The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Discussing Edler for Franzen Trade w/ Detroit, Interest in Gaborik/Vanek/Moulson, Calls on Kesler

Yeah right... I'll ask for a 1st rounder just to off set the burden of taking on Franzen... and then amnesty his ass in the off season. (Yes I would rather keep Booth for another year than Franzen for 6 more).

Or just keep Edler.

First of all Mike Gillis is an idiot if any if this is true.

To continue, I'm pretty sure Detroit already said they aren't willing to part with their young players because they will be taking over in the future.

Moulson, Vanek, and Gaborik are all going to be UFA's at years end and Gillis said he won't be going after any rental players. I know he said that if he has a good chance at re-signing the player a deal could work, but you can literally say that with any rental player.

I also don't understand this massive hate for Alex Edler, he is a good player having a hard time. He has been scoring in his own net (accidentally*) as of late but so did Hamhuis, Garrison, and Bieksa. Dan Hamhuis hasn't been amazing since last season, Kevin Bieksa is starting to look like he is dropping off somewhat, and Jason Garrison has been all kinds of bad since he got here. Every player has had their good moments, but I have to say the most useless defenseman is Jason Garrison.

Jason Garrison is not that physical, he doesn't put up those great offensive points, he has bad position many times, he is notorious for screening his own goalies, he many times gets out the way of a shot, and he gets caught chasing players in his own zone. He still has a cannon of a shot, he can make a nice pass, when he has the puck (in own zone) he gets it out, and he is a big guy. Overall, I'm going to say Edler is better than Garrison and that we should trade Garrison.

This management team is stupid because they are trying to make all of our defenseman into TWD, which makes no sense. Dan Hamhuis was an awesome DFD, but after the Finals the Canucks tried to push him and make him a TWD which hasn't worked well. Kevin Bieksa is a natural TWD so he fits that position well, especially on the right side. Alex Edler is NOT, at all, a TWD. He can be a great OFD or DFD, but he cannot play a two-way game that's why he's having problems. Jason Garrison used to be a DFD, but then became a TWD. He played better when he was a DFD with a guy like Brian Campbell that's what got him his success.

I would say what the Canucks NEED is a 1st line scorer (obvious), 2nd line playmaker, and a top 4 DFD or OFD. These type of players are not easy to get, we will have to give up a nice piece for one of those players but it is what the team is lacking.

Would be a massive move if happened. Kes being a fan fav and a lot the fans cheer about and purchase, but this would be historic if he was traded. Doubt he is but if he was, you're dead right...his value would be worth the ceiling++

Depends on what is offered or what direction Gillis wants to take, Pittsburgh has some interesting prospects or St Louis who have some good youngsters..Christ even Boston or Tampa.

There is no chance that any of those rumours (other than calls about kesler) are true... yes please lets trade our mid 20s dman on a reasonable contract for players in their mid 30's on 11 year deals with single digit goals.. sounds like exactly what we would be looking for :rolleyes:

if we needed cap coming back it wouldnt be for a 34 yr old signed for 6 more years, whos had injury problems. Id rather take samuelsson and quincey atleast both are ufa.

if mg Moves edler for franzen he better get 2 of nyquist,jurco,mantha sheahan and oulett/sproul and a 1st

We get an aging player while trade a d man signed during his prime? Hell no!

are they taking booth or burrows back? Franzen is so injury prone played 80 games once in his career, never topped 60 points. Put his age aand injuries plus his contract I think its not worth considering.

his last 3 postseasons havent been that great.

if we was healthy and playing well it would be a bit different. I dont want us trading for an older injured player if we move edler. I hope this rumour is just a rumour and nothing more

Gaborik must have an incredible turn around to his career to be called a sniper again. Yes he scored 41 with the rangers 2 years ago but this guy is no where near his old self and has proven to be quite brittle, so no thanks to Marion. As for Franzen we dont need another average aging winger on our roster . We need point per game players, goal scorers not guys in the twilight of their careers. I just dont get why everyone is so hell bent on getting rid of Edler for sub par returns.

Archived