The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who killed Canada Post’s banking study?

Jimayo

Canada Post Corporation (CPC) conducted a secret four-year study on postal banking, which seems to indicate that getting into financial services would be “a win-win strategy” and a “proven money-maker” for the corporation.

CPC's research study was stopped cold in the fall of 2013, just before the post office announced a five-point plan of massive cuts and steep rate hikes.

Blacklock's Reporter obtained the internal report, including a management report entitled Banking: A Proven Diversification Strategy, through an Access to Information request.

701 of its 811 pages were redacted.

"Based on what we have learned so far," says Gayle Bossenberry, 1st National Vice-President of the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW), "it seems the report was on track to confirm the recommendations of the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives (CCPA), and vindicate what postal workers have been saying: there's a great potential here to keep the public postal service self-sufficient. But instead they killed the research and buried the report."

Other countries like Switzerland, New Zealand, Italy, and France have bolstered the fortunes of their post offices with revenues from postal banking.

In these countries, the public enjoys a stable public postal service, and increased access to banking.

According to the Blacklock’s article on the report, John Anderson -- author of the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternative's 2013 paper on postal banking -- was surprised by the CPC study but not its content:

"I think anyone seriously studying the subject would see the same opportunity. With 6500 post offices, Canada Post could have the most extensive financial services infrastructure in the country, right off the bat."

"If they were looking at postal banking, why did they consistently tell CUPW that it was not an option they would consider?” asked Bossenberry, adding “And who killed the study?"

http://www.sootoday....medium=facebook

Geez, why would they kibosh a potential revenue increase while gutting canada post?

Because it's not about increasing government revenue.

After reaching record profit levels they first they take 6 billion from the employee pension fund and build a bunch of factories(supposedly for sorting) that they don't use. Then they kibosh a report about increasing revenue in a way that benefits the average canadian. Then they cry about how they are losing money now because letter mail volumes are down(but no mention of paying back money they borrowed being what kills the profitable because mismanagement being the cause would kill their narrative and certainly no mention that addressed ad-mail, flyer and package volumes, you know, the profitable mail, are way, way up). Then they attack the union, blaming the employees for the revenue decrease, knowing the average canadian will never figure out it's because of (intentional?)mismanagement and not high salaries.

The class war is being fought and won by the conservatives and their wealthy patrons. The end goal, as I see it, is wage roll backs to increase profitability before privatising that "boondoggle".

http://www.sootoday....medium=facebook

Geez, why would they kibosh a potential revenue increase while gutting canada post?

Because it's not about increasing government revenue.

After reaching record profit levels they first they take 6 billion from the employee pension fund and build a bunch of factories(supposedly for sorting) that they don't use. Then they kibosh a report about increasing revenue in a way that benefits the average canadian. Then they cry about how they are losing money now because letter mail volumes are down(but no mention of paying back money they borrowed being what kills the profitable because mismanagement being the cause would kill their narrative and certainly no mention that addressed ad-mail, flyer and package volumes, you know, the profitable mail, are way, way up). Then they attack the union, blaming the employees for the revenue decrease, knowing the average canadian will never figure out it's because of (intentional?)mismanagement and not high salaries.

The class war is being fought and won by the conservatives and their wealthy patrons. The end goal, as I see it, is wage roll backs to increase profitability before privatising that "boondoggle".

It's both.

When you have to pay mail sorters 100k per year plus pension and benefits, it's very difficult to turn a profit.

It's both.

When you have to pay mail sorters 100k per year plus pension and benefits, it's very difficult to turn a profit.

I would like to know the source from where you got that information from. I know someone who is a mail sorter and makes no where close to that... These salaries are more acceptable http://www.payscale.com/research/CA/Job=Postal_Service_Mail_Sorter_%2f_Processor_or_Processing_Machine_Operator/Hourly_Rate

It's both.

My wife is a sorter. There are no full time sorters anymore so they are only guaranteed 20 hours a week at $23.95/hr. 20x23.95x52 = $24908/hr. So you are a liar who is actively working to kill middle class jobs.

My wife is a sorter. There are no full time sorters anymore so they are only guaranteed 20 hours a week at $23.95/hr. 20x23.95x52 = $24908/hr yr. So you are a liar who is actively working to kill middle class jobs.

Fixed before inbreds jump all over you.

My wife is a sorter. There are no full time sorters anymore so they are only guaranteed 20 hours a week at $23.95/hr. 20x23.95x52 = $24908/hr. So you are a liar who is actively working to kill middle class jobs.

They may not hire full time anymore, but there are plenty of people working there full time.

Those people also get priority for overtime, which is based on seniority. The same employees also make upwards of forty an hour. Factor in a few hours a week of double time and a half and 100k comes pretty quickly.

I have two clients who were mail sorters. I saw both of their tax returns and employment files. They were making 85 to 110k per year. Ridiculous amounts of vacation. Full pension. They sorted mail.

They may not hire full time anymore, but there are plenty of people working there full time.

Those people also get priority for overtime, which is based on seniority. The same employees also make upwards of forty an hour. Factor in a few hours a week of double time and a half and 100k comes pretty quickly.

I have two clients who were mail sorters. I saw both of their tax returns and employment files. They were making 85 to 110k per year. Ridiculous amounts of vacation. Full pension. They sorted mail.

I'm still gonna call you a liar. Double time and a half? No. Double time is the highest and requires more than 10 hours work in 1 day. And 40/hr? Like I said, my wife works there, it's $23.95/hr.

I'm still gonna call you a liar. Double time and a half? No. Double time is the highest and requires more than 10 hours work in 1 day. And 40/hr? Like I said, my wife works there, it's $23.95/hr.

You honestly expect us to believe that people don't get raises there ever. ... It's a union.

Lets just end this conversation by saying you were assuming everyone got paid that salary while maybe less than 10 percent do? Time to move along...

That guy say who said NO ONE makes $100,000 must be wrong if SOME make $100,000. He was calling the other guy a liar which is a very strong statement.

This is such a colossal load of crap.. my parents both worked at the post office full time.. my mother from the time she was 18 until she retired a couple years ago.. she made barely over $20 an hour at retirement and was one of the top for seniority.

I've hired green labourers on construction sites with no experience for the same wage.

After 35 years of work they were getting like 6 weeks of holidays which is hardly extravagant for that much time put in .. you are a liar.

It's always someone working in the industry that defends the workers.

A while ago, teachers were on strike and the methodology of the strike takes kids as pawns. Of course, teachers had to insist that the strike (which means no teaching and kids don't learn anything either) was for their benefit.

I believe the teachers - but i also feel that some teachers are mouthpieces for the unions.

The concept of having a union is good, but it's about a sheep mentality. Anyone who strays away from the union's interests will be bullied.

I can remember when Jinny Sims' was in charge of the BCTF (She possibly still is)... wow... she was ruthless.

It's always someone working in the industry that defends the workers.

A while ago, teachers were on strike and the methodology of the strike takes kids as pawns. Of course, teachers had to insist that the strike (which means no teaching and kids don't learn anything either) was for their benefit.

I believe the teachers - but i also feel that some teachers are mouthpieces for the unions.

The concept of having a union is good, but it's about a sheep mentality. Anyone who strays away from the union's interests will be bullied.

I can remember when Jinny Sims' was in charge of the BCTF (She possibly still is)... wow... she was ruthless.

I don't work in the industry.. but people saying postal workers make 100k + per year are full of sh#t.

Its always people out of the industry that have political slants making up wild stories that have ZERO basis in fact and zero evidence.

Before the invention of online billing, I had to have bills resent multiple times because some blockhead at Canada Post lost my mail. Considering the amount of money they make, you would expect them to at least be competent at their job.

Someone said they didn't get their bill... so of course it was lost in the mail.. sure thing.

And taking home around 35000 a year sure is living the highlife... 35000 is the new 100k haven't you heard.

Archived