The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When the goal is to win The Cup, all decisions, draft or otherwise, are based on how to win the playoffs.

I believe the trend is to larger, more physical teams, and LA is a fine example, I think.

Kopitar is 6'3, Brown is 6'0, Carter is 6'4, King is 6'3, Williams is 6'1, Toffoli is 6'1, Stoll is 6'1, Gaborik is 6'1, Lewis is 6'1.

6'1 is about average height so the "big" players are Kopitar, King, and Carter on offense. Here's what many people don't know, Sutter teaches a defensive, strong, finish your check hockey. He plays a hard nose game and influences it into his team, they finish their checks with big players not small players. Gaborik started hitting quite a bit once he came to LA which surprised me but also got me thinking which is what I know now.

The coach dictates how his players play. LA is a fast team not a big slow goon squad, they have alot of fast fire power (Carter, Toffoli, Gaborik, King, Williams) but also a physical two-way game lead by (Kopitar, Brown, Richards, Lewis, Stoll).

Boston is a better example for old school hockey. If we get a coach like Sutter in here you'll see everyone finish their checks even if it is a light hit.

Montreal upset Boston so this argument can go both ways.

Ehlers isn't a soft, scared Euro. He'll play in the corners and also the same size has Mike Richards at only 18 years old with plenty of room to grow.

I think AHL is best for Nylander, since in Sweden they tend to give prospects little ice time no matter how good they are. Also yes Shinkaruk and Nylander combo would be one of the most exciting pair in hockey. I would pay big bucks to see two Kane type players play together. Sick of seeing Kings hockey these days, so boring and every player just grinds like a machine no flair nothing....

Let's imagine if all the top picks reach their potential and become the player he was compared to, who would you pick with our 6th pick:

Reinhart/Toews

Bennett/Gilmour

Ekblad/Shea Weber

Draisaitl/Kopitar

MCD/C. Perry

Nylander/Pat Kane

Ehlers/P. Bure

Ritchie/Bertuzzi

Virtanen/Evander Kane

Easy for me, Ritchie.

I don't like the idea of trading Horvat and the 6th. I'd much rather trade 1 of Edler, Tanev, Hansen, Burrows, but if FLA included Kulikov I'd be willing to build around a deal including Horvat maybe.

Horvat, 6th, Hansen for Reinhart, Kulikov, 3rd or 2nd rounder?(Keep in mins this is the highest 2nd rd pick)

Would everybody actually be ok with the Canucks choosing Reinhart over Ekblad if they did end up choosing first?

Also, on a side note. Its been rumored that Calgary wants Ritchie or Virtanen. Could you see a deal happening between the Canucks and Calgary? It would Guarantee the Canucks Reinhart/Ekblad/Draisaitl or Bennet. It would also pretty much guarantee Calgary Ritchie or Virtanen plus another piece from the Canucks. Seems like a fit, but what would that piece have to be?

Would everybody actually be ok with the Canucks choosing Reinhart over Ekblad if they did end up choosing first?

Also, on a side note. Its been rumored that Calgary wants Ritchie or Virtanen. Could you see a deal happening between the Canucks and Calgary? It would Guarantee the Canucks Reinhart/Ekblad/Draisaitl or Bennet. It would also pretty much guarantee Calgary Ritchie or Virtanen plus another piece from the Canucks. Seems like a fit, but what would that piece have to be?

I would take Reinhart over Ekblad.

I think it'd be best for him to adapt to the NA style asap, placing him with the juniors ... not a fan of. Why not give him a head start and start from 3rd line minutes at the AHL?

Add on:

Imagine Shinkaruk & Nylander building a strong chemistry!

I think AHL is best for Nylander, since in Sweden they tend to give prospects little ice time no matter how good they are. Also yes Shinkaruk and Nylander combo would be one of the most exciting pair in hockey. I would pay big bucks to see two Kane type players play together. Sick of seeing Kings hockey these days, so boring and every player just grinds like a machine no flair nothing....

All that winning must surely suck for LA fans, that's for sure. I think i'll tell that Kings twitter guy that his team is boring.

You know what? A Hunter-Willie would bring fans out of their seats... Going 'oooooh' after they're planted head-first into the boards.

Seriously, why do we want to emulate the Oilers after watching LA assemble what could be a dynasty team?

And even if we decide to go the 'Chicago' route, well that means having at most one flashy small player with truly elite skill. That's not Ehlers or Nylander, perimeter mush.

Develop Shinkaruk. Done. Don't need a duplicate player when building a proper team.

It might be fun for a few guys to watch flashy-looking losses, but most people enjoy winning cups over that.

All that winning must surely suck for LA fans, that's for sure. I think i'll tell that Kings twitter guy that his team is boring.

You know what? A Hunter-Willie would bring fans out of their seats... Going 'oooooh' after they're planted head-first into the boards.

Seriously, why do we want to emulate the Oilers after watching LA assemble what could be a dynasty team?

And even if we decide to go the 'Chicago' route, well that means having at most one flashy small player with truly elite skill. That's not Ehlers or Nylander, perimeter mush.

Develop Shinkaruk. Done. Don't need a duplicate player when building a proper team.

It might be fun for a few guys to watch flashy-looking losses, but most people enjoy winning cups over that.

I don't think drafting 1 player will determine the entire make up of the team either way.

Anyone else get the feeling Dal Colle may be a bust? I mean he seems to work well around the net and may very well become a 30 goal scorer but I don't think he'll be elite

Honestly his attitude seem like it will become a issue.

Anyone else get the feeling Dal Colle may be a bust? I mean he seems to work well around the net and may very well become a 30 goal scorer but I don't think he'll be elite

I don't think he will be a bust. He might just be a player with a bad attitude.

I've watched many of Dal Colle's interviews now, and I don't necessarily agree with many of the comments about him having an arrogant or poor attitude. In the combine interview he did look a little annoyed at the questions, but he also mentioned how all the interviews were mentally draining, so I'm inclined to give him a pass on that interview. All the other interviews look fine, maybe a little awkward, but not everyone is charasmatic in front of a camera. I'd put more weight in Coaches comments, than in how he comes off in an interview.

Hell, the worst employee interview I ever conducted ended up being one of the best employees I've had.

The Canucks don't need another big physical powerforward up front. Ritchie and Virtanen are tempting, but this prospect pool has enough of them. Jensen, Kassian, Horvat and Gaunce are big and strong scorers - what this prospect pool needs is skill, and especially down the middle. We have no one to replace Henrik Sedin as a top line center and these franchise players are hard to come by through free agency. We could trade a defenceman for one, throw our picks away at one or try and draft one and this season we actually have a good stab at some.

Just look at the Kings. Yes, they have Brown and Kopitar who are physical beasts, and they have giants like King and Nolan in their bottom-6 who can score gritty goals, but these powerforwards are complemented by an even number of purely skilled guys who rarely hit or play dirty hockey - Gaborik and Williams. Ideally, we'd find players who fit both moulds (Kopitar/Getzlaf/Toffoli/Malkin mould) but this is a rarity, and while Virtanen and Ritchie look like they may be able to score at high levels in junior, it's often a completely different game in the big leagues, which is where many powerforwards fall down.

There are far more skilled players out there in the draft than Ritchie and Virtanen which is what we want to target this draft, and I'm not just talking about Nylander and Ehlers.

Kapanen and Nylander are very possibly going to go in the top-5 (Ehlers might surprise a few and go top-5 too). Obviously Ekblad and Reinhart are going in the top-3. Sam Bennett's stock may have fallen a bit after not being able to do a pull-up at the Combine, but he's still an elite player and will definately go in the top-5. That means the Canucks are pretty much going to get a shot to draft Draisaitl (if Nylander and Kapanen both go in the top-5), MDC (if only one of the European forwards go early), Nylander or heck even Kapanen. We have no need to target Ritchie or Virtanen with the top-5 quality that's out there and the fact that one of them will likely fall.

If we pick Virtanen with the 6th overall pick, Im done with this team.

lol wow overreact much? I'd be upset too if we pick virtanen at 6. but its not the end of the world. if we traded down to 10 and picked him there I'd be okay with that.

I'm fine with giving away any roster players and a prospect not named Horvat in order to get this deal done.

Yeah me too. I forgot to add that. I try to keep Horvat and Kassian as untouchable. Reinhart Horvat 1-2 punch down the middle would be unreal.

I just go all in if I'm benning and try my damnedest to get it back in the Kesler deal. I'd really target pouliot after that.

Then you got your top 2 centres of the future, Your puck moving star offensive dman and your tough top six scoring winger in Kassian. After that your just drafting BPA and stacking prospects to fill the easier to fill holes.

The Canucks don't need another big physical powerforward up front. Ritchie and Virtanen are tempting, but this prospect pool has enough of them. Jensen, Kassian, Horvat and Gaunce are big and strong scorers - what this prospect pool needs is skill, and especially down the middle. We have no one to replace Henrik Sedin as a top line center and these franchise players are hard to come by through free agency. We could trade a defenceman for one, throw our picks away at one or try and draft one and this season we actually have a good stab at some.

Just look at the Kings. Yes, they have Brown and Kopitar who are physical beasts, and they have giants like King and Nolan in their bottom-6 who can score gritty goals, but these powerforwards are complemented by an even number of purely skilled guys who rarely hit or play dirty hockey - Gaborik and Williams. Ideally, we'd find players who fit both moulds (Kopitar/Getzlaf/Toffoli/Malkin mould) but this is a rarity, and while Virtanen and Ritchie look like they may be able to score at high levels in junior, it's often a completely different game in the big leagues, which is where many powerforwards fall down.

There are far more skilled players out there in the draft than Ritchie and Virtanen which is what we want to target this draft, and I'm not just talking about Nylander and Ehlers.

Kapanen and Nylander are very possibly going to go in the top-5 (Ehlers might surprise a few and go top-5 too). Obviously Ekblad and Reinhart are going in the top-3. Sam Bennett's stock may have fallen a bit after not being able to do a pull-up at the Combine, but he's still an elite player and will definately go in the top-5. That means the Canucks are pretty much going to get a shot to draft Draisaitl (if Nylander and Kapanen both go in the top-5), MDC (if only one of the European forwards go early), Nylander or heck even Kapanen. We have no need to target Ritchie or Virtanen with the top-5 quality that's out there and the fact that one of them will likely fall.

Draisaitl isn't falling past 4. Bennett stock hasn't moved. Gm's put little care into the combine, it's mostly used to get to know a players personality and meet the kid they've been watching all year. Remember they've all watched these kids play in in-game situations prior and they seen what they can do on the ice. The top 5 are set. the only thing that will change the scene is if a trade happens.

Ekblad

Bennett

Draisaitl

Reinhart

Dal Colle

Archived