The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Discussing Edler for Franzen Trade w/ Detroit, Interest in Gaborik/Vanek/Moulson, Calls on Kesler

trading kesler the best two way center this team has or Edler the only d-man that hits is two steps backwards.

first vancouver needs to get a second line center that can do the things Kes does because this team has nobody to fill that role

so trading him make no sense at all.

trading edler although the CDC new whipping boy is actually probably the closest thing this team has to a top d-man

both are torts type players. i don't see either going anywhere.

I'm pretty sure all of these players except Fox and Gaunce will be going back to the juniors again next year if they don't crack the Canucks.

I dont see the point of that. Horvat is playing extremely well and this will be his 3rd complete OHL season and (if his numbers keep up) he will have added 30 + points to his previous season totals. Whats the point in keeping him in the OHL? Cassels is on a very similar trajectory in his 3rd year in the O. Shinkaruk will be 20 at the beginning of the 2014/15 AHL season.

trading kesler the best two way center this team has or Edler the only d-man that hits is two steps backwards.

first vancouver needs to get a second line center that can do the things Kes does because this team has nobody to fill that role

so trading him make no sense at all.

trading edler although the CDC new whipping boy is actually probably the closest thing this team has to a top d-man

I'm kinda thinking this would be the right way to go. If we can find a good young winger for Kesler for cheap and find a reliable defenceman to play with Edler instead of trading the two I think we'd be competitive for at least 3 more seasons.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Burrows - Kesler - _____

Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen

Sestito - Richardson - Dalpe

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Tanev

Stanton - Garrison

Luongo

Lack

Would an Edler - Tanev pair work?

I think the birth date cut off is actually Sept 15 but you are right he is eligible because of his Junior experience.

The sept. 15th birthday cut-off is pertaining to junior and the draft eligibility.

It has no bearing on their ability to play in the AHL.

Shinkaruk is eligible to play regardless of his age because he has completed 4 seasons of junior. Even if he hadn't played 4 years, after he spends a few games with the big club to start the year they could send him down to Utica after his birthday.

I'm kinda thinking this would be the right way to go. If we can find a good young winger for Kesler for cheap and find a reliable defenceman to play with Edler instead of trading the two I think we'd be competitive for at least 3 more seasons.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Burrows - Kesler - _____

Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen

Sestito - Richardson - Dalpe

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Tanev

Stanton - Garrison

Luongo

Lack

Would an Edler - Tanev pair work?

I think Edler and Tanev has the makings of a great pair. In the right circumstance.

IMO it would work if we let Hamhuis / Bieksa or Hamhuis / Garrison do the heavy lifting as the top defensive match up. And, go back to using Edler more exclusively in an offensive (sheltered ? :rolleyes: ) role. Hey we scored a lot of points giving the Twins and Edler O'zone starts the last few years...

It could let Edler pinch and move up ice to attack more readily, generally be more aggressive. as Tanev has both the positioning, and close out speed to help cover any mistakes. That confidence lets a guy be aggressive. He's also a pretty great passer himself?

I also think it would be good for Tanev. In his "stopper" role, he is still only 185 lbs and lets face it; he was injured at the end of last year, he's injured now. He gets beat up! I see Tanev as our best option to play with Edler.

And if its truly "sheltered," Diaz is our most skilled puck handler. Play him in O'zone starts with Eddie. Just Tanev makes them better in defensive situations as well.

I like Tanev with Edler on paper. He can cover his butt, and Eddie is a better passer than Hamhuis, so it could translate to the PP as I think Tanev is just scratching his offensive potential. He has good vision from the blue line to pass the puck, kinda lost down low, and doesn't use his shot as much as he should. It's much improved from when we all make jokes his rookie season.

Archived