The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Are you stupid? There's always a chance that a european can't make the transition from the big ice to small ice. We don't know if they can handle the added NA physicality. We also don't know how their number stack up because they don't absorb huge minutes since they play with men and it's hard to compare their numbers to other draft eligibles since they don't play in the same league as many of them. That's for Europeans in general. And then there's the added risk like size and potential attitude issues coming from Nylander and the size issue from Ehlers.

To be fair, the scouts don't directly compare their numbers to the North American junior leagues. Even OHL, QMJHL, and WHL production can't be directly compared to each other because they're different.

You run into the same issue with players in any junior system, you never really know how they're going to respond to the NHL physically. You get guys who get by being smaller in youth leagues, but then can't do it in the NHL. Similarly, you get guys who are used to dominating small players with their size, and then really struggle once they face stronger competition in pro.

They might not play huge minutes in Europe, but there's a reason you still see some of these guys ranked highly by scouts. Trying to compare it to the big three junior leagues is pointless regardless of ice-time, because they're completely different.

Anyone notice the stats for Richie from the Combine? Now registering as 6'3" 236 lbs. Assuming that he hasn't quite finished growing, he could easily top out in the 6'4" 250+ lbs range. Would be like getting hit by a train!

Please note, this is not an endorsement to draft him! Can't say I'd hate having him as a prospect though!

Agreed he'll buy in. To a degree though. He's going to be picked for whatever offense he can muster and if he's not getting a legit shot in due time...

I think picks farther down the line than 6th overall you can afford to milk in development for years and years. Detroit does this year after year. The Canucks tend to go a bit to early for their small skill risk picks.

.....Just like we've done the last 3 years with our 1st pick.....

This will be the only draft in a long time were the Canucks can get a real good player. They should go all in on the skilled players in Nylander and Ehlers. We're probably not going to have a pick this high for a long time so I want them to take the risk with picking a high risk high reward player.

We will have a chance to get a player like Virtanen or Ritchie in any other draft no matter our position.

Or go all in and trade up for Reinhart/Ekblad

This will be the only draft in a long time were the Canucks can get a real good player. They should go all in on the skilled players in Nylander and Ehlers. We're probably not going to have a pick this high for a long time so I want them to take the risk with picking a high risk high reward player.

We will have a chance to get a player like Virtanen or Ritchie in any other draft no matter our position.

Or go all in and trade up for Reinhart/Ekblad

Please tell me the last time we could have drafted a CHL player who scored 45 goals and was over 6 feet.

Anyone notice the stats for Richie from the Combine? Now registering as 6'3" 236 lbs. Assuming that he hasn't quite finished growing, he could easily top out in the 6'4" 250+ lbs range. Would be like getting hit by a train!

Please note, this is not an endorsement to draft him! Can't say I'd hate having him as a prospect though!

Yea,except he came in out of shape, if he was up to NHL fitness standard he would probably be closer to 215-220 right now.

That is my biggest red flag for Ritchie... The guy is about to go into the NHL draft and is a top 10 rated prospect, but he's not even committed enough to be in shape? That worries me.

11 days of drafting my true love gave to me

10 threads about it

9 players we target

8 beauty highlights

7 reasons ehlers is kane like

6 ritchie relies on size posters

5 players that cannnn drop

4 Canadian starrrrssss

3 wrong picks

2 euro girls

And a giant thread thats full of stupid reasoning

What? I heard he started cutting weight. Isn't that what he should be doing?

Exactly. So once in a decade maybe even longer. We could hardly get a player like Virtanen in every draft.

That's not true at all.

Not at 6th.

There are better options.

If we get 10th in a deal with ANA i'm all in for Virtanen at 10th.

That's not true at all.

Not at 6th.

There are better options.

If we get 10th in a deal with ANA i'm all in for Virtanen at 10th.

I could see us taking nylander at 6 and ritchie at 10. Can somebody post a picture of the "why not both" taco girl... Cause that would be perfect

11 days of drafting my true love gave to me

10 threads about it

9 players we target

8 beauty highlights

7 reasons ehlers is kane like

6 ritchie relies on size posters

5 players that cannnn drop

4 Canadian starrrrssss

3 wrong picks

2 euro girls

And a giant thread thats full of stupid reasoning

53509-Hemorrhaging-upvotes--My-secon-Y7W