The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Discussing Edler for Franzen Trade w/ Detroit, Interest in Gaborik/Vanek/Moulson, Calls on Kesler

Big name no but smaller names that have played big roles yes...Its not all about signing the best available its about getting whats needed(Malholtra/Richardson for 3C for example) Does he need to sign a Vanek or a Moulson in this coming offseason? IMO no need to get a better supporting cast like Hemsky or Setoguchi...

As I said in another thread I would rather 3 average goal scorers then 1 elite

this is the mentality that's lead to this extremely average canucks team.

you're only as good as your best players.

this is the mentality that's lead to this extremely average canucks team.

you're only as good as your best players.

Anaheim has 2 elite players and a lot of average in their lineup how is it working atm

How about Boston?

Pittsburgh?

Toronto?

Montreal?

How is LA allstar roster working? Their struggling

If everybody can play and put up decent numbers does that not make a far better team then a lot of allstars crammed together and told to make it work?

Didn't Gillis say he WOULD NOT approach anyone with an NTC on team1040 a few days ago? (which is like half the team)..... What is going on in Gillis' mind?.. Getting a former agent and making him GM was the stupidest move ever... "No room for feelings" eh? What a hypocrite.

Didn't Gillis say he WOULD NOT approach anyone with an NTC on team1040 a few days ago? (which is like half the team)..... What is going on in Gillis' mind?.. Getting a former agent and making him GM was the stupidest move ever... "No room for feelings" eh? What a hypocrite.

No that is not what he said. Gillis said that none of his players with a NTC has approached him yet about trade talks and such. He did not say that he would not approach anyone with a NTC and ask them to waive it if there is a deal in place.

I watched Ryan Kesler's reaction on the ice following the infamous "Game 7 SCF" in Vancouver. He was absolutely devastated and sat on the ice, back to the boards, tears streaming down his face. He REALLY wanted to win that cup and came soooo close.

The way the current team is headed, I could see him putting out feelers to MG regarding a trade. Likely would happen in the off season. If he has a strong showing for USA in the Olympics, his stock will rise significantly and teams will be very interested in his services. Just watch him play his guts out in Sochi and attract lots of attention.

Yes, I can see him waiving his NTC to have the chance to play for a real contender next season.

First of all Mike Gillis is an idiot if any if this is true.

To continue, I'm pretty sure Detroit already said they aren't willing to part with their young players because they will be taking over in the future.

Moulson, Vanek, and Gaborik are all going to be UFA's at years end and Gillis said he won't be going after any rental players. I know he said that if he has a good chance at re-signing the player a deal could work, but you can literally say that with any rental player.

I also don't understand this massive hate for Alex Edler, he is a good player having a hard time. He has been scoring in his own net (accidentally*) as of late but so did Hamhuis, Garrison, and Bieksa. Dan Hamhuis hasn't been amazing since last season, Kevin Bieksa is starting to look like he is dropping off somewhat, and Jason Garrison has been all kinds of bad since he got here. Every player has had their good moments, but I have to say the most useless defenseman is Jason Garrison.

Jason Garrison is not that physical, he doesn't put up those great offensive points, he has bad position many times, he is notorious for screening his own goalies, he many times gets out the way of a shot, and he gets caught chasing players in his own zone. He still has a cannon of a shot, he can make a nice pass, when he has the puck (in own zone) he gets it out, and he is a big guy. Overall, I'm going to say Edler is better than Garrison and that we should trade Garrison.

This management team is stupid because they are trying to make all of our defenseman into TWD, which makes no sense. Dan Hamhuis was an awesome DFD, but after the Finals the Canucks tried to push him and make him a TWD which hasn't worked well. Kevin Bieksa is a natural TWD so he fits that position well, especially on the right side. Alex Edler is NOT, at all, a TWD. He can be a great OFD or DFD, but he cannot play a two-way game that's why he's having problems. Jason Garrison used to be a DFD, but then became a TWD. He played better when he was a DFD with a guy like Brian Campbell that's what got him his success.

I would say what the Canucks NEED is a 1st line scorer (obvious), 2nd line playmaker, and a top 4 DFD or OFD. These type of players are not easy to get, we will have to give up a nice piece for one of those players but it is what the team is lacking.

And two-way contracts mean a player is waiver wire exempt, amirite?

PS: Your EA Sports is showing.

When healthy, Franzen is the perfect winger for the Sedins.

Problem is he's older now and staying healthy is much more unlikely.

If the Wings sweetened the deal by adding Smith and a pick or a prospect I would do it. Edler isn't filling the role he was signed for on this team.

Franzen is interesting, and as noted old. But he is big, has some speed, and is both crafty & talented.

Interesting if we get young defender Smith to ultimately replace / surpass Edler's current offensive value on the blue line. Not sure if that is enough...

If this "report" is to be believed, does Mike Gillis REALLY want to play with fire and be known as an NHL GM who first gives players No Trade clauses only to later ask said player(s) to waive it for HIS benefit so he can improve the team that HE built?

Don't look for any impact UFA's to come to Van City for the entire duration of his tenure as GM if so.

If Edler was playing like the 5 million dollar player he was signed to be, there would be no issue.

If Edler is asked to be traded it's because he's not fulfilling his part of his contract. Hockey is a business.

For those complaining about the length of Franzen's contract, Edler is signed to an even more expensive contract for almost as long. Franzen would be a perfect player to try to get the twins going. I'd rather have a 34 year old who's still useful than a 27 year old defenseman who's already a complete liability and is getting worse every season.

For those complaining about the length of Franzen's contract, Edler is signed to an even more expensive contract for almost as long. Franzen would be a perfect player to try to get the twins going. I'd rather have a 34 year old who's still useful than a 27 year old defenseman who's already a complete liability and is getting worse every season.

how well would that look in 2 years when franzen (36) cant even mustard up 50 games a season while edler (29) is putting up 50 pts in Detroit's system?

how well would that look in 2 years when franzen cant even mustard up 50 games a season while edler is putting up 50 pts in Detroit's system?

At least Franzen isn't a giant liability in his own end. Even if Edler manages to put up 50 points, his play in his own end is so terrible that he'd still be hurting the team. He's had 2 coaches and a lot of time to learn how to play defense; judging by the way he plays, he is either too stupid or too lazy to do so. At this point, he's much closer to Keith Ballard than to Lidstrom.

how well would that look in 2 years when franzen (36) cant even mustard up 50 games a season while edler (29) is putting up 50 pts in Detroit's system?

He would be putting up 50 points because Detroit has better forwards and a better powerplay.

He's already showing that he can't put up points here unless we have a top powerplay.

At least Franzen isn't a giant liability in his own end. Even if Edler manages to put up 50 points, his play in his own end is so terrible that he'd still be hurting the team. He's had 2 coaches and a lot of time to learn how to play defense; judging by the way he plays, he is either too stupid or too lazy to do so. At this point, he's much closer to Keith Ballard than to Lidstrom.

first of all only an ignorant goof would take any player to lindstrom comparisons serious. your not an ignorant goof are you?

now that we put that to rest, franzens best days are behind him. hes running out tof time every day to prove that wrong. in the past he was often playing on lines with datsyuk or zetterberg. 2 elite forwards well knowm for their play at BOTH ends of the ice. if you remove franzen from that and insert him with 2 other struggling aging forwards (the twins), they will not flourish whatsoever.

now im not saying franzen wouldn't be a nice peice in a package for edler. but he would only be a peice in an EQUAL package.

something like franzen+1st/nyquist/mantha/jurco would be in order to fetch elder and maybe a small peice.

you have to remember Detroit has been wanting edler for some years now. if they wamt him they must pay the price. I dont think gillis can afford to.lose any more trades and he knows it.

Archived