The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is exactly how I feel: http://www.puckrant.com/fire_and_ice/Whos_going_to_be_the_bust/3543

Nylander has the greatest risk of busting followed by Ehlers then Draisaitl.

Thank you for the link.

Its a Calgary Flames blogger. He is really high on Virtanen , Ekblad, Dal Colle and Reinhart.

He is not a fan of William Nylander. He blows off Ehlers almost like an afterthought so I take that with a grain of salt.

He says there was no bust in 2003. Hugh Jessiman comes to mind.

He says Virtanen is probably going to be a 30-40 goal scoring power forward. Lofty expectations. How many forwards score 30 to 40 goals in the

Anyone notice the stats for Richie from the Combine? Now registering as 6'3" 236 lbs. Assuming that he hasn't quite finished growing, he could easily top out in the 6'4" 250+ lbs range. Would be like getting hit by a train!

Please note, this is not an endorsement to draft him! Can't say I'd hate having him as a prospect though!

what? The combine results had him at 6'2.5 and 216 lbs. Did you read the front page blog? Those are incorrect stats.

I haven't heard many scouts question Virtanen's high end 'potential' actually. Just the consistency. There would be a rolling of the dice in that regard, but his speed and shot set him apart from Ritchie, who's also good, but a bit different. I fear for him because people are going to want Lucic from him, but he's got an injury history and a tendency to take bad penalties, unlike Lucic. He's more like a Clowe imho. I don't see Burke passing on him though.

The Schroeder pick busting is what i'd like to call foreseeable. And i can't help but feel that Nylander will end up being not like Schroeder, who's an outright bust, but a qualcomp-type player who vanishes in big games against big teams. Like Raymond and, well, the Sedins.

I do think that Virtanen is a better skater (read faster) than Ritchie. It doesn't mean Ritchie is a bad skater though. Ritchie is built like a truck, and he's a good skater. You wouldn't expect him to cruise around like Virtanen because he's carrying a bigger body. That's pretty much impossible for a guy his size. Virtanen's shot might be slightly better, but if so, it's not by far. Ritchie also has a great shot. They're both physical, but i think Ritchie could be physically dominant at the NHL level (like your typical powerforward). I don't think Virtanen will be that. Physical if anything, but not dominant. If you compare Virtanen's and Ritchie's season, you will notice 1 thing. 1 played for a top team (Virtanen) while the other pretty much carried his team (Ritchie). If Ritchie would have played for a top team, his numbers would have been much higher than they are. He would probably have had at least 90 points. Aside from this, i think that Ritchie's hockey IQ is higher than Virtanen's, something that should be valuated quite high.
I would be pretty happy if Ritchie turned into a Ryane Clowe (in his prime obviously) v2. That would be awesome, but i think it's really hard to compare powerforward prospects with actual NHL powerforwards, since there aren't too many.

The Kings proved this logic wrong. Kopitar had 2 assists in the Cup Finals, Carter had 1 goal, Gaborik had 2 goals. Those three are probably LAs best offensive threat and they won the Cup, without them putting up big numbers.

Ummm.......maybe it has something to do with his Twitter page, where it says, "give me the puck" at the top. You can tell just by looking at his highlight reels, when his team is down, he's a puck hog and tries to do everything himself.

So you mean that we didn't lose the Stanley Cup final 3 years ago because we only managed to score 8 goals in 7 games? I'm not too confident with drafting a guy who only had 1 assist in 7 games. Not at 6th. Okay maybe LAs best players didn't produce outstanding numbers in the finals, but those players did produce earlier on in the playoffs, which took them to where they were. That's not the case for Perlini though. If a guy doesn't show up in the CHL playoffs, it's less likely that he will show up in the NHL playoffs when it matters. You could also see it as "if Perlini would have been better/more productive, maybe they would've beaten North Bay instead of losing to them?" Considering they lost in 7 games and Perlini only had 1 assist, i'd say that you can definitely blame the series loss partly on him. After all he's their second best scorer, after Verhaeghe. He didn't produce, literally (kinda). The end result? They lost.

Exactly. So once in a decade maybe even longer. We could hardly get a player like Virtanen in every draft.

Brett MacLean put up 47 goals in the OHL with Oshawa and in the summer (07) he got drafted by Phoenix in the 2nd round.

He is a UFA as of today.

Also, scoring isn't the only thing that matters for a hockey player.

Virtanen or Ritchie fits the bill choose skill in a very deep 2015 draft that has unreal skill not like Nylander or Ehlers the players next year are on a hole different level

What position will be drafting? And who do you have in mind for 2015?

My Prediction

To ANA: Kesler

To VAN: 10th + 24th + prospect

Canucks draft:

6th-Nylander, 10th-Ritchie 24th-BPA

http://youtu.be/vgk-lA12FBk

This is the best scenario in my opinion. 6, 10, 24, 36 should equate to solid future. Add them to Bo, Guance, Shink, Cassels and we have a nice looking prospect pool. Then hire the right coach to bring them along!

Thank you for the link.

Its a Calgary Flames blogger. He is really high on Virtanen , Ekblad, Dal Colle and Reinhart.

He is not a fan of William Nylander. He blows off Ehlers almost like an afterthought so I take that with a grain of salt.

He says there was no bust in 2003. Hugh Jessiman comes to mind.

He says Virtanen is probably going to be a 30-40 goal scoring power forward. Lofty expectations. How many forwards score 30 to 40 goals in the

Hugh Jessiman did not go in the top ten in that draft... i think he was 14th?

Nav097 ‏@Nav097

Benning: We will take forwards with our first two round picks. #CanucksTownHallRichmond @blakeprice1040 @BradZiemer @RJHenderson7

Nav097 ‏@Nav097

Benning confirms he has had talks with Tallon about the 1st overall pick. Expects Tallon to make decision night before draft. #Canucks

Nav097 ‏@Nav097

Benning: We will take forwards with our first two round picks. #CanucksTownHallRichmond @blakeprice1040 @BradZiemer @RJHenderson7

Nav097 ‏@Nav097

Benning confirms he has had talks with Tallon about the 1st overall pick. Expects Tallon to make decision night before draft. #Canucks

Boom thanks for the update

Here we go offense

What position will be drafting? And who do you have in mind for 2015?

I can't speak for him, but what I think he means is that someone that is 5'11 with speed skill offence comes around far more often so lets just wait off and draft that type of player next year, and this year draft the 6'3 220 lb dude that can fight and score goals.

Nav097 ‏@Nav097

Nav097 ‏@Nav097

I guess Fleury's combine interview didnt go as well as he had hoped?

Nav097 ‏@Nav097

Nav097 ‏@Nav097

Gaunce Tanev 6th

Reinhart

Get Garrison to the left side

Get Edler Willie Desjardins

We good to go

I guess Fleury's combine interview didnt go as well as he had hoped?

no....... It's just that Canucks top 6 does to Fleury in it... and looking at who might be available at round 2.... he knows it's not going to be a defencemen unless someone dramatically falls our of round 1.

Nav097 ‏@Nav097

Nav097 ‏@Nav097

So pretty much, Canucks already have an offer on the table for the 1st pick.....

Panthers going to wait til the last minute (or in other words see if another team can offer something better)

then decide. Gotcha Tallon. You sly dog.

Here's an idea of who might be available at 36.

1 to 5 - Ekblad, Bennett, Reinhart, Draisaitl, Dal Colle

6 to 11 - Nylander, Ehlers, Virtanen, Ritchie, Perlini

12 to 17 - Fleury, Fabbri, Larkin, Tuch, Milano

18 to 23 - Honka, Fiala, Barbashev, Kempe, McCann

24 to 29 - Vrana, Scherbak, McKeown, Schmaltz, Bleackley

30 to 36 - Kamenev, Goldobin, Demko, Lemieux, Pastrnak.

Any of those players I am fine with, I prefer a player like Vrana, Scherbak, Bleackley, to drop and they might because teams will go off the boards to draft a player.

I think your counting might be a wee bit off

Archived