The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who killed Canada Post’s banking study?

Jimayo

I cant recall any real problem with not getting bills or other important mail and Ive been around a lot longer than most on these forums. Am I lucky or do I just have a bad memory? Bit of both probably. Man, I can barely remember what it was like mailing cheques to city hall and other places to pay for utilities and cable and all that. Stamps and envelopes.So much tedious messing around that takes less than 5 minutes at my comp now. I want that time back. I could have learned Spanish.

So whats the secret strategy to make Canada Post self sufficient? Put a Tim Hortons in every location? Or just accept closures, limited service and the tax payers dumping money in the hole.

How old are you?

You need to start asking around. No one will probably tell you what the people who've been in the union for twenty years are making, but it's more than you think. I've seen the tax returns and employment files.

Many of them are probably doing half the work of you too. If anyone should be mad it's you. You're the one who is going to get the axe, because the system is bloated.

Government jobs have published pay structures. It's not too hard to find out what position someone is occupying, and then figure out their range of salary.

I can't see a lot of the letter carriers getting regular overtime - until recently, anyways. The ones I knew usually completed their routes ahead of time.

Government jobs have published pay structures. It's not too hard to find out what position someone is occupying, and then figure out their range of salary.

I can't see a lot of the letter carriers getting regular overtime - until recently, anyways. The ones I knew usually completed their routes ahead of time.

The returns I saw came from the sorters. I've been looking for the the posted wages online. Please post them if you find them.

I think the issue is the union forces pay raises across the board. Some positions allow for more hours and overtime. As wages creep into the 30+/hr range over time, some employees end up making six figures.

Jesus man just give up the nonsense my parents both worked there their entire adult lives, they were as high up as you could be without being management and were asked many times to be management but prefered going out on their routes.. the raises they were receiving during strikes with the union were on the level of .25 to .50 cents an hour. You do not know what you are taking about and yes Letter carriers and sorters with DECADES in the union top out at a little more than $20 something an hour.. or did for the last 30 years and recently the wages for new hires went way way down.

You clearly have an issue with unions and are using that to just make things up. Multiple posters here that actually work and get paid or have family members that do have told you that you are wrong.

You clearly have a personal interest in this that is clouding your judgement. If employees are starting at around $18/hr, there's not a chance you to out at 20 after 30 years.

The returns I saw came from the sorters. I've been looking for the the posted wages online. Please post them if you find them.

I think the issue is the union forces pay raises across the board. Some positions allow for more hours and overtime. As wages creep into the 30+/hr range over time, some employees end up making six figures.

If one makes 30/hr in OT, that means they make 20 regular time. Therefore, they make roughly 40k before OT (working 40 hours/week), and would need to work another 40 hours/week to hit 60k in OT pay to end up at 100k. That 100k would take 80 hours/week to earn.

At 30/hr (45 OT), one would have to work about 57 hours to hit 100k. Considering starting wage for carriers is 19, I'd imagine that would take a lot of time to get to. At that point, I'm not sure many folks would be working 11 hours every day to hit 100k.

I gotta side with the CP employee, CP employees' kid, and others and say bull-****ing-sh*t. Talk about a "personal interest".

A failing of most, or sometimes all of us, is to view the other guy as having it too good.

When that pay is coming from my taxes to provide a service that I know longer want or need or see any sort of future in nor have a bevy of reliable alternatives to provide the same services then no matter what that guy is making they have it too good.

When someone says said service should start competing in the private marketplace in order to prop up it's outdated model then it's getting even worse. If I want to invest I should be able to make that decision myself not have the government try to shoehorn that investment (whether I like it or not) into it's own bloated beaurocracy.

Instead of doing banking studies just sell the freaking post office and then we will see how it does in the private world. If that private industry wants to be in the banking business all the power to them!

You clearly have a personal interest in this that is clouding your judgement. If employees are starting at around $18/hr, there's not a chance you to out at 20 after 30 years.

And you are WRONG as stated by people that work there and people that live/d in households with people that worked there for decades. Jesus man.

When that pay is coming from my taxes to provide a service that I know longer want or need or see any sort of future in nor have a bevy of reliable alternatives to provide the same services then no matter what that guy is making they have it too good.

When someone says said service should start competing in the private marketplace in order to prop up it's outdated model then it's getting even worse. If I want to invest I should be able to make that decision myself not have the government try to shoehorn that investment (whether I like it or not) into it's own bloated beaurocracy.

Instead of doing banking studies just sell the freaking post office and then we will see how it does in the private world. If that private industry wants to be in the banking business all the power to them!

Because a functioning and reliable national postal service isn't one of the hallmarks for a modern functioning state :rolleyes:

And i bet not one dollar of your tax dollars goes to canada post.. prove me wrong.

"When that pay is coming from my taxes to provide a service that I know longer want or need or see any sort of future in nor have a bevy of reliable alternatives to provide the same services then no matter what that guy is making they have it too good."

So you no longer want that service even though you have no alternatives?

Without commenting on the subject at hand, I will just say the bolded is why I don't take much of what right wingers say seriously. One-sided, short-term, me-me-me. Bleh.

And you are WRONG as stated by people that work there and people that live/d in households with people that worked there for decades. Jesus man.

Except that over seen the tax returns of several postal workers. .... and what you are saying is clearly false. Do you honestly expect us to believe the union allows salaries to be topped out at $20/hr when you start at around $18/hr.

Edit:

Did some actual research...and you are lying:

http://www.cupw.ca/index.cfm/ci_id/14323/la_id/1.htm

Under the current proposed agreement, you get raises every year. By year 7, you're making $25.44/hr and things go up from there.

This represents a major scale back from the previous agreement. Under that agreement, you started at $24.34/hr and went up from there.

Once again the scale back does not affect people already hired. So another example of the union locking in employees long term and those employees taking advantage of the new hires, who do more work for a lower wage.

Without commenting on the subject at hand, I will just say the bolded is why I don't take much of what right wingers say seriously. One-sided, short-term, me-me-me. Bleh.

It has nothing to do with greed or being right or left wing. All citizens should hold their government accountable for every single dollar they spend. That includes stamping out both corruption and inefficiency.

Also, neither Canada Post nor USPS has ever lost my mail. In fact, I have never lost any mail regardless of who is delivering it.

However, I do think that CP adding banking services is redundant. I think Canada's banking sector is fairly saturated.

It has nothing to do with greed or being right or left wing. All citizens should hold their government accountable for every single dollar they spend. That includes stamping out both corruption and inefficiency.

from my taxes to provide a service that I know longer want or need or see any sort of future in nor have a bevy of reliable alternatives to provide the same services then no matter what that guy is making they have it too good.

Can you point out where he mentions accountability, fiscal responsibility, corruption or inefficiency?

I'm not talking about "it", I'm talking about Ron's comment.

from my taxes to provide a service that I know longer want or need or see any sort of future in nor have a bevy of reliable alternatives to provide the same services then no matter what that guy is making they have it too good.

Can you point out where he mentions accountability, fiscal responsibility, corruption or inefficiency?

I'm not talking about "it", I'm talking about Ron's comment.

I actually think his comments are fair. Countries all over the world are privatizing their postal service. For whatever reason Canada is subsidizing an increasingly inefficient and useless service with tax dollars. The major reason is pressure from the union led lobby groups.

I actually think his comments are fair. Countries all over the world are privatizing their postal service. For whatever reason Canada is subsidizing an increasingly inefficient and useless service with tax dollars. The major reason is pressure from the union led lobby groups.

Which ones and how so?

You didn't answer the question.

Google.com

Several countries have undergone or are in various stages of privatizing their national postal service:

Privatized in 2000. As of early 2005, 20% of outstanding shares were owned by the German government. In the finance community, Deutsche Post is often cited as a privatization success story.

Currently majority-owned by the government, Japan Post is scheduled for complete privatization in 2007. Significant opposition to the Government's privatization plan exists.

http://en.wikipedia....e_privatization

That's it. Do you ever know what you're talking about?

In 2013, a fifteen year process of the liberalization of postal services in the European Union came to a preliminary end as the last member states abolished the remaining sections of the national post monopolies.[1] In theory, any private company that obtains a license from the market regulator can now provide postal services in Europe. In practice, the letter markets are still dominated by the former national post companies, some of which have been privatized,[2] and only in a few countries new competitors have acquired more than ten per cent of the market share.[3] After fifteen years of market-opening the balance sheet of post liberalization is overwhelmingly negative.

Market competition exists but only in some countries and in certain market segments such as parcel and express mail delivery as well as unaddressed mail (such as advertizing leaflets). The post office network has been drastically reduced and replaced with private partners such as grocery stores or gas stations, offering a reduced range of services. In Germany and the Netherlands, the former national post companies have completely given up operating their own postal outlets.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/deregulating-and-privatizing-postal-services-in-europe/5363277

Teach me not to do more research before getting all uppity. I'm sorry, and I hang my head in shame.

Archived