The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not that I agree but....

Scoring is a pretty important dimension.

Exactly, and the most skilled scorer usually gets the best checkers for a reason. Nylander is the way to go here. In a few years he wont be small. He trains hard as shown at the combine and hes already 5'11. Get him buying in defensively and he could be the best player in the draft.

Horvat is an important piece in any rebuild effort.

Don't trade up in this draft by selling off major rebuild pieces. That's so short-sighted it's ridiculous. Instead use the NEXT draft to acquire the franchise player we need.

If the Canucks trade Kesler, this easily is within reach.

Time for a plan that involves more than panic decisions and half-baked trades.

Horvat , Nylander> Reinhart.

I am confident a lot of the Nylander supporters are Swedish Canucks fans who just hate seeing all the comments about drafting a Canadian.

If they personally cheered for Nylander in youth leagues I could see them never giving up on getting the Nucks to draft him.

Yeah I dont think so. Most people like Nylander because he lit up the under 18's and killed it at the combine. Most detractors heard about attitude problems but he seems pretty professional from the combine experience and he is Swedish/Canadian.

Nylander, Ritchie, Ehlers, Virtanen... none of these guys really appeal to me. They all have second line potential but we need top end talent. We need to trade up and get Reinhart or Ekblad.

I might package 6th and 10th for 1st to get Reinhart but definitely not 6th and Horvat @#$% that noise. If we get the 10th along with the 6th Id rather have Nylander and Virtanen/Ritchie then trade for Reinhart honestly.

Watch him play in the under 18's then tell me what you think.

0 point against the Canadians.

1 point against the US.

All his points came from playing against inferior teams and shutdown against tougher opponents.

1 point against the US.

All his points came from playing against inferior teams and shutdown against tougher opponents.

Looking at his Swedish stats...

2012-2013: 43 points in 27 games on the Sodertalje J20 team. Was 16 or 17 while playing.

2013-2014:

27 points in 35 games in the Allsvenskan. Playing in a men's league at 17.

7 points in 22 games in the SHL. Averaged 13 minutes per game and managed to get 7 points in the top Swedish league at 17 or 18.

His point production shouldn't be a turn off

Looking at his Swedish stats...

2012-2013: 43 points in 27 games on the Sodertalje J20 team. Was 16 or 17 while playing.

2013-2014:

27 points in 35 games in the Allsvenskan. Playing in a men's league at 17.

7 points in 22 games in the SHL. Averaged 13 minutes per game and managed to get 7 points in the top Swedish league at 17 or 18.

His point production shouldn't be a turn off

If you compare his stats to his Swedish counter-parts in previous draft years (Lindholm and Forsberg), both of them were almost a point per game in the SEL, as a 17 year old. I would say Nylander is a rank below both those two, because of his body stature, and the inability to play a two-way game.

If you compare his stats to his Swedish counter-parts in previous draft years (Lindholm and Forsberg), both of them were almost a point per game in the SEL, as a 17 year old. I would say Nylander is a rank below both those two, because of his body stature, and the inability to play a two-way game.

Elias Lindholm is a beast, there's a reason he went that high in the deepest draft in a decade. You did the the Forsberg thing wrong though. Filip Forsberg, in his draft year did not play in the SHL. He played in the Swe-1 and accumulated 17 points in 43 games, not nearly as good as Nylander. Nylander got at total of 27 points in 35 games in the same league as well as 7 points in 22 games playing in the highest league in Sweden. Now Forsberg went 11th in his draft year but looking in to the draft now, he should've went a bit higher. Nylander has done better in his draft year by quite a bit. I know what many Nylander haters are going to say now,"Forsberg is 6'1 and Nylander is 5'11". 2 inches will not make or break his career, plus he will most likely grow another inch or two by the time hes Forsbergs age.

I feel like we really could benefit from trading up to #1. What kind of offer would it take for Florida to accept? I've heard 6th+Horvat. Would a good defensive prospect like Tanev, 6th, and a 3rd or 2nd round pick do it? Or a solid defensive forward like Hansen?

1 point against the US.

What about your boy Perlini? He had 2 goals against Slovakia, and 1 assist against Germany. Then he scored 1 goal against Sweden. That's all. Are we supposed to be impressed by him?

Why does everyone act like they know everything about Nylander? Do you know that The Canucks have professional scouts?

Thomas Gradin and Naslund as well as prob 10 other people will inform the Canucks on who Nylander truely is.

If the Canucks pick 6th it won't be a roll of the dice, it will be a strategic and educated move based on months and months of research

Stop arguing and comparing him to every other swede, they will pick the BPA

Watch him play in the under 18's then tell me what you think.

Totally inferior tournament at the end of the year where 80% of the players don't even show up. It's not a good judge of hockey future.

1 point against the US.

This, if anything his play in the tournament should put up a red flag or two. He does absolutely nothing, zero, zilch, nada against the only good teams he played and then piled on points against crap teams when most players would have been content being up 5 goals thats where he pours in his points. This tournament can't make a player but it can break him. I don't know enough about these guys to say who to draft but if it was my job I'd be very worried considering his performance in this tourney.

Totally inferior tournament at the end of the year where 80% of the players don't even show up. It's not a good judge of hockey future.

This, if anything his play in the tournament should put up a red flag or two. He does absolutely nothing, zero, zilch, nada against the only good teams he played and then piled on points against crap teams when most players would have been content being up 5 goals that where he pours in his points. This tournament can't make a player but it can break him. I don't know enough about these guys to say who to draft but if it was my job I'd be very worried considering his performance in this tourney.

Lol that is so not true. If you're gonna put up arguments, at least make them credible. It's not that hard.
He does absolutely nothing against top teams? Sure he didn't have any points against USA, but he still dominated in that game. I bet you didn't even watch any of those games, if any u18 game at all. So you're saying it's somehow a "red-flag" that he had 16 points in 7 games? Lol. Finland is a "crap team". They lost to Czech Republic in the group stage (3-4) who later went on to win gold, and USA (3-4) who were also finalists. Then Sweden completely smashed Finland in the playoffs. I will never understand people like you. Why do you make up things to make prospects look worse?

I don't know enough about these guys

Yeah i can tell..

Mike Morreale@mikemorrealeNHL

NHL Draft: The Canucks like local prospects Sam Reinhart, Jake Virtanen. Won't rule out possible trade to move up. http://tinyurl.com/naesq76

In an interview with the Global News last month, Linden acknowledged how thrilled the organization is to be selecting No. 6. It is the highest draft slot for the Canucks since choosing Daniel and Henrik Sedin with the Nos. 2 and 3 picks in 1999.

"The fact the top of the draft is thin on defensemen … it would appear there are good, big power forwards available," Linden said.

Canucks general manager Jim Benning told The (Vancouver) Province that during the NHL Scouting Combine last month he was especially impressed by two Western Hockey League players with Vancouver roots, Sam Reinhart of the Kootenay Ice and Jake Virtanen of the Calgary Hitmen.

"Reinhart is a real smart guy and he had these measured answers," Benning told the newspaper. "Halfway through the interview I said: 'It's just like talking to your dad [former NHL defenseman Paul Reinhart].'"

Benning and Paul Reinhart were teammates for two seasons with the Vancouver Canucks.

The Canucks, according to the team's website, interviewed 64 prospects at the Combine, spending approximately 20 minutes with each player.

"Those top-end kids were really good and really impressive," Benning said. "If you like the player and they come in and have a bad attitude or the personality doesn’t match up, you get nervous. But that didn't happen at all."

Kind of what we already knew, but just something different from arguing back and forth over our favourite picks.

Makes you wonder if they would in fact pass over Nylander and nab Virtanen at 6...?

I've said all along that Virtanen is most like the player Team L-B has described wanting but I still guessed they'd have a tough time turning down Nylander's higher ceiling.

Short of one of the top 5 falling I'd guess it's between those two.

Man I wish the draft would just get here!

Lol that is so not true. If you're gonna put up arguments, at least make them credible. It's not that hard.
He does absolutely nothing against top teams? Sure he didn't have any points against USA, but he still dominated in that game. I bet you didn't even watch any of those games, if any u18 game at all. So you're saying it's somehow a "red-flag" that he had 16 points in 7 games? Lol. Finland is a "crap team". They lost to Czech Republic in the group stage (3-4) who later went on to win gold, and USA (3-4) who were also finalists. Then Sweden completely smashed Finland in the playoffs. I will never understand people like you. Why do you make up things to make prospects look worse?

Yeah i can tell..

Well I did say that I don't know the players enough so I don't know what more you want. I was just talking point wise. At the same instance that people look to his 16 points he scored 1 against the 2 best teams in the tournament. I would make that part of my evaluation. I just don't put much stock in an U-18 tournament that happens in April and likely has a lot of these players playing in an international stage for the first time.

My apologies to you Mr. Hedman, I did not make the comment to condemn a prospect it was just a comment based on what I've seen over the years, and I didn't call him crap I just said it would raise awareness if I was the one doing the picking.

Trying to re-quote Morreale's tweet from elvis15's post; not sure if it worked:

Mike Morreale ‏@mikemorrealeNHL

NHL Draft: The Canucks like local prospects Sam Reinhart, Jake Virtanen. Won't rule out possible trade to move up. http://tinyurl.com/naesq76

Thanks Elvis,

This definitely provides food for thought.

Is Mike Morreale trying to say that Benning or Linden said they "won't rule out possible trade to move up"?

I got the impression that Benning thought it would cost more than it was worth to trade to move up but I cannot remember where I read that.

If so, it opens up a lot of possibilities.

Florida is a good trading partner for us (JB, TL, et al), but we might not need their 1st overall to get Reinhart.

If we are targeting Reinhart, the 2nd overall might be good enough.

If Florida, or whoever gets the 1st overall pick wants Ekblad, we could take Reinhart with the 2nd.

Also, if we got the first, we may even prefer Ekblad over Reinhart.

Linden's comment about the draft being "thin on defensemen" precedes his comments about drafting "good, big, power forwards".

So maybe we would be going after Florida's pick to take Ekblad.

(By the way, it certainly does not sound like Nylander or Ehlers fit the "big, power forward" criteria to me.)

I remember Burke's machinations to land the twins, (at least I partly remember something about them).

Did he not at one point trade the first overall pick for the second?

This was probably done with the assurance from Atlanta (was it?) that they would not take a twin with the first.

That way, he was assured of getting the twins 2nd and 3rd.

Anyway, I get the feeling that there may be an opportunity this year to do something similar.

For example, we could get the 1st from Florida and trade it to say Edmonton who maybe wants Ekblad.

Edmonton has the assets Buffalo would want for the 2nd pick, but cannot guarantee that Ekblad would be there at number two.

Then we trade the 3rd plus assets to Buffalo for the 2nd, so that we can draft Reinhart (if that is indeed the prospect they want).

So we trade up to 1st, giving up assets; down to 3rd where Edmonton gives us assets; and back up to 2nd giving up assets, to take Reinhart.

I don't know (of course) but it keeps rolling around in the back of this old cranium that there may be a profitable way to do this.

There may even be a way to do it where we don't give up the 6th to Florida to get the 1st overall.

And/or give Buffalo enough assets to get their 2nd without giving them Edmonton's 3rd.

Maybe some of the necessary assets come from, for example, trading Kesler plus other assets deemed expendable.

Maybe we end up with the 2nd, 3rd, and 10th.

We could end up with say, Reinhart, Dal Colle, and Virtanen.

Greedy dreaming, I know, but this sure opens up possibilities.

Makes you wonder if they would in fact pass over Nylander and nab Virtanen at 6...?

I've said all along that Virtanen is most like the player Team L-B has described wanting but I still guessed they'd have a tough time turning down Nylander's higher ceiling.

Short of one of the top 5 falling I'd guess it's between those two.

Man I wish the draft would just get here!

That would be sad.

Archived