The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis Re: Canucks "We're Going to be all Right"; Aquilini "2014 Canucks are NOT the REAL Canucks"

Vancouver Canucks 30

True, but Botchford made a point of claiming that "they've lost the confidence their most devoted fans have in them."

Therein lies the audacity imo. It's typical Botchford though. Why bother say something reasonable when you can say something inflammatory? Regardless of generalizations, there are a whole lot of people that haven't lost confidence in this team - and Botchford has pretended to speak for them as well. I think it would take much more than one month and a 7 game losing streak to get that result - particularly given the reality of the health of the roster.

Did you know there is a difference between losing confidence in -well not YOUR team- the city's team and the players currently on it? Big difference between the two.

It comes from decades of experience watching cycles of the team. When you get it, you wont care about what Botchford or Gallagher writes because you will have heard it all before.

When trying to figure out what is actually going on, try to use all the facts. Not the ones you personally want to cherry pick. That takes courage. Use that strength to look at things you dont want to look at, but are realities.

Your post makes no sense.

If you want a club made of youngsters / draft picks, there's a ready made option for you.

On the other hand, if you're expecting Kesler, Burrows, Higgins, Hansen, Hamhuis, Garrison, Bieksa, Edler and Luongo to be dealt for picks, I think you've set yourself up for a world of frustration/disappointment.

I think one of those guys is likely to move on this summer - Luongo - and aside from him, I'd guess that one other is a maybe.

Did you know there is a difference between losing confidence in -well not YOUR team- the city's team and the players currently on it? Big difference between the two.

It comes from decades of experience watching cycles of the team. When you get it, you wont care about what Botchford or Gallagher writes because you will have heard it all before.

When trying to figure out what is actually going on, try to use all the facts. Not the ones you personally want to cherry pick. That takes courage. Use that strength to look at things you dont want to look at, but are realities.

No offense but...

You're trying too hard.

This isn't a matter of "facts".

Six losses in October.

The team was also healthy in November-five losses in a row and eight losses in thirteen games.

Ten losses in January with a couple of three-game losing streaks.

Four games in and four consecutive losses in February.

Tenth in the West and 21st in the league.

Everything is ok.

I agree. People have to stop panicking. This team has pure talent.

Just a nut job coach.

Really apollo?

That nut job coach has something not a single member of your "pure talent" core does. A Stanley Cup ring.

The problem with talking out of your a$$ is that everything you say sounds like $#!+.

Six losses in October.

The team was also healthy in November-five losses in a row and eight losses in thirteen games.

Ten losses in January with a couple of three-game losing streaks.

Four games in and four consecutive losses in February.

Tenth in the West and 21st in the league.

Everything is ok.

I dont blame guys like Old News who want to believe in what they want to see. I can relate to thinking that way.............like back in the 1980s :lol:

When we perpetually had a 'little engine that could' team that could squeak into the playoffs and be the Cinderella special :) . Yet we rarely did and ended up going nowhere with mid level draft picks (and lousy uniforms too)

Our core is 34, 33 33 and 29 years old. They have won ONE playoff game in the last 3 years and probably wouldnt win another even if we made it this year.

Its delusional to think a core that old is just going to magically regain its 2011 form and be actual contenders. So , do we want to be Winnipeg ? Calgary? No.

Dump what we can and rebuild. Its called being honest with ourselves and caring about the franchise for the long term. We just had a good team for 13 years. We can handle not making the playoffs for a couple of years.

I really like the Colorado and Tampa mode of building. Make the playoffs but when you tank ,TANK to get the top 3 pick.

if mike gillis and Francesco think that we will buy this propaganda they are both dumber than we thought they were ... and folks , thats not saying much ..

this city is now mostly apethetic about this team .. its becoming more obvious every day.. the owner got his big tv deal so i guess he's not panicking .. and the gm not only lying to himself but to us .. we deserve better .. and theres nothing we can do about it .. what did we do to deserve this mess ?.. Id be lying if I said that this doesn't hurt me deeply .. God damn .. we've done everything a fan could do .. and this is how we are repaid ? how unjust ...

Well...poop. Owner is happy. Shows what he actually knows about hockey. Not surprised Gillis thinks everything is all good, that sweaty sack of useless has been oblivious since he came here. "Bold Moves" hasn't made one bold move yet, other than trading a top end goalie for a draft pick.

Also, new coach, new system doesn't cut it in the NHL boys. Seems to me like a nicely built in excuse before this season ever started.

I remember I went to a baby shower party and I bought this rocking chair right? So we take it out of the box and and it's the biggest present the newborn has in his life. We're about twenty people. So we put the vibrating chair on the floor, the baby goes and and we turn it on.

And we're all staring.

And someone says: "We'll that's that then".

The bold moves are not necessarily explosive in nature.

That's a nice story CanucksJay.

But here's where it falls to pieces.

A chapter that you've missed and really should read.

Calgary Flames prospects of 2009:

Lance Bouma

Brett Palin

Keith Aullie

Greg Nemisz

Ryley Grantham

Kris Chucko

John Negrin

TJ Brodie

Jason Jaffray

Anton Stralman

John Armstrong

Cam Cunning

Gaelen Patterson

Michael Backlund

Spencer Bennett

Hugo Carpentier

Brad Cole

Carsen Germyn

Kyle Greentree

Ryan Howse

Josh Myers

Leland Irving

Garth Murray

David Van der Gulik

J.D Watt

David Shantz

Matt Keetley

Daniel Spence

The best among them is Backlund who has broken the 25 point barrier for the first time this year - four years later.

Brodie is a decent NHL defenseman. A marginal depth player in there as well - Bouma. A few others have touched NHL ice.

Add to that the fact that the Flames had absolutely no talent on their roster under the age of 25 in 2009. None whatsoever.

Backlund - that was it - and with all due respect, even he wouldn't crack the roster for two more years.

So let's summarize:

Year 2009 - talent under the age of 25 in the entire Flames organization:

Backlund

Brodie

Bouma

Irving, Stralman, Jaffray, Nemisz?

Year 2014 - talent under the age of 25 in the Canucks organization:

Roster players:

Tanev

Kassian

Stanton

Lack

Schroeder

Roster callups:

Corrado

Dalpe

Archibald

Lain

Eriksson

Sauve

Prospects:

Jensen

Gaunce

Horvat

Shinkaruk

Cassels

"B" prospects.

Grenier

Blain

Fox

McNally

Tommernes

Blomstrand

Mallet

Subban

Call me a blind homer wearing rose-coloured glasses if you will, but there is absolutely no comparison to be made between the real state of the Flames organization the last time they made the playoffs, and the Canucks of 2014.

I should leave it to you to pick your spots nicely when presenting an argument.

So you only name Flames prospects outside of the NHL but when you talk about the Canucks, you also conveniently include our roster players? That doesn't seem fair does it? LOL...way to pick and choose...

Also, i would take quality over quantity any day. Who cares if you name guys like Mallet and Blain?

Do you think your list looks more impressive because it's longer?

If anything, you should weed out the crap and actually compare top players in the organization 25 and under RATHER than picking your spots like you just did.

And also, Lack is 26

So then, top Flames players 25 and under in 2009

Giordano

Phaneuf

Bouwmeester

Backlund

Pardy

Prust

These guys are all NHLers including (in sequential order) 2 NHL Team Captains, and an Olympian on the Canadian Team, and one of them just won NHL 3rd star of the week, and we would take the last guy on our team with open arms for our 4th line.

Canucks top players 25 or under

Kassian

Stanton

Tanev

Horvat

Shink

Corrado

Do you think any of them will ever be team captain or play for the Olympic team for Canada? Maybe Horvat?

Although I think Horvat and Shink will make the Bigs, there is still a question as to whether they will be stars. (I think and hope they will but you never know) I will be happy if Corrado turns out to be a solid 5th d-man

For the people that want to add other guys like Jensen, Gaunce,Dalpe,Schroeder,, Fox, newsflash... The rest of the NHL do not care about guys like that. You think we are deep because we have them? Every organization has players like that. I'm talking guys that will be fringe players in the NHL... Problem is, we don't know about them just like how they don't know much about the guys I just mentioned.

Yes Canucks do have the edge in numbers I admit, but we are really not much better. In fact its actually quite close. Time for you to take off your homer glasses...

3rd and 4th liners can be had as FAs for 2m and under. For all I care, as long as Vancouver drafts one actual star that will be an impact player in the NHL per draft year and trade the rest of the picks, it really wouldn't bother me. You can always find adequate guys to fill the 3rd and 4th lines.

So yeah, name the longest list of Canucks prospects you can find, but what actually results in the success of the team is the top end talent. The rest are just fillers and there are tons of those available league wide

I should leave it to you to pick your spots nicely when presenting an argument.

So you only name Flames prospects outside of the NHL but when you talk about the Canucks, you also conveniently include our roster players? That doesn't seem fair does it? LOL...way to pick and choose...

So then, top Flames players 25 and under in 2009

Giordano

Phaneuf

Bouwmeester

Backlund

Pardy

Prust

You're struggling with your facts CanucksJay and the parameters (as was clearly stated - under 25).

An actual source here as apparently you need some help with them.

http://www.hockeydb....0000432010.html

Giordano was 25.

Bouwmeester was 25.

Phaneuf was dealt to the Leafs.

Pardy was 25.

Prust was dealt to the Rangers.

So, to clarify once again - the Flames had Backlund, Brodie and Bouma under the age of 25.

You can add Nigel Dawes who was shipped to Atlanta, or Brett Sutter who'd go on to play 4 more games as a Flame if it pleases you.

If you'd think adding Bouwmeester and Giordano equalizes that gap between the franchises, I think you'd be looking through bullcrap stained glasses. Pardy went on to play 30 more games with the Flames.

Ironically, four years later, Bouwmeester, one of the guys you're hoping to include in that list of youth, is dealt as part of an aging core in the Flames actual 'rebuild'. Imo, that's about how strong your analogy is.

The thing is - if in those four years that transpired they'd actually managed to come up with a prospect or two to work into their lineup, things may not have been so bleak.

If you think the state of these organizations is "quite close" I'd say you're about as in tune with reality as your GM Feaster was.

Archived