The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canada vs Finland, preliminary round game 3

goalie13

game3_zpse7bf3e7c.jpg

460x.jpg

Sunday, February 16, 9:00 am PST

On the line... first place in the pool and a bye directly into Wednesday's quarterfinals. Loser risks having to play in Tuesday's playoff round.

Canada possible lines

Kunitz - Crosby - Carter

Duchene - Toews - Nash

Marleau - Getzlaf - Perry

Benn - Tavares - Bergeron

Sharp

Keith - Weber

Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo

Vlasic - Doughty

Hamhuis

Price

Luongo

Finland possible lines

Ruutu - Koivu* - J. Jokinen

Komarov - Filppula* - Granlund

Selanne - - Korpikoski

Aaltonen - Barkov* - Kontiola

Lehtera, Pihlstrom

* Koivu, Filppula & Barkov are all hurt. Not sure how the lines will go.

Timonen - Salo

Vaananen - Maatta

Lepisto - Vatanen

Kukkonen, Hietanen

Rask

Niemi

I'm predicting Canada 4 - Finland 2

Edit - Just found out Price is starting and St.Louis & Subban are out.

I'd say Luongo has earned the start.. Outplayed Price so far, and everyone knows what he did last Olympics

Also, Subban didn't look great out there. Not bad, just didn't do anything impressive to stay in and didn't get much ice time.. I think they liked Hamhuis' play better

Hamhuis and Sharp are back in apparently, not sure who comes out, but I think Luongo gets the start. Babcock has said he'll think on it tomorrow.

Canada to re-insert Hamhuis, Sharp against Finns

Undefeated Finland still underdogs vs. Canada, says head coach Westerlund

Finland has scored 14 goals in two games, but Finnish coach Erkka Westerlund wants to make one thing very clear: They still face an uphill battle against Canada on Sunday.

“We are underdogs,” Westerlund said, according to NHL.com’s Dan Rosen.

That’s the role the Finnish want to be portrayed in and they’ve been pushing on their team since before the tournament started.

“It’ll be all about team. That’s our strength and we love to be the underdog,” assistant GM Jarmo Kekalainen said last week. “We’re going to bite everybody’s ankles and not let go — that’s the only way we’re going to be successful.”

Selanne sat out part of the first game as a precautionary measure after a minor bump, and now Barkov was injured in the game today. With Koivu and Filppula already injured before the Olympics started, they might not have the depth to compete against Canada outside of in net.

Also, Subban didn't look great out there. Not bad, just didn't do anything impressive to stay in and didn't get much ice time.. I think they liked Hamhuis' play better

Really, Pierre? How do you know that? Hamhuis had the least ice time amongst D-men in the first game, didn't he? What you said about Subban could also apply just as easily to the guy from Smithers.

Get Kuntiz outta there.

Duchene-Crosby-Tavares

Benn-Getzlaf-Perry

Marleau-Toews-Carter

Sharp-Bergeron-St.Louis

Nash

D get Subban outta there.

Keith - Weber

Vlasic/Hamhuis - Doughty

Hamhuis - Pietrangelo

Bouwmeester

That depth.

THENNNNN LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO STARTS.

Hamhuis and Sharp are back in apparently, not sure who comes out, but I think Luongo gets the start. Babcock has said he'll think on it tomorrow.

Canada to re-insert Hamhuis, Sharp against Finns

Undefeated Finland still underdogs vs. Canada, says head coach Westerlund

Selanne sat out part of the first game as a precautionary measure after a minor bump, and now Barkov was injured in the game today. With Koivu and Filppula already injured before the Olympics started, they might not have the depth to compete against Canada outside of in net.

Tavares - Crosby - Carter

Sharp - Toews - Nash

Duchene - Getzlaf - Perry

Benn - Bergeron - Marleau

Kunitz, St. Louis

Keith - Weber

Doughty - Pietrangelo

Hamhuis/Bouwmeester - Subban

Vlasic

Luongo

Price

Vlasic comes out and Hamhuis/Bouwmeester rotate as the 7th D man?

Vlasic works with well Doughty. He lets Doughty focus on the offence while he can stay back.

I feel like Doughty has earned a spot in the top 4 after the first two games and Pietrangelo would allow him to focus on offense as well. Just my opinion.

Love the Olympics and love hockey but getting really tired of the Don Cherry circus act. It is the Olympics and you respect your competition regardless of the event. Don seems to think that hockey (Canadian hockey) is the only game on the planet. Also, Hrudey and the others are catching his disease. Healy, making comments like there are only three real NHL calibre hockey players on the Austrian team and the rest are just lining up to get Crosby's signature is classless. Yes, these teams are lower calibre than the NHL team and all you know what would break loose if we didn't dominate but there is no reason to make such stupid comments. Cherry did the same thing when he referred to the Norwegians as the Finns and when McLean corrected him he said, 'they are all the same!". Would like to see Cherry's face if someone said we Canadians are all the same in comparison to say the Americans? Time for CBC to drop the circus act and get some commentators for hockey who see the whole game from both sides.

I don't think Kunitz gets out of the lineup, one more game for him to adjust and if he doesn't play well then he doesn't deserve to be on the team just because of "chemistry."

My opinion on lines:

Kunitz-Crosby-Tavares

Duchene-Getzlaf-Perry

Marleau-Toews-Carter

Sharp-Bergeron-Benn

Nash

Keith-Weber

Vlasic-Doughty

Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo

Hamhuis

Luongo

Price

Doughty - Pietrangelo

Hamhuis/Bouwmeester - Subban

I can't see Bouwmeester being benched and playing without Pietrengelo.

They are both really good skaters that are solid defensively and they know how to play with each other. This is my favourite pairing because they play the same way.

Really, Pierre? How do you know that? Hamhuis had the least ice time amongst D-men in the first game, didn't he? What you said about Subban could also apply just as easily to the guy from Smithers.

If you happened to watch any of the recap or anything Hamhuis played more than expected on more pairings than expected, and played better than expected. Subban was also plastered to the bench a couple times.

Archived