The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

15 year old Jakob Chychrun - the next one.

http://www.qnetnews.ca/?p=34331

jakob7.jpg

AHchychrun.jpg

Jakob Chychrun (7) celebrates with teammates including Justin Lemcke (5) of the Belleville Bulls at the 2014 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge. Photo Courtesy of Hockey Canada

By Andrew Heliotis

BELLEVILLE He stands well over six feet tall on skates and is listed at 195 pounds. He shoots the puck at over 100 miles an hour and has been a key player everywhere hes been. Not bad for a 15-year-old defenceman.

Jakob Chychrun made history this past holiday season as the only player to ever compete at the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge held this year in Cape Breton, N.S. while still in minor midget. Chychrun (pronounced CHICK-run) had an impressive point-per-game finish and was tied for fourth on Team Ontario in scoring.

It was there that Belleville Bulls head coach and general manager George Burnett got his first glimpse of a young man many are heralding as hockeys Next One.

The consensus is that Chychrun will be the No. 1 draft pick for the Ontario Hockey League this April.

Jacob is an elite player at his age group, and when you have an opportunity to represent your province like he did and youre younger than the rest of the players on your team thats quite a feather in your cap, to be put in a situation where the brass at Hockey Canada and Team Ontario feel that strongly about your game, Burnett said.

Bulls defenceman Justin Lemcke played with Chychrun for the first time at the Under-17 tournament.

It was really special to go over to Cape Breton and be with some of the guys I played against in minor midget and the amount of talent over there and of course Chychrun came up and Id never even played against him, so it was cool to see how good he was.

Lemcke was impressed by Chychruns skating ability.

Not just physically on the ice but also away from the ice hes really mature. I think his skating might be the biggest thing he can do, but also his puck movement hes an all-around player.

Physically it would be hard not to notice Chychrun even if he were in a National Hockey League dressing room. It was his size that Bulls forward Adam Laishram, 16, who is in his first season in the Ontario Hockey League, noticed when he met Chychrun as a fellow member of the Ontario Under-17 team.

He sure doesnt look 15, thats the first thing. Hes got great height. And hes not just lanky; hes filled out, quite a bit more developed than some of the guys my age and even older.

Laishram, who this season has lined up on the hash marks across from many of the greatest young talents in the league, said he sees Chychruns talents translating well to the OHL.

At the Under-17s, he was right up there jumping in the rush. And hes a physical presence and Im sure any team would be glad to have him, Laishram said.

Chychruns final season in minor midget has been as #7 with the Greater Toronto Hockey Leagues Jr. Canadians. He is the son of former NHL defencemen and Stanley Cup winner (with the Pittsburgh Penguins) Jeff Chychrun.

Jakob was born in Florida, but because his father was born in LaSalle, Que., he was able to choose between Canadian and American junior hockey. His decision to play in Toronto points heavily toward an OHL career. It was a decision, said the Bulls Burnett who was Jeff Chychruns coach when he played in the American Hockey League that he knows the Chychrun family took very seriously.

They are a hockey family, and they certainly understand what all that means going into the next few months for him during his playoff run (with the GTHLs Canadiens), through to (that leagues) OHL Cup, then entering the OHL, Burnett said.

Because there are still 18 games remaining in the OHLs regular season, no one knows which team Chychrun will end up with. Lemcke, whom the Bulls picked in the first round of last years draft,said that in his experience its a little bit of pressure the first couple games (in the OHL), then once you play two or three you realize its just hockey. But (Chychrun) will figure that out quick.

Remember the name - Jakob Chychrun. This is really unheard of; fifteen years of age and he's 6'2", 195lbs, and shoots the puck over 100mph! He's already rounded off his physique and is just a monster unlike any other....has great skating, vision, puck handling, shot - the complete package - and the cherry ontop, a bruising, bone-crunching hitter!

They say nothing is written in stone but this is as close as it gets to it. #1 selection in the OHL priority draft by the Bulls (same team as Jordan Subban!!) and is already being penciled in as the #1 overall pick in the NHL. Again, just unheard of and this is something you hear in fiction stories...a phenom in the making. Whichever team lands this stud in the NHL will be celebrating for an eternity...remember the name, Jakob Chychrun.

Damnit, i was hoping for a next Lindros find so what a buzz kill. There will never ever be a guy as physical dominant, and elite offensively as Lindros was once was. This kid is overdeveloped over other kids, so it doesn't say much about him. Talk to me, when he's playing with kids, his size.

. ...if all this doesn't scream at you Eric Lindros 2.0, nothing will. Again, just unheard of and this is something you hear in fiction stories...a phenom in the making. Remember the name...whichever team lands this stud in the NHL will be celebrating for an eternity.

Lindros was a forward....

He plays forward as well...and as for Lindros, in comparison to the style of game he plays. Very similar to how Lindros played.

It helps when he's 6'2, while the other kids at 5'5. Can hardly say anything about the kid. Premature for anyone to say anything about the kid. This reminds me of Vancouver's own Steven Anthony.

Chychrun is a defenseman, its in your first bolded point.

Calm down lol, he's also a forward, not hard to comprehend no? It says defense in the point okay, but he also plays forward. If you don't agree with me, agree with his own Twitter account where he says so...

Calm down lol, he's also a forward, not hard to comprehend no? It says defense in the point okay, but he also plays forward. If you don't agree with me, agree with his own Twitter account where he says so...

All the clips I've seen of him have him on defense, elite prospects has him listed as a defender, and he's expected to play defense in the OHL and beyond.

I'd be angry too, thinking there was a next Eric Lindros. He'd be like a Lebron of the NHL. Unfortunately, we'll never see anything like Lindros again.

It helps when he's 6'2, while the other kids at 5'5. Can hardly say anything about the kid. Premature for anyone to say anything about the kid. This reminds me of Vancouver's own Steven Anthony.

Frame does not = instant success, at least in hockey lol.

He's not the only kid noticeably bigger than most in his age group. Thing is, he is exceeding expectations skill wise off the charts. There's bigger skaters in every league but just cause they're big doesn't mean they'll dominate automatically. Need to be able to have other traits other than that and he does if you get me thought I do understand you but at the same time, don't think it's his frame which is giving him this instant success cause there's other factors too.

Frame does not = success.

He's not the only kid noticeably bigger than most in his age group. Thing is, he is exceeding expectations skill wise off the charts. There's bigger skaters in every league but just cause they're big doesn't mean they'll dominate automatically. Need to be able to have other traits other than that and he does if you get me thought I do understand you but at the same time, don't think it's his frame which is giving him this instant success cause there's other factors too.

All the bigger skaters usually get recognized early, usually around 15 because everyone is so desperate to find the next great one. Every year, there is hype for taller guys who then, disappears and busts. I remember reading a list of players on HFboard, but i can't quite grasp the thread to find it.

Here, I've been quite negative about a 15 year old, so here's some ups. He was born and raised in florida, technically a product of America, but he's decided to play for Canada. His father was a Canadian hockey player, so if he ever turns into anything, at least, he'll play for Canada. (Olympic mood)

Here, I've been quite negative about a 15 year old, so here's some ups. He was born and raised in florida, technically a product of America, but he's decided to play for Canada. His father was a Canadian hockey player, so if he ever turns into anything, at least, he'll play for Canada. (Olympic mood)

Great info find, Rey! Thanks.

We often hear about Canadians ditching their nationality to join the US and this guy's ditching the US for us! I love it! ;)

Great info find, Rey! Thanks.

We often hear about Canadians ditching their nationality to join the US and this guy's ditching the US for us! I love it! ;)

Don't think he's ditching his nationality.

He's an American who chose to play in Canada.

I don't know enough about this kid to weigh in truly in detail.

But Lindros? Maybe more Pronger.

His highlights including his passing ability, skating and shot all look similar and he's not done growing by a long shot.

A defensemen who looks like him with his potential size and his skill set, with steady motivation....

1st overall without question

Archived