancouver Canucks 30

Mike Gillis Re: Canucks "We're Going to be all Right"; Aquilini "2014 Canucks are NOT the REAL Canucks"

Big surprise,, they might have to do something when the fans start staying away in droves...who would pay to see the current product.

lol I'm not surprised.. when was the last time Gillis told us what his real plans are - you don't because you don't talk about potential trades until they're finalized

who saw the Booth, Ballard, Higgins, Lappy, Hodgson, Schneider, or even Weise trade coming? I wouldn't be surprised if he's already approached some of our NTC's and asked for potential deals but only kept them because he doesn't want any leaks that could break off any potential trades

This club has had issues looong before all of these injuries hit. Before this last brutal stretch the only thing holding the Canucks upright was stellar goaltending and pre-injury Henrik working his magic while lugging his brother along with him.

The steady decline since 2011 has turned into a nosedive with all of the injuries and I think Gillis has to know that something is indeed amiss (not just the overactive infirmary). He can't tip his hand however and announce that he is willing to trade everyone for a bag of pucks and an Andrew Cassels rookie card. That wouldn't make sense either...so we get this, non-committal interviews and vague statements about generalities.

Let's just hope that their actually is some sort of plan.

If Mike Gillis sits back and tries to hang onto this core to win in the playoffs he is delaying the rebuild and could be setting the franchise back anywhere from 3 to 5 years. Every player in their prime or aging that he hangs onto becomes less valuable later on.

Either he runs us at the cup or rebuilds. No more bull crap 1st round exits and lousy draft positions. Its obvious we cant win and we wont win next year either . Strip it down. The sooner he does the sooner we can rebuild the next contender.

He reading it incorrectly.

"They lost the confidence their most-devoted fans had in them."

"They have not, however, lost the faith of their general manager."

"They" is reffering to "the team". What he's saying is "the team" has lost the fans confidence but "the team" has not lost MG's conficence. He mistakenly thinks the writer is saying MG hasn't lost the fans confidence. Reading comprehension.

I think there are two separate things going on here Baggins.

1) f the province for speaking for the fans in assuming they've lost confidence in the team.

2) whether misreading Botchford or not - lost faith IN General Manager.

Just don't pull a Calgary at the deadline and "buy" when we are in 9th place and are on a win streak....

Guys I live in Calgary. I know this too well.

Same stuff happened here.

cup run in 04

nostalgic memories of how awesome the team was and so, overvaluing their players many years later by rewarding them with NTCs

Sign Jarome to a long term contract during his decline.

hold onto him for too long during the decline

hover around 7-10th place but catch fire after winter break

fans gain hope in playoff chances

ownership wants to keep making money

GM "buys" at deadline

Comes close to making playoffs but falter down the road during some key games.

Miss the playoffs

repeat for 3 years until realizing they need a rebuild

yup, we are heading down that road guys.

Just don't pull a Calgary at the deadline and "buy" when we are in 9th place and are on a win streak....

cup run in 04

nostalgic memories of how awesome the team was and so, overvaluing their players many years later by rewarding them with NTCs

GM "buys" at deadline

Miss the playoffs

i'm pretty sure management has enough foresight to not go in the direction calgary went

cup run in 04

GM "buys" at deadline

Miss the playoffs

That's a nice story CanucksJay.

But here's where it falls to pieces.

A chapter that you've missed and really should read.

Calgary Flames prospects of 2009:

Lance Bouma

Brett Palin

Keith Aullie

Greg Nemisz

Ryley Grantham

Kris Chucko

John Negrin

TJ Brodie

Jason Jaffray

Anton Stralman

John Armstrong

Cam Cunning

Gaelen Patterson

Michael Backlund

Spencer Bennett

Hugo Carpentier

Brad Cole

Carsen Germyn

Kyle Greentree

Ryan Howse

Josh Myers

Leland Irving

Garth Murray

David Van der Gulik

J.D Watt

David Shantz

Matt Keetley

Daniel Spence

The best among them is Backlund who has broken the 25 point barrier for the first time this year - four years later.

Brodie is a decent NHL defenseman. A marginal depth player in there as well - Bouma. A few others have touched NHL ice.

Add to that the fact that the Flames had absolutely no talent on their roster under the age of 25 in 2009. None whatsoever.

Backlund - that was it - and with all due respect, even he wouldn't crack the roster for two more years.

So let's summarize:

Year 2009 - talent under the age of 25 in the entire Flames organization:

Backlund

Brodie

Bouma

Irving, Stralman, Jaffray, Nemisz?

Year 2014 - talent under the age of 25 in the Canucks organization:

Roster players:

Tanev

Kassian

Stanton

Lack

Schroeder

Roster callups:

Corrado

Dalpe

Archibald

Lain

Eriksson

Sauve

Prospects:

Jensen

Gaunce

Horvat

Shinkaruk

Cassels

"B" prospects.

Grenier

Blain

Fox

McNally

Tommernes

Blomstrand

Mallet

Subban

Call me a blind homer wearing rose-coloured glasses if you will, but there is absolutely no comparison to be made between the real state of the Flames organization the last time they made the playoffs, and the Canucks of 2014.

cup run in 04

GM "buys" at deadline

Miss the playoffs

If we want to be Calgary we better do

Horvat for Vanek

Shink+ Gaunce for Ott, Moulson

hmmm what other rental is there.....idk but we are not going down the road Gillis already said No rentals and not intrested in trading our youth so already we doing far better then Calgary in that regard...As oldnews said we have far better prospects atm then Calgary did and we will stay this course and add to it and not take away

lol I'm not surprised.. when was the last time Gillis told us what his real plans are - you don't because you don't talk about potential trades until they're finalized

who saw the Booth, Ballard, Higgins, Lappy, Hodgson, Schneider, or even Weise trade coming? I wouldn't be surprised if he's already approached some of our NTC's and asked for potential deals but only kept them because he doesn't want any leaks that could break off any potential trades

Booth was a minor surprise. Higgins and Lappy were only a surprise in that they worked out better than expected.

I knew Grabner would be traded. With the entire top six coming off a career year, Grabner being waiver elligible, and his penchant for coming to camp in poor shape, it was a no brainer he was going to be moved.

I also fully expected Hodgson to be dealt in the offseason. For months it was no secret he was unhappy with his role and ice time. But when Buffalo offered up exactly what MG had been looking for at the trade deadline he was moved sooner. (And no Buffalo wouldn't have waited until the offseason as they were 3 wins out of a playoff spot and in desperate need of a center)

Schneider was a surprise. Weise not so much given his comments just prior and his history with Torts.

I agree GM's don't talk publicly about trade possibilties. Unless of course the player has made it public he wants to be moved. Other than that we'll never truly know what GM's have been talking or what pieces are being offered/asked for.

Well...poop. Owner is happy. Shows what he actually knows about hockey. Not surprised Gillis thinks everything is all good, that sweaty sack of useless has been oblivious since he came here. "Bold Moves" hasn't made one bold move yet, other than trading a top end goalie for a draft pick.

Also, new coach, new system doesn't cut it in the NHL boys. Seems to me like a nicely built in excuse before this season ever started.

cup run in 04

GM "buys" at deadline

Miss the playoffs

It's called 'chasing the high'.

In other words, you'd rather a GM that chastises players in public for poor play and threatens to trade him?

Great motivation.

NOT!

I did not glean that out of his/her post but I agree that a GM should and typically does steer clear of that type of hyperbole,anyways.

That is normally put on the coach -Booth and Hansen are recent examples of being publicly chastized.It is demeaning,I agree.

Gillis had no problem chastizing Hodgson in public after he traded him,which is much the same thing- "We built him into something we could move" ,"I spent more time on Cody's issues than all the player's combined over the last three years","We made a determination he didn't want to be here..".

I don't see how Gillis thinks that throwing his-or any- NHL player under the bus endears him to anybody in the NHL or anybody in any walk of life.

This is not " great motivation " ,especially if you are another pro player seeing a fellow pro getting thrown under the bus after a trade as the GM tries to lessen the fact he looks like a dufus,only to make himself look like an even bigger one.

When Gillis says everything is going to be ok and it's a process I just laugh because he has a lengthy new contract and it is going to be ok for him.

Pretty much what Eddie Shack said to Daniel in layman's terms,only Gillis uses lawyer speak.

I think there are two separate things going on here Baggins.

1) f the province for speaking for the fans in assuming they've lost confidence in the team.

2) whether misreading Botchford or not - lost faith IN General Manager.

1 - Local sports writers come on here frequently. I don't how many times I've seen articles directly related to active threads on here. Considering the number of moaning threads about MG and the number of trade everybody threads, it's not much of a stretch for a writer to make the leap fans have lost faith in the team. Nothing about fans is an absolute. Not everybody has lost faith, although many have. You don't have to look any further than this board to see more are calling for heads than defending those heads. It's really just a generalization. Life is full of them.

2 - There's nothing in the article about losing faith in Gillis whether you or anybody else has or not. Although I'm surprised he didn't mention that as well. He simply said Gillis hasn't lost faith in the team.

That's a nice story CanucksJay.

But here's where it falls to pieces.

A chapter that you've missed and really should read.

Calgary Flames prospects of 2009:

Lance Bouma

Brett Palin

Keith Aullie

Greg Nemisz

Ryley Grantham

Kris Chucko

John Negrin

TJ Brodie

Jason Jaffray

Anton Stralman

John Armstrong

Cam Cunning

Gaelen Patterson

Michael Backlund

Spencer Bennett

Hugo Carpentier

Brad Cole

Carsen Germyn

Kyle Greentree

Ryan Howse

Josh Myers

Leland Irving

Garth Murray

David Van der Gulik

J.D Watt

David Shantz

Matt Keetley

Daniel Spence

The best among them is Backlund who has broken the 25 point barrier for the first time this year - four years later.

Brodie is a decent NHL defenseman. A marginal depth player in there as well - Bouma. A few others have touched NHL ice.

Add to that the fact that the Flames had absolutely no talent on their roster under the age of 25 in 2009. None whatsoever.

Backlund - that was it - and with all due respect, even he wouldn't crack the roster for two more years.

So let's summarize:

Year 2009 - talent under the age of 25 in the entire Flames organization:

Backlund

Brodie

Bouma

Irving, Stralman, Jaffray, Nemisz?

Year 2014 - talent under the age of 25 in the Canucks organization:

Roster players:

Tanev

Kassian

Stanton

Lack

Schroeder

Roster callups:

Corrado

Dalpe

Archibald

Lain

Eriksson

Sauve

Prospects:

Jensen

Gaunce

Horvat

Shinkaruk

Cassels

"B" prospects.

Grenier

Blain

Fox

McNally

Tommernes

Blomstrand

Mallet

Subban

Call me a blind homer wearing rose-coloured glasses if you will, but there is absolutely no comparison to be made between the real state of the Flames organization the last time they made the playoffs, and the Canucks of 2014.

Canucks are deeper but its no excuse for hanging onto an aging core. The team needs to rebuild. Keep the Sedins but dump the other core players.

Kesler

Burrows

Hansen

Higgins

Hamhuis

Bieska

Edler

Garrison

Luongo.

Get what we can. If we cant get first rounders, then package 2 of them up to get one. prospects under 21 or picks.

1 - Local sports writers come on here frequently. I don't how many times I've seen articles directly related to active threads on here. Considering the number of moaning threads about MG and the number of trade everybody threads, it's not much of a stretch for a writer to make the leap fans have lost faith in the team. Nothing about fans is an absolute. Not everybody has lost faith, although many have. You don't have to look any further than this board to see more are calling for heads than defending those heads. It's really just a generalization. Life is full of them.

2 - There's nothing in the article about losing faith in Gillis whether you or anybody else has or not. Although I'm surprised he didn't mention that as well. He simply said Gillis hasn't lost faith in the team.

True, but Botchford made a point of claiming that "they've lost the confidence their most devoted fans have in them."

Therein lies the audacity imo. It's typical Botchford though. Why bother say something reasonable when you can say something inflammatory? Regardless of generalizations, there are a whole lot of people that haven't lost confidence in this team - and Botchford has pretended to speak for them as well. I think it would take much more than one month and a 7 game losing streak to get that result - particularly given the reality of the health of the roster.

Canucks are deeper but its no excuse for hanging onto an aging core. The team needs to rebuild. Keep the Sedins but dump the other core players.

Kesler

Burrows

Hansen

Higgins

Hamhuis

Bieska

Edler

Garrison

Luongo.

Get what we can. If we cant get first rounders, then package 2 of them up to get one. prospects under 21 or picks.

There's a team in Northern Alberta you might prefer.