The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Prices former backup goalie has advice for Luongo

Sugar baby watermelon

Link to article regarding Carey Prices backup goalie giving some sage advice to Roberto Luongo.

http://www.canada.com/olympics/news/advice-roberto-luongo-from-carey-prices-former-backup-goalie-88472

Pretty straight forward, talking down to Roberto, how he will be unseated by Price this Olympics. Talks about how as Prices backup how great he was in the minors and in the WJCs. It will hit all the wrong buttons here in CDC that is for s

Sorry don't know if I am violating any policies when posting an article, I have never tried this before.

Here is the article

By Nick Olynyk

As Carey Price’s former backup, I’d like to offer some goaltending advice to Roberto Luongo as he enters the Olympics.

No, it’s not the on-ice kind, Roberto. I’m talking about how you should prepare for when Carey Price takes your spot in net. I’m qualified to share my wisdom — I watched Carey for a whole season, from his team’s bench, with my freezing hand swinging the door.

That year, 2005, Carey burst from prospect status to Canada’s top junior goalie, winning a world junior championship gold medal for Canada — unlike your WJC silver, Roberto.

I caddied for “Pricey,” as was his nickname on our team, on the Western Hockey League’s Tri-City Americans. This was before his world junior heroics, before the hype really began.

My first week on (off?) the job, I saw Carey get three straight shutouts, including a 48-save performance to cap off the trifecta.

During that game we slipped up — a lot. Carey covered us every time. Until that night, I never saw a goalie stand up and cradle a top-corner shot on a 3-on-O. Most guys would have been tied in a knot after that play. Not Carey.

After the first period, I nestled back into my spot on the bench and got comfortable for the rest of the year. By playoff time, the seat of my hockey pants had faded, literally, from where my butt met the bench.

Roberto, you’ll want to cover your curly locks with a toque in Sochi. It gets cold on the bench.

OLY_MENS_HOCKEY_20140211_30315017.jpg

Team Canada goalies Carey Price and Roberto Luongo talk during practice at the Sochi Winter Olympics Tuesday February 11, 2014 in Sochi, Russia. (CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld)

Olaf Kolzig joined us during the NHL lockout that year. Not far removed from his Vezina Trophy season, I was in the presence of the one-time best goalie in the world and the then-best junior goalie in the world.

But let me tell you, Roberto, it’s kind of disheartening when a guy like Kolzig says, “That kid is something special. He’s 17 and he could already play in the NHL.”

Kolzig does have more Vezinas than you, just saying.

Carey also had an aura with fans. People were drawn to him as a person, not because he was a great hockey player.

Never in my career did I see a player who openly hugged fans he met, instead of shaking hands. Both the daughters and their mothers alike were just as eager to meet him. He’d chat with kids who idolized him after games, while we all watched from the bus.

I suggest you don’t wait around for Carey to finish signing autographs, Roberto. He’ll pose for pictures with every person.

Backing up Carey was the highlight of my junior career. I trained and played among some of the best goalies in the world: Kolzig, Josh Harding, Braden Holtby, Cam Ward, Ben Scrivens, Devan Dubnyk, Darcy Kuemper, Team Canada’s Shannon Szabados and at least a dozen others in the college and pro ranks. Great goalies, but none compare to Carey’s raw talent. I’m telling you, Roberto, things will change when he steps on the ice.

I have no doubt Canada will do well if I see a Luongo namebar above the crossbar this Olympics. You’ve done it for us before, Roberto. However, when I’m sitting on a wooden bar stool watching the game, I’ll put my bets on Carey Price. If he gets the net, he’s not leaving.

Trust me, Roberto, I know how you’ll feel.

- -

Nick Olynyk is a Canadian junior hockey expert. He is also author of the Junior Hockey Truth, and a second book will be published in the fall. His website, juniorhockeytruth.com, is for parents of bantam and midget hockey players who want to succeed at junior hockey.

lol hilarious coming from a guy I think many have including me have no clue who he is and obviously was never even close to make the NHL....Yeah Price did that in Jr. what more has he done in the NHL since?

And yeah Price may be the guy, he is playing great. But Lu already has his Gold on the biggest stage you could ever get...

Link to article regarding Carey Prices backup goalie giving some sage advice to Roberto Luongo.

http://www.canada.co...up-goalie-88472

Pretty straight forward, talking down to Roberto, how he will be unseated by Price this Olympics. Talks about how as Prices backup how great he was in the minors and in the WJCs. It will hit all the wrong buttons here in CDC that is for s

Sorry don't know if I am violating any policies when posting an article, I have never tried this before.

Here is the article

By Nick Olynyk

As Carey Price’s former backup, I’d like to offer some goaltending advice to Roberto Luongo as he enters the Olympics.

No, it’s not the on-ice kind, Roberto. I’m talking about how you should prepare for when Carey Price takes your spot in net. I’m qualified to share my wisdom — I watched Carey for a whole season, from his team’s bench, with my freezing hand swinging the door.

That year, 2005, Carey burst from prospect status to Canada’s top junior goalie, winning a world junior championship gold medal for Canada — unlike your WJC silver, Roberto.

I caddied for “Pricey,” as was his nickname on our team, on the Western Hockey League’s Tri-City Americans. This was before his world junior heroics, before the hype really began.

My first week on (off?) the job, I saw Carey get three straight shutouts, including a 48-save performance to cap off the trifecta.

During that game we slipped up — a lot. Carey covered us every time. Until that night, I never saw a goalie stand up and cradle a top-corner shot on a 3-on-O. Most guys would have been tied in a knot after that play. Not Carey.

After the first period, I nestled back into my spot on the bench and got comfortable for the rest of the year. By playoff time, the seat of my hockey pants had faded, literally, from where my butt met the bench.

Roberto, you’ll want to cover your curly locks with a toque in Sochi. It gets cold on the bench.

OLY_MENS_HOCKEY_20140211_30315017.jpg

Team Canada goalies Carey Price and Roberto Luongo talk during practice at the Sochi Winter Olympics Tuesday February 11, 2014 in Sochi, Russia. (CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld)

Olaf Kolzig joined us during the NHL lockout that year. Not far removed from his Vezina Trophy season, I was in the presence of the one-time best goalie in the world and the then-best junior goalie in the world.

But let me tell you, Roberto, it’s kind of disheartening when a guy like Kolzig says, “That kid is something special. He’s 17 and he could already play in the NHL.”

Kolzig does have more Vezinas than you, just saying.

Carey also had an aura with fans. People were drawn to him as a person, not because he was a great hockey player.

Never in my career did I see a player who openly hugged fans he met, instead of shaking hands. Both the daughters and their mothers alike were just as eager to meet him. He’d chat with kids who idolized him after games, while we all watched from the bus.

I suggest you don’t wait around for Carey to finish signing autographs, Roberto. He’ll pose for pictures with every person.

Backing up Carey was the highlight of my junior career. I trained and played among some of the best goalies in the world: Kolzig, Josh Harding, Braden Holtby, Cam Ward, Ben Scrivens, Devan Dubnyk, Darcy Kuemper, Team Canada’s Shannon Szabados and at least a dozen others in the college and pro ranks. Great goalies, but none compare to Carey’s raw talent. I’m telling you, Roberto, things will change when he steps on the ice.

I have no doubt Canada will do well if I see a Luongo namebar above the crossbar this Olympics. You’ve done it for us before, Roberto. However, when I’m sitting on a wooden bar stool watching the game, I’ll put my bets on Carey Price. If he gets the net, he’s not leaving.

Trust me, Roberto, I know how you’ll feel.

- -

Nick Olynyk is a Canadian junior hockey expert. He is also author of the Junior Hockey Truth, and a second book will be published in the fall. His website, juniorhockeytruth.com, is for parents of bantam and midget hockey players who want to succeed at junior hockey.

So some no name backup goalie that was backing up Price in Juniors is giving advice to a 34 year old, 14 year NHL veteran destined to go into HHOF? That is rich coming from someone I haven't heard of. Price might end up backing Luongo in the end just like Brodeur and you know the rest of the story.

Uh oh, looks like Price is getting the start in the 1st game too, yikes, let the fun begin right??

Its not like Luongo hasn't been in the same situation when he was backing Schneider through regular season and then the playoffs. Luongo is an older goalie that has seen everything and has experienced everything. So no one can really give him advice on things that he already has known and experienced, especially from some no name scrub. Am sure Luongo will be supportive of Team Canada's decision whether he is a starting goalie or a backup goalie.

Publicly preachin' to the Eastern choir, hey there little guy? What a lame excuse for 'informed', this pretentious drivel..Gee, mister-seen it all haven't you?

If he were talkin to Luongo, face to face, he'd probably morph into a little shy, obsequious fanboy.

Idiotic, arrogant, flippant & disrespectful..& I'm no over-the-top Lu-worshipper.

Who cares? We either get our team goalie or a goalie from just 3 hours down the road. ( I can say this and I've got more of a reason to dislike Price than probably anyone here)

Quit being homers and be patriots. It's not about the Canucks. It's about team Canada.

I don't think many people have a bias in terms of who is in goal (except maybe for apollo). I think people have an issue with some backup WHL goalie writing such a slanted piece.

EDIT: Actually, I take it back. Re-read the article and it really isn't that slanted. Just his experience with Price. His last few sentences of the article note that he would still be confident in Canada if Lu were between the pipes.

Archived